• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CapQuest threatening bailiff visits - to person not resident at my address

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CapQuest threatening bailiff visits - to person not resident at my address

Hallo, for some time I have been receiving letters at my address that have been addressed to someone else, from CapQuest Debt Recovery. As I am the son of the person to whom the letters have been addressed, let's call them 'X', I have been given permission to open these letters.

The gist of it is that CapQuest have apparently been tasked with recovering £736 in debt on behalf of Halifax plc, CapQuest have made several demands that X get in touch with them to discuss payment of this debt, otherwise CapQuest will embark on legal action against them.

Today I (or rather, X at my address) have received a 'LETTER BEFORE ACTION' informing me that CapQuest will soon be calling in the bailiffs who will attempt to seize property if the recipient of the letter (X) not willing to sign a payment plan for this debt that I do not owe and is not owed by anyone living at my address.

This letter of action advises me that X has until the 2nd of October to contact CapQuest to arrange payment of this debt before CapQuest seek an Order of the Court to recover this debt. I am sure that the legality of demanding the payment of debt from someone who does not owe that supposed debt is dubious, but I still believe should be seeking actual legal advice.

Thanks in advance,

Re: CapQuest threatening bailiff visits - to person not resident at my address

Without a County Court Judgement CapQuest CANNOT simply send Bailiffs round.

To be honest you shouldn't be opening these letters at all as they aren't addressed to you, but returning them as UNKNOWN.

Sorry about that, after rereading I'll revise what I've said.
    The fact about the bailliffs stands, but what is this debt for ?
    Card, loan bank account, etc ??
    Last edited by Curlyben; 29th September 2008, 18:01:PM.

Comment

Hi Panipal,

Was the person that they are after for the debt living at your address? They have obtained your address as the debtors abode by some means. So either they have checked the council tax register and found them registered there or your address was given as their address at some time. Check who is registered with your city council for that address. If the debtor isn't or wasn't when the debt was run up then you have nothing to worry about.

Best wishes,
      Hod..Liam..
      Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

Originally posted by Curlyben View Post
        Without a County Court Judgement CapQuest CANNOT simply send Bailiffs round.

To be honest you shouldn't be opening these letters at all as they aren't addressed to you, but returning them as UNKNOWN.

Sorry about that, after rereading I'll revise what I've said.
        The fact about the bailliffs stands, but what is this debt for ?
        Card, loan bank account, etc ??
        All that is said in those letters that refer to it is 'Halifax - Card account', the (Halifax) account number, and the amount outstanding (the debt has apparently been sold by Halifax to CapQuest).

Also to HappyOlddog - X has never been resident at my address, I'm not sure when the debt was supposed to have been run up as no reference to such dates is made in the letters

Comment

Wellll as
          X has never been resident at my address
          you are perfectly correct to return these Nastygrams with UNKNOWN on them.

CapQuest bluster and posture alot, as do all DCA's, but on the whole they are merely meaningless threats and nothing more.
          For this amount the WORST they could do would be a County Court claim and as it isn't that's pretty meaningless anyway.

Comment

This may be a stupid question - but if X has never lived at your address - has he or you ever told Capquest this? And is your initial and surname the same? if so, Capquest have probably got you on the electoral register and are just chancing their luck.

Does X have/ever had/owe money on/ a Halifax card cash account? What I mean is, is it actually his debt in the first place?
            Is no longer here

Comment

[Quote] Also to HappyOlddog - X has never been resident at my address, I'm not sure when the debt was supposed to have been run up as no reference to such dates is made in the letters [Quote Panipal2005]

If this is the case then send the letters back to capquest and enclose a polite 'cough' to them stating that this person is unknown to you and to your knowledge has never lived at your address.

Good Luck,
              Hod..Liam..
              Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X