• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Equita bailiffs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equita bailiffs

In 2002 (I think) after being on a council waiting list for a few months I was offered a property by North Tyneside Council, I decided to take it and signed for the keys, at this time I was living with my mum in a rented house. after 4 days I decided I didn't want to leave my mums and move into the house so I decided to post the keys back to the council with a letter explaining that I no longer wanted the property and as the lady told me I had 7 days before rent was due I wanted to cancel before I had to pay anything. My mum and I decided we would rent a house together in a different town but still in the same county by a private landlord as her tenancy had ran out where she was. We moved and were both named on the tenancy as well as the council tax. Six months later I got a letter sent to my mums from NTC to say I owed rent and council tax and it needed to be paid, I called and advised that I couldn't as I never lived in the property and explained that I was already paying rent and council tax with my mum. I also advised the lady at the council that if she contacted any of the residents they would also have been able to tell her that no one was living in the property at the dates she said I was there.

I never heard any more from them until today when my mum gave me a letter dated 22/4/2009 which had been sent to her current address where she has lived since Nov 2004 from Equita Bailiffs addressed to me using my old surname which was changed in June 2003 saying that the bailiffs were coming at the weekend to remove goods. I have lived on my own now with my 8 year old daughter for 18 months and previous to that at my mothers and I have had no letters from NTC regarding this matter so I assumed they had corrected the information they were holding about me as it was not correct.

I am not sure what to do now as these bailiffs have been passed my details, how am I supposed to prove that I didn't live there afiter all this time? I think my mum may still have the tenancy agreement from the house we shared, if not I should be able to contact the letting agent for it to prove I lived there. I should also be able to get a statement from my previous employer and my bank to state the address they had on file for me.

I have done a search on a forum regarding Equita Bailiffs and have heard some horror storys

Can anyone help?

Re: Equita bailiffs

Bailiffs collecting council tax do not have the power to enter your home without you first having permitted them access and then only subsequently when they are in possession of a a valid and signed (by you) walking possession order.

This thread will explain it in a little more detail. Bailiff Guide - Legal Beagles

You need to write to the council and include any copies of letters you may have, to and from them, that you informed them at the time you were not going to take the property on.

You also need to write to Equita explaining the same. Include a copy of the letter to the council to Equita.

Make sure you do all of this in writing - no telephone calls, that way you have a full record.

Comment

Thank you for that, at least I can now tell my mum that she's not going to have people calling at her door, Its very annoying as i've never missed a days rent or council tax in my life and these letters are really scary!
      ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
      I did e-mail my local councillor to see if he could help but he has advised me he has no knowledge in that area and that I should contact the CAB as soon as possible!
      Last edited by dabraham; 1st May 2009, 16:28:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Yes they are scary, deliberately so. If the bailiffs do visit your Mum's property, you must make certain that she does not let them in.

If you need any help with the letters, feel free to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by dabraham View Post
          Thank you for that, at least I can now tell my mum that she's not going to have people calling at her door, Its very annoying as i've never missed a days rent or council tax in my life and these letters are really scary!
          I did e-mail my local councillor to see if he could help but he has advised me he has no knowledge in that area and that I should contact the CAB as soon as possible!
          I would not accept this from your local councillor. If he cannot help because he has no knowledge, then he should learn!

Comment

Cetelco, I've now had a response from two councillors telling me to visit the CAB as they have no knowledge, I contacted 3 alltogether and i'm waiting to hear back from the other one but I guess she will come back with the same advice, I feel completely lost as I've never had to deal with creditors before and I didn't sleep a wink last night I feel awful.
            Amy, would it be possible to get a helping hand with a letter to send to both the council and equita as I have no idea where to start? Thanks
            Last edited by dabraham; 2nd May 2009, 15:25:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

You don't need the CAB you have us.

Just remember that the bailiffs have no power to do anything to you unless you allow him access to your property, which you won't do.

I know it's hard, but do try not to worry.

Comment

I have issued a complaint with the council via the website, they sent me a confirmation back via e-mail with all of the information I have inputted so I will save this. I would much rather jsut deal with the council as all the Bailiffs are interested in is money to be paid. I will send a letter to both equita and the council, first of all informing them of my address as they are holding my mums and i'd rather that she didn't have to deal with anyone knocking at her door, what kind of thing should I put in my letter? I find it crazy that after all this time has passed i'm being hounded for money for a debt that I don't owe, I feel like i'm being treated like a criminal.

Comment

While I appreciate that you don't want your Mother to have to deal with this, you need to be careful about giving the bailiff your own address - if they sniff a payout they will try all sorts to get you to pay.

If I were you I'd keep the letter to Equita to plain and simple facts only i.e. you were not living at the address during the times they say you were. If you want to draft something I'll happily take a look at it for you.

Comment

Just a quick update, one of the three councillors I sent an e-mail to yesterday have been to my home and are willing to help me by contacting both the council and equita on my behalf, I feel like a weight has been lifted, thanks Amy for all of your support so far x

Comment

Just to let you all know, i've just had a letter from my councillor to say that the amounts owed have been written off! All it took was a telephone call from him and its all been sorted out.

Comment

Well done, nice work.

xx

Comment

Congratulations dabraham.
                          Enaid x

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X