• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

X(Adopted child access to court file) EWFC 33 (9th September 2014)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X(Adopted child access to court file) EWFC 33 (9th September 2014)

There was an article in the Law Gazzette that took my interest which was a case heard by the head of the Family Court Sir James Mumby in relation to access to the court file from and adoption in 1930. It's quite interesting as it relates to some of the law that is in place since 2002 Adoption and Children's act and the law in place prior to that time.

The article is at the following link: http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/law/lega...043964.article

The case law from Bailii is here: http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup...method=boolean
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)
    Tags: None

Re: X(Adopted child access to court file) EWFC 33 (9th September 2014)

section 79(4)’s ‘exceptional circumstances’, the court (among other things)noted the observation of Roderic Wood J in FL v Registrar General [2010] EWHC3520 (Fam) that ‘the descendant of an adopted person could not, for the purpose of an application under section 79(4), be treated more favourably than acomplete stranger in construing the expression “exceptional circumstances”’.

Do not agree; a descendant of the adoptee is also a descendant of the biological parents. If your very DNA is made up of these people then you do have more rights than a complete stranger.

The court has a discretion whether to disclose information contained inits own file to the applicant

A SENSIBLE APPROACH

In this particular case I do think enough time has elapsed and all the main characters have died but I would still urge caution. This next paragraph however will cause concern for thousands of women:

on 29September, the government announced that: ‘Children, grandchildren and other relatives of adopted adults can now trace back through their ancestors’ lives –helping them to unearth their family history, discover more about their medical background and
    reach out to long-lost relatives under new rules’, due to be effective by next month.

Discretion,discretion, discretion!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It is essential that they ensure the biological parents are either deceased or informed before they pass on this information. They have earned that right –I sure as hell know I have.

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
    ~ Anonymous

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X