• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I do not owe the debt. Continued harassment.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I do not owe the debt. Continued harassment.

Hi. I will try to make this as brief as possible.

I am a second year university student currently being pursed by Newlyn plc. Before this debt company, there was Marston holdings. These company's have been harassing me in order for me to pay for fines, for parking tickets, that I do not owe. The amount being for £1069.
    Me and my father have the same name, it is my father who who's the debt and I been in contact with my father but he is not able to pay the fine. I also do not own a car. I am sorry to trouble anyone, but at this point I have run out of options. I am looking to get some advice on what to do and will be posting this on a few forums so that I can get a good range of advice on what to do next.

As soon as I had received a letter from Marston holdings, stating that they are pursing a debt under my name. I contacted the company. It was only once that I proceeded to call the debt company for the first time, confirming my address and my name over the phone with them, in order to attempt to resolve the issue, that the company illegally took and saved my phone number without my permission, which the company proceeded to use to harass me. Once they knew that they had my address, they heightened efforts and proceeded to send Bailiffs at my door. From then on I proceeded to call the company many, many, many times and email them in order to resolve the issue, I made it very clear that the debt was mine. I was met with with no co-operation from their side.

The company expressly did not want anything from me but to pay. The company did not state that if I paid that the debt would be put onto my credit file. The company did not want to talk to me about my case, the reason that they stated being that I was not the one who owed the debt, therefore they could not talk to me about the case. At the same time, I was receiving harassing texts and calls, and I had debt collectors at my door for the very same debt that I did not owe. In an attempt to resolve this issue, I spent hours with the citizens advice bureau. Once we were able to reach Marston holdings. A representative stated that I needed to contact TFL in order to prove that the debt was not mine. When we contacted TFL, TFL stated that I needed to go back to Marston holdings to resolve the issue. After a few hours of going back and forth, no party wanted to take responsibility or help me with the issue. After a very long while of back and forth, we were able to get a hold of TFL and they stated that the only way that they were able to let Marston holdings know that I was not the same person as my father, was to contact the DVLA with evidence that I am not my father along with evidence that I do not own a car. I have sent in passport information, via a letter,I have not received a response from the DVLA. It's been a month since I sent the letter.

When Marston holdings first contacted me, it was towards the start of my exam week.I had explained to them that I had been nearing a mental breakdown due to the the stress applied on me by the frequent texts, harassing calls and visit at my door by a ballif. I stated that I had huge trouble coping, leading to a lack of sleep, not eating and constant anxiety. The constant state of worrying left me in a position where I struggled with my mental health and suicidal thoughts during my exam period. This was not helped with the fact that I had already been struggling with existing mental issues. I could not leave the house and I was too anxious to even go and study in case they came to claim my goods. Constant messages were being sent (and still are) to my phone such as 'RETURN HOME. ENFORCEMENT AGENT attending your property to REMOVE GOODS''. I remember explaining the my situation and my mental state to a Marston Holdings representative, his reply being, 'no matter what, we always get our money'. I told the company that although I did not have money, I would let them take my belongings in order to remove the huge amount of stress put on me as I had no money to pay them. Although they had been sending me frequent removal of goods messages on my phone, the Marston holdings representative stated that only want money and that my goods are of no use to them.

Despite me expressing the situation to the company, many times, they continued to harass me. Two weeks ago I received a email from Marston holdings stating that they have dropped the case against me, I have found that a new company, this being the third. 'Newlyn' is now the company that has taken up the responsibility of harassing me for a debt that is not mine. I have been in contact with many solicitors but I cannot find a solicitor at all that will help me with my case on a no win no fee basis. I have attempted to approach my university for legal help. I currently live in university accommodation with four other students. The university has stated that they do not provide legal aid of any sort and that if the bailiff's wind up taking any furniture that they owe, I will have to pay for it.

I have been in contact with Newlyn and they have stated that in order for me to prove that I do not owe the debt, that I will have to contact the council as they have issued the fine and provide evidence that I am not my father. I contacted the council and they have stated that I have to work the issue out with the company itself and that they are not responsible in this situation for the debt and that they can't help me.

Although my main goal isn't to get money from these company's in terms of compensation. I now understand that the only language these company's understand is money, not words, letters, emails. Just money and how to get it, regardless of the effect it has on the other person. So if it would be possible to get compensation, if possible, then I would take the opportunity to receive compensation through a legal proceeding. However I have no funds to pursue a legal case against them. I am only one person.

I have been in constant circles at this point, it has been very detrimental to my mental health and my social life due to the embarrassment and harassment caused by the company. I did not receive a letter from any company stating that the issue would be going to court. But it has already been to court. It is now at the debt collection phase. I am now seriously considering changing my name as I see no other possible course of action that I can take in order to get them to stop harassing me. I would appreciate advice on what to do next.

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X