• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Small claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small claim

hi all, I have been issued a court form and have filed a defence, my defence is solid but it is taking up so much of my time that to be hounest id rather just have done with it, the amount claimed isn’t a great deal so am I able to settle this before it goes any further and if so how should it be done?
    Tags: None

Originally posted by Jimdon View Post
    hi all, I have been issued a court form and have filed a defence, my defence is solid but it is taking up so much of my time that to be hounest id rather just have done with it, the amount claimed isn’t a great deal so am I able to settle this before it goes any further and if so how should it be done?
    You would need to contact the Claimant and negotiate a settlement. Any offer should be headed "Without Prejudice" though and you want them to confirm that it is "Full and Final Settlement of Claim Number XXXXXXXX."

Is it an individual, company or debt purchaser? If you belieive you have a solid defence it just seems a little strange wanting to settle.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

It is a parking company, the reason I’m considering settling is that the claim is for less than a days wages for me, it’s taking up a hell of a lot of my time and is causing me stress, if they should accept a settlement offer, or even if I paid in full, what would happen in regards to the court proceedings? as a defence has already been filed. Thanks

Comment

It is a parking company, the reason I’m considering settling is that the claim is for less than a days wages for me, it’s taking up a hell of a lot of my time and is causing me stress, if they should accept a settlement offer, or even if I paid in full, what would happen in regards to the court proceedings? as a defence has already been filed. Thanks
        They should file a notice of discontinuance with the court and then the court will send you an order confirming the proceedings have been discontinued.

If you make them an offer tell them that you'd like to consider settling as it's time consuming and court will mean taking a day off work, then offer them 50% in Full and Final Settlement.

As I said though, head the offer "Without Prejudice" as they are under no obligation to accept it and his protects your position legally. They will probably counter with a higher amount, but potentially less than the full claim.

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Thanks, if they accepted my offer, or I paid in full, would I get a ccj on my credit file?

Comment

Thanks, if they accepted my offer, or I paid in full, would I get a ccj on my credit file?
            No m8 .

Comment

If the offer is accepted should I pay before they discontinue or wait until they have discontinued or confirm that they will discontinue? Sorry this is all very new to me

Comment

If the offer is accepted should I pay before they discontinue or wait until they have discontinued or confirm that they will discontinue? Sorry this is all very new to me
                You need to get in writing the amount agreed, that it is "Full and Final Settlement of Claim No: XXXXXXX" and that they confirm they will discontinue.

If for any reason they don't (admin errors happen) you have the evidence to show the claim settled.

If you agree to settle in the way you will not have a CCJ.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X