• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

bailiffs entering my home with a locksmith

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: bailiffs entering my home with a locksmith

I think the crime is non payment of fines. Not having a TV license doesn't make you a criminal any more than not having a driving license does. It's when you begin actually driving your TV or watching your car (see what I did there) then you become a criminal of the worst kind. ha

Comment

Originally posted by siany View Post
      I have asked for a means hearing and was refused. The court told me there is nothing they can do to help me. I can't give you a break down of fine or swift fees as i do not know. I have searched my house for a letter but i do not have one sorry. All i have is the letter that was put through my door about the 403.00.
      I would remind them of the recent Judicial Review, if you were not in court when the fine was imposed. Also, if you income has changed, you should go back and ask for a Means Hearing. If the court staff are refusing you a Means Hearing, keep badgering them until they do.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

This is what the license website says:

"It’s against the law to watch or record TV programmes as they're being shown on TV without a valid licence. This includes the use of devices such as a TV, computer, mobile phone, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder."

Comment

The legislation

Part 4 of the Communications Act 2003 makes it an offence to install or use a television receiver to watch or record any television programmes as they're being shown on television without a valid TV Licence.

Comment

Until fairly recent the collection of fines was considered a civil mater( a debt to the state) which is why they were entrusted to civil collection agencies, and as such had only the same powers as associated to any other debt.
            This changed when section 4A was added to the 2004 DVCVA, this enabled collection officers (bailiffs) to enforce entry to enforce the collection of fines, effectively removing the common law right to refuse entry for the enforcement of debt orders.

Comment

As it turns out this is from 2011. As i stated it was being taken from the job seekers i was claiming at the time. I didn't keep track of what was paid off so when i got a job in may 2012 i was unaware of any outstanding debt. For the record i have been paying my tv licence since i have been working but when on benefits i could not afford it, have you ever tried to bring a child up on 80.00 a week? 7.00 A week might not seem like much but given the choice of putting electric or gas in my meter i choose gas and electric. My child and her well being was and is my main priority. So please don't preach to me about the law on tv licence. I HAVE A LICENCE now. Thank you

Comment

As it turns out this is from 2011. As i stated it was being taken from the job seekers i was claiming at the time. I didn't keep track of what was paid off so when i got a job in may 2012 i was unaware of any outstanding debt. For the record i have been paying my tv licence since i have been working but when on benefits i could not afford it, have you ever tried to bring a child up on 80.00 a week? 7.00 A week might not seem like much but given the choice of putting electric or gas in my meter i choose gas and electric. My child and her well being was and is my main priority. So please don't preach to me about the law on tv licence. I HAVE A LICENCE now. Thank you

Don't think anyone was preaching to you ? just stating the facts.

Comment

My child and her well being was and is my main priority.
                  For some strange reason, I had just popped in to say I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
                  I knew your concern was for your daughter.
                  I haven't read the recent posts, was just aware you're a father.

Comment

Siany,,of course your main priority was and is your child, and quite rightly so. this will get sorted.

Comment

Thank you. But i am female lol

Comment

Siany - if this is to do with CC's post - he was being ironic. Subsequent posts just factual and trying to help. Everyone here is on your side! x

Comment

Yep.

Personally, I have been caught by the TV Nazis myself, so I have no room to judge anyone on this.

Comment

I've not had a TV Licence for years!

As soon as I realised I could barely afford the Licence, I unplugged the set, de-tuned the receiver, removed the mains plug and tapped the aerial round so that it was pointing in quite the wrong direction. Then I invited the Enforcement wallah round to verify that I had no means to receive any broadcast televisual signals.

They've still not turned up and I doubt they'll bother.

Comment

In layman's terms, an Attachment of Benefits Order (ABO) and an Attachment of Earnings Order (AEO) means exactly what it says on the tin. Once you come off benefits, the ABO can no longer be used to collect any money owing. However, whoever has been granted an ABO or AEO and decides to stop collecting by that means must send you a written notice to inform you that they intend to cease using the ABO or AEO as a means of collection. This condition is contained within a number of pieces of legislation where ABOs or AEOs are a prescribed means of collection.
                              Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X