• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Scotcall 'door step recovery agents'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotcall 'door step recovery agents'

Any one had experience with these guys....apparently ones coming this week so a bit of a heads up what to expect/do etc would be great.

hes after £360 odd for HFC (H L Legal Sols) or CAPQUEST (thats where comms have to be addressed)

Thanks in advance
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Re: Scotcall 'door step recovery agents'

http://www.glasgowonline.co.uk/allreviews/21898/

Some interesting reviews on there.

I assume that you'll be checking who ever turns up is a certified bailiff??

Comment

If they are merely debt collectors, then there is no need for them to certificated, they are not bailiffs.

Obviously and irrespective of the fact that they are not bailiffs, you know not to let them in under any circumstances and if necessary, talk to them from an upstairs window. Of course, when I say "talk to them" I mean only that you should tell them to leave your property at once as they are not welcome and that any and all communication with you should be in writing.

What is the actual company name of this outfit Ame?

Comment

ummmm its HFC, HL Legal, Capquest, Sampson & Co.....all mentioned along with scotcall on this letter.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Scotcall carry out the actual doorstep calls for a number of companies. They are not bailiffs and have no powers whatsoever. If anyone should turn up, you are under no obligation to talk to them, much less to pay them.

If they refuse to leave, then they are committing the common law offence of trespass and you can take action against them or whoever instructed them. This is easy to do and can be done via your county court. The usual legal remedies for trespass are to take action for damages if any and/or to take out an injunction to prevent further or continuing trespass, which would be what you should do if you believe they will return.

You could also write to them and include something like this, along with a proposal for payment, if any.

Receiving continual threats by letter, threats of visits, and actual visits quite clearly constitutes harassment. Whilst I am sympathetic to your position of desiring to ensure that your client receives payment, your company's own agenda gives you no right either legally or morally to harass me.

Your visiting officers will not call at my address. This letter denotes prior written and legal warning that any such visit will constitute trespass and harassment. Normally there is an assumed right of entry to the front door of a property. However this is denied to your employees and agents and any such person as you may instruct in this or any other matter. Any such act will evidently constitute harassment since prior warning has been given.

Your company will not send me any threatening letters or any other correspondence; you will not visit my property. You may, of course, reply to this letter.

You have now been informed that any such visit or usual threatening letter, or threats of visits constitute harassment. You will immediately cease. You may, of course, reply to this letter. You will kindly acknowledge in your reply that you have noted and understood the contents of this letter.

Comment

Originally posted by Cetelco View Post
            Scotcall carry out the actual doorstep calls for a number of companies. They are not bailiffs and have no powers whatsoever. If anyone should turn up, you are under no obligation to talk to them, much less to pay them.

If they refuse to leave, then they are committing the common law offence of trespass and you can take action against them or whoever instructed them. This is easy to do and can be done via your county court. The usual legal remedies for trespass are to take action for damages if any and/or to take out an injunction to prevent further or continuing trespass, which would be what you should do if you believe they will return.

You could also write to them and include something like this, along with a proposal for payment, if any.
            hi. hope you can help ? we may have had a visit from scotcall they put a note through our letterbox with a card that just had a mobile phone no, on telling us dont ignore, please contact us. how worried do we need to be ? what rights have they got to recover money from us ? the debt is very old and has been sold on to different companies over the yrs for collection. it could be over 10yrs old now its approx £5000. a debt from the last resseciion

i would also like to know about the info in this post , how did you come by it, how do you know this will work ?

Comment

Jan, has it been 10 years since you acknowledged this debt or 10 years since you incurred it?

If it it 10 years since acknowledgment then it is statute barred and they cannot chase you for it, but you must be certain of when you last acknowledged this debt.

Scotcall are not bailiffs that is why they have no powers.

Comment

hi Amy the debt was incurred approx 10yrs ago and various collection agencies have written and phoned over the yrs, my husband rermembers having a phone conversation about 4yrs ago with one of the collection agencies. they then sold it on to someone else after giving up.

Comment

Do you have any paperwork for the debt? When did you last pay anything towards this?

Comment

If and I do mean only if you end up having to pay this debt, they have to take any amount you give them each week, if all you have is £2.50 that week they can't say "No!" You can just make the collector take that amount.

I have a very good collector and he says they have no right to take goods or anything else, so you can give him 500 pennies if you want... after all it's a payment...lol

Comment

Snotcall are simply a door step DCA and have ZERO legal powers.
                      I would advise NEVER to deal with them on the doorstep, but, as ever, everything should be done in writing.

Comment

Is there a postal address anywhere on the card they left you?

Comment

Originally posted by Amy View Post
                          Do you have any paperwork for the debt? When did you last pay anything towards this?
                          yes in the house somewhere, we last paid them approx 10 yrs ago, maybe more, this debt goes back to when our son was 10yrs old, he is now 23.
                          ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                          Is there a postal address anywhere on the card they left you?
                          hi. no there isnt.

can you tell me how you came by the info in your post earlier with regards to the letter you wrote above to scotcall ? has this worked for anyone before ?
                          Last edited by Jan; 6th November 2008, 22:31:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

In that case, send them the following letter, but only if;

The creditor has not already obtained a judgment against you

and

You, or any one else owing the money (on a debt in joint names) have not made a payment on the debt during the last six years

and

You have not written to the creditor admitting you owe the debt during the last six years

and

This was not a debt secured on property (for which the limitation period is 12 years)

The address for Scotcall is

Scotcall Debt Collecting Services
                            Spectrum Building
                            55 Blythswood Street
                            Glasgow
                            G2 7AT

Dear Sir

Ref No xxxxxxxxx

You have contacted me regarding the above account, which you claim a debt is owed by me.

As you will no doubt be aware, the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5 states that "an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued."

I would also point out that the OFT say under their Debt Collection Guidance on statute barred debt that "it is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation period".

The last payment of this debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from me in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act 1980, I suggest that you are no longer able to take any action against me to recover the alleged amount claimed.

The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that "continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statue barred could amount to harassment contrary to section 40 (1) of the Administration of Justice Act 1970".

Accordingly, I await your written confirmation that no further contact will be made concerning the above account and confirmation that this matter is now closed.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Comment

In that case, send them the following letter, but only if;

The creditor has not already obtained a judgment against you

and

You, or any one else owing the money (on a debt in joint names) have not made a payment on the debt during the last six years

and

You have not written to the creditor admitting you owe the debt during the last six years

and

This was not a debt secured on property (for which the limitation period is 12 years)

The address for Scotcall is

Scotcall Debt Collecting Services
                              Spectrum Building
                              55 Blythswood Street
                              Glasgow
                              G2 7AT
                              thank you for all that info, i can see you have a lot of knowledge on this, can you tell me how you have gained this knowledge, is it at a professional capacity ?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X