• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Small Claim by Southern Water & Counterclaim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Claim by Southern Water & Counterclaim

Hi All,
    I received a court claims of £3,090.28 from Southern Waters few days back regarding an outstanding bills from July 2013 - Oct 2015. (I am no longer at the address from Oct 2015 due to separation with ex but served the notice at my new address).

We moved to the brand new property in 2004 and have been receiving regular bills. We were a family of 2 adults and 3 children in the house.
    Along the lines, we have some outstanding water bills which we set up an installment payments of £100 monthly. We have been paying this regularly and discover that our bills always go up very high when the new bill arrive and the circle of installment payments continued. We didn't make much of this then as we thought the bill were normal to our usage (one bill for example was £748.87 for a quarter and another was £673.14 for 6 months).

Around 2013/14, we raised a complaint with Southern water (by phone) as to the amount of the high bills that we receive regularly. The agent agreed to suspend the account while she sent down an engineer down to inspect. When the engineer came, he discovered that there was a leak somewhere from the central supply to our property as the central meter outside kept reading even after we have close all taps and valves in our property. He promised to pass the message to the control and will arrange for major repairs from the main valve to our property. This repair never happen until I split with my partner in 2015.

From the latest 'breakdown of Account' sent along with the Small Claims, I noticed that Southern Water had cancelled and recalculated some of the bills from 06/2014 - 01/2015 (from £2891.88 to 516.70), after admitting to the leaks, and added this to the earlier outstanding amount but the amounts in the earlier months from 2013 backwards were untouched.

I would like to write a defense based on the above statement and below points:
    1. that I don't think that I am owing them any monies because the earlier bills have been overcharged for many years, resulting in the outstanding bills.
    2. That the amount recalculated was for only 2014 and not the whole period of 2013 - 2015 that they were claiming for.
    3. I would also like to raise a counterclaim for the years that I suspect that they have probably be overcharging us (probably since we moved in to the brand new property).
    I am not sure if the above points could stand at the court. I would appreciate any advise and contributions.

Tags: None

Originally posted by olootu6831 View Post
    Hi All,
    I received a court claims of £3,090.28 from Southern Waters few days back regarding an outstanding bills from July 2013 - Oct 2015. (I am no longer at the address from Oct 2015 due to separation with ex but served the notice at my new address).

We moved to the brand new property in 2004 and have been receiving regular bills. We were a family of 2 adults and 3 children in the house.
    Along the lines, we have some outstanding water bills which we set up an installment payments of £100 monthly. We have been paying this regularly and discover that our bills always go up very high when the new bill arrive and the circle of installment payments continued. We didn't make much of this then as we thought the bill were normal to our usage (one bill for example was £748.87 for a quarter and another was £673.14 for 6 months).

Around 2013/14, we raised a complaint with Southern water (by phone) as to the amount of the high bills that we receive regularly. The agent agreed to suspend the account while she sent down an engineer down to inspect. When the engineer came, he discovered that there was a leak somewhere from the central supply to our property as the central meter outside kept reading even after we have close all taps and valves in our property. He promised to pass the message to the control and will arrange for major repairs from the main valve to our property. This repair never happen until I split with my partner in 2015.

From the latest 'breakdown of Account' sent along with the Small Claims, I noticed that Southern Water had cancelled and recalculated some of the bills from 06/2014 - 01/2015 (from £2891.88 to 516.70), after admitting to the leaks, and added this to the earlier outstanding amount but the amounts in the earlier months from 2013 backwards were untouched.

I would like to write a defense based on the above statement and below points:
    1. that I don't think that I am owing them any monies because the earlier bills have been overcharged for many years, resulting in the outstanding bills.
    2. That the amount recalculated was for only 2014 and not the whole period of 2013 - 2015 that they were claiming for.
    3. I would also like to raise a counterclaim for the years that I suspect that they have probably be overcharging us (probably since we moved in to the brand new property).
    I am not sure if the above points could stand at the court. I would appreciate any advise and contributions.
    Strongly suggest you talk to the Consumer Council for Water. It may be too late but worth a try. They are very good and free.

https://www.ccwater.org.uk/make-a-complaint/

QCK

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X