• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Urgent!! Need info re Merton council Bailiff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent!! Need info re Merton council Bailiff

I have been issued a Notice of Seizure of goods and Inventory and a Form of Walking Possesion From a Merton Bailiff Services (I know I shouldn't have signed it but he turned up really early and was very loud and I was half asleep and didn't want the nieghbours to hear everything !!)

The fees they are trying to Charge me are
    Statutory Levy Fee £30.00
    Walking Possesion Fee £12.00
    ENFORCEMENT COSTS £100.00

Can someone please tell me if these are correct and if not what they should be ASAP as They are about to close down for Christmas
    (Wish I worked there and got such long hols!)

The Notice of Seizure and inventory says I "can pay either the bailiff or direct to Merton Bailiff Services at the Address above" Although there is no info reguarding them on any of the paperwork except their name is this legal? shouldn't there be something IE: address and phone Number

Also how do I find out if this man is indeed a Certified Bailiff as he hasn't put his certification no on anything and the 02072100516 no wont connect

Please if anyone can answer I really need this info urgently as otherwise I am going to lose my car which I need as I'm disabled

Many Thanks in advance
    Shooter
    Education is a fine thing Just so long as you can afford to live whist studying!!

Re: Urgent!! Need info re Merton council Bailiff

Hi Shooter,

I'm not that 'up' on bailiffs personally, but I will try to guide someone over here to help sometime today hun.

Can I ask what the debt is for ? how much ? and any other info you may have.

Comment

Hi Sapphire
      Its for Council Tax and its for £248.50 + fees as above Totaling £390.50
      Education is a fine thing Just so long as you can afford to live whist studying!!

Comment

Shooter, to find out if the bailiff is certificated you need to telephone the Ministry of Justice on 020 3334 3555 and give the bailiff's details.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy View Post
          Shooter, to find out if the bailiff is certificated you need to telephone the Ministry of Justice on 020 3334 3555 and give the bailiff's details.
          Hi Amy Just called the Ministry of Justice who were extremely helpful

YES the bailiff is Certified Although only been for a couple of Months

The man I spoke to is calling me back in 30 mins or so to tell me if the fees He is trying to charge me are correct as he said they don't sound right

Thank you
          Shooter
          I will update after he's called

Comment

Ok here goes

The man From the Ministry of justice has just called and he said

1) That they can only charge £24.50 for the 1st visit

2) that they should have given me a wriiten scale of charges which they didn't

3) that i have ground for a complaint against both the Bailiff himself AND Merton Bailiff services as things weren't done properly, Which he will help me with when I have sorted out the Charges

4) that the council shouldn't have passed me to the bailiffs office when I asked for breakdown of the charges

5) that I should now called the council back and ask to speak to a senior manager and try to get the charges sorted out

6) He's emailing me full charging details so that I have it to hand when I call the council

So what can I say but wasn't he good
            AND

THANKYOU AMY FOR THE PHONE NUMBER

I can give anyone who needs to know his name but only by pm

I will update when I have spoken to the council

shooter

Comment

Good luck! I hope you get some joy from the council

Comment

Excellent Shooter, well done.

Except I wouldn't telephone the council - keep it all in writing just in case.

Comment

Hi All
                  I've spoken to the council tax dept (Really helpful lady, Must be early christmas spirit or something to get 2 helpful people in goverment offices in one day) and having been given a breakdown it seems that the Baliff is charging me £24.50 for a letter that he should have hand delivered.

HE NEVER DID OR I WOULDN'T BE ON HERE TODAY AS I WOULD HAVE DEALT WITH IT THEN!!

So by my reconing I owe as follows:

£248.50 - £24.50 1st letter fee = £224.00

£30.00 Statutory Levy fee

(Worked it out as £30.44

"the relevant amount" with respect to a levy means;-
                  (a) where the sum due at the time of the levy does not exceed £100, £24.50;
                  (b) where the sum due at the time of the levy exceeds £100, 24.5% on the first £100 of the sum due,

4% on the next £400,
                  WOW he's given me a 44p discount)

Walking Possesion Fee £12.00

Total = £266.00 a big difference from £390.50

What does anyone think to me Paying that by the councils Automated System (can't be refused that way) and then phoning/Writting/Emailing both council tax dept and bailiffs to say that that is what I have paid and is all I am going to pay unless some one can prove the rest.

If you think this is ok does anyone have any suggestions to the wording of any such phone call/letter/email

Shooter X

Comment

If you can pay the full amount, I'd pay it. I also wouldn't be informal and use email for the complaint.

A letter would be better to both the bailiff and the council and I'd also file this form at the court that issued his cetificate http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/c...form4_0606.pdf

Comment

[quote=Amy;93425]Excellent Shooter, well done.

Except I wouldn't telephone the council - keep it all in writing just in case.[/quote]

Sorry didn't see this I did call them Mainly because I don't want to lose my car and secondly I wanted info on date etc of court hearings and what date it went to the bailiffs

Another Question Springs To Mind

Don't bailiffs only have 90 days from date of assignment to initiate contact with someone?
                      If they were assigned my account on 22nd August shouldn't they have contacted me by 20th November?

Shooter
                      ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                      Originally posted by Amy View Post
                      If you can pay the full amount, I'd pay it. I also wouldn't be informal and use email for the complaint.

A letter would be better to both the bailiff and the council and I'd also file this form at the court that issued his cetificate http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/c...form4_0606.pdf

If I paid £390.50 (what they are asking for) and not £266.00 I actually owe , How would I get back the £124.50 that they have over charged me
                      Last edited by shooter; 4th December 2008, 13:02:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I've not heard of them only having 90 days from assignment, I have to admit.

Sorry I've confused you with the amounts haven't I.

I meant pay the full amount, as in the amount you have worked out that you owe, not that they say you owe.

Let them argue the toss about the rest of it, if they want to.

Comment

I've just had a call from the councils complaint office stating that if I pay just the £266 then The bailiffs will talke their charges 1st and I will still owe money for Council Tax
                          Can they do that?

Comment

Sorry if I seem to be thick but anyone got any sugestions concidering what I've been tol das to what will happen if I only pay what I think is the correct amount?

Comment

When our council tax was referred to bailiffs, I spoke to the head of the department, he set up a payment plan and called off the bailiffs, removing all their charges.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X