• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

How to complete an N180 Directions questionnaire (Small Claims Track) Form?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to complete an N180 Directions questionnaire (Small Claims Track) Form?

This guide is designed for claims in the County Court where there is a specified amount of money less than £10,000 on the original claim form being claimed. The claim may have been issued via the County Court Business Centre Northampton, County Court Money Claims Centre Salford or a Local County Court.

As case management progresses the court will need to find out certain information to allow the process to continue, the N180 Directions questionnaire (Small Claims Track) is a part of that process. Along with the form you will have received an order from the court detailing the date you are required to return it by, it's important you keep to this deadline to prevent sanctions against you.

You may hand write the form or the online version of the N180 is here if you want to type then print it: https://assets.publishing.service.go...6/n180-eng.pdf

There are some pics below and you should complete the form as follows:

A1 tick yes for mediation, you need to appear to be trying to be reasonable and it is also incumbent upon you to try to settle the claim without need of a hearing. Any agreement via mediation is binding, but not classed as a CCJ.

Mediation takes place by telephone and you won't be in a conference call with them or their solicitor. It's a one hour appointment where the mediator will ring you to get your views and then ring them for theirs. It will go back and forth throughout the hour to try to settle it.

B is self explanatory, just your contact details.

C1 tick yes, you don't want to be in the other tracks with their costs implications. Costs in the Small Claims Track are limited if you lose as long as their is no unreasonable conduct and therefore staying within it protects you should you be unsuccessful.

D1 you should decide whether you would prefer the case to be heard without a hearing. There are both pros and cons to this:

Pros - you will not have to go to court and argue the case, saving you time and possibly money.

Cons - in a hearing a judge can ask you and the other party questions which ensures they fully understand the nuances of your argument.

There is no requirement to give an explanation for your decision in the Civil Procedure Rules, so if you feel your reason might give the other side advanced information of something you wish to bring up at a hearing when choosing the 'No' option you may leave it blank.

If the court further requests information once filed you should point them to CPR 27.10 claims allocated to the small claims track me be heard without a hearing if all parties agree, but there's nothing in the CPR that requires you to explain your reason.

E1 you should put the name and address of your local court ( https://courttribunalfinder.service....s&spoe=nearest ) and one of the following reasons:
    Claimant: "Claimants Preferred Court pursuant to CPR 26.2A(4)."

Defendant is an individual: "Defendants Home Court pursuant to CPR 26.2A(3)."
    Defendant is a company: "Defendants Preferred Court pursuant to CPR 26.2A(4)."

E2 complete appropriately dependant on whether you intend to bring expert witnesses.

E3 put 1 if just you intend attending a hearing on the day. If you have witnesses or are being accompanied by someone then state the number of them, but always remember to add yourself in the figure placed in the box.

E4 is self explanatory, dates of Holidays, special events or business trips you might have to take. Also whether you need an interpreter and if you do for which language.

E5 is self explanatory an if 'Yes' should be explained.

Make a copy, send the original to the court and serve the copy to the Claimant or their solicitor at the address for service on the original claim form as the order with it will direct "and serve copies on all other parties."
    Last edited by jaguarsuk; 7th August 2018, 15:29:PM.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

This attachment is an example of a completed N180 Form
    Attached Files

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

jjjj

Comment

Hi where it says in the and you have put court name, I'm confused as what to write as I don't have a court name. I started my claim online.

Comment

Originally posted by All View Post
          Hi where it says in the and you have put court name, I'm confused as what to write as I don't have a court name. I started my claim online.
          County Court Business Centre Northampton or County Court Money Claims Centre - it'll be at the top of the order with the N180 Form.

Comment

How do I find out my claim number? Is it the 8 digit number (3 numbers, followed by 2 letters, followed by 3 numbers) from my original money claim or is it short number on the email sending me the questionnaire (C followed by 3 numbers)?

Comment

Also I've read elsewhere that you should always tick for mediation, but I have already refused mediation, as the money I'm claiming back is for a non-profit group so there is no room for compromise. Is this different mediation, or the same as I have already refused?

Comment

Originally posted by meday View Post
                How do I find out my claim number? Is it the 8 digit number (3 numbers, followed by 2 letters, followed by 3 numbers) from my original money claim or is it short number on the email sending me the questionnaire (C followed by 3 numbers)?
                You should not receive the N180 by email, unless HMCTS are finally catching up with the rest of the world all of a sudden. The claim number will usually be located at the top of the order accompanying the N180 form in the right hand corner when posted to you.

Whom is the email from?

EDIT ADDED IN 2022: Due to the covid-19 pandemic HMCTS have made huge leaps forward in the use of technology and you may now receive documents by email that would not have previously been served that way.

Originally posted by meday View Post
                Also I've read elsewhere that you should always tick for mediation, but I have already refused mediation, as the money I'm claiming back is for a non-profit group so there is no room for compromise. Is this different mediation, or the same as I have already refused?
                You should approach mediation with flexibility to compromise, if you cannot do that then mediation is not fit for you and should be declined. It is incumbent upon you to attempt to settle the claim without need of a hearing, so refusing to mediate can be seen as going against this principle.

Comment

Hello

I am in the process of completing my first N180 on behalf of the company that I work for. In the very first left hand box, do I enter the company name that I am claiming on behalf of, instead of my name? Does this also apply to box B1. Thank you in advance for your responses

Comment

To be completed on behalf of................................who is the 1st 2nd 3rd Claimant Defendant etc.

In the box you put the company that is being sued or suing depending on who is claimant and who is defendant.

In B1 you put your name and company address details etc
                    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Brilliant thank you.

Comment

Hi, thanks for your guidance re N180. Please explain me how to fill point C1 and D1 question. C1 related to TRACK. D1. related to Suitability for determination without hearing , Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mrk1963 View Post
                          Hi, thanks for your guidance re N180. Please explain me how to fill point C1 and D1 question. C1 related to TRACK. D1. related to Suitability for determination without hearing , Thanks
                          If you disagree with the track allocation then you would tick 'No' and then use the box to explain why the claim should fall into the 'Multi' or 'Fast' Track. You should be aware that the small claims track offers costs protections that are not in place in the other tracks and take this into consideration.

In terms of D1 you cannot ask for determination without a hearing via the N180 and should complete the form as directed in the guide as this will take it to the appropriate court location away from CCBC or CCMC which are essentially mass processing centres.

If you wish for determination without a hearing, once allocated to a court you ought to use Form N244 to make the appropriate application for Summary Judgement pursuant to CPR 24.2 and pay the applicable fee. In your application you should state that if successful you are seeking costs of the application from the other party.

Comment

This guide was updated today to reflect the new N180 Form 'N180 Directions questionnaire (small claims track) (06.22) '

Comment

Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post
                              This guide was updated today to reflect the new N180 Form 'N180 Directions questionnaire (small claims track) (06.22) '
                              Hi JaguarsUK

Is there a transition period allowed, or is the new N180 an absolute requirement from now going forward?

I ask because someone I know has been sent the old-style one from the court (CCBC).
                              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                              gets his brain a-going.
                              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Member Guides

This section contains useful guides, template examples and information written by members of the forum. Always do your own research !
                              See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X