• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

assaulted by bus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• assaulted by bus

Hi all,

First off; I am so happy there is a forum like this! I'm hoping you could give me some advice on the following matter.

I was cycling on the road, when a busdriver overtook me closely and cut me off. I didn't think too much of it until I caught up with the bus at the red lights and the driver was giving me faces. This makes me think the close overtake and cutting was no accidental bad driving, but a deliberate attempt at intimidating me. The driver turns left at the red lights, I go straight on.

A few minutes later as I'm about to enter a roundabout on the left lane, intending to take the 5th exit, a bus approaches fast on the right hand lane. However, the bus has to slow down and I enter the roundabout. Around the second exit of the roundabout I notice that the bus is very very close behind me. I'm scared and swerve left and pedal faster in an effort to get some distance from the bus.

I continue on the roundabout, still feeling quite scared and unsafe with such a massive vehicle so close. As I go past the third exit I get a massive whack from behind. The bus driver drove into me in an apparent attempt to take the third exit.

I miraculously manage to stay on my bicycle and come to a halt. I look back and see I was hit by a bus! People in traffic ask me if i'm fine, I'm dazed and shocked and tell them yes. As I look into the window of the bus I expect to see an equally shocked, apologetic bus driver. Instead I see the same driver who cut me off earlier giving me a cold blank stare.

Because of the drivers previous behaviour and lack of empathy, or any other emotion, I now realise that this is no accident and I call 999 to tell them I've just been assaulted by a bus driver.

After a minute or so the 999 people are still on the phone to me, and the bus driver pulls up in his bus, holding his cellphone. He very shortly asks "do you need an ambulance" to which I replied "no, just the police".

He parks his bus, and lets his passengers get off, busily talking to some of them. I assume in an attempt to sway their testimony. He then walks up to me with a notepad and says "right whats your name" Still no apologies, or asking if I'm OK,

Faced by the would be murderer I feel extremely uneasy and tell him that I will not give him my name as he intentionally hit me which in my opinion is attempted murder. He doesn't dispute this, instead says "O" and turns around, back to his bus.

When the police arrive I tell them what happened and show them the damages to my bicyle and the paint that has transferred from the bus onto my bike. They then talk to the driver and two witnesses (not sure if these were passengers or not) and come to inform me that these people don't think it was an attempt to kill me. They let the driver back on his bus, and that's that.

I've had a quote done for the damages to my bike and will send this to the buses insurer. The police told me they would review the buses cctv footage and get back to me, which they still haven't done.

I would like some advice on how to take this forward, I don't feel safe on the roads anymore but refuse to stop cycling as I will not give in to terror and also because I can't afford to commute another way. I feel like there is no place on the roads for this sort of behaviour, and fear people will end up getting killed as long as this maniac is allowed on the roads.

Help please!
    Tags: None

Re: assaulted by bus

Further, I am considering leaving the country in favour of a more cycle friendly one due to this incident. But still, if this driver end up killing someone I want to have a clear conscience knowing that I did what I could to keep our roads safe from him.

Comment

It would seem that the problem you face is that the bus driver has two witnesses who it would seem apparently contradicted your statement. As for him not admitting liability I am afraid that will have been his training - we are always taught not to admit any liability- not even to say sorry as this could be taken as a sign of liability.

I hope you have recovered from what must have been a terrifying incident . It is indeed a miracle that a bus hitting you hard enough to take paint off your bike did not knock you off

Another problem, and I mean this with the best intentions- your story appear to show you are not following the highway code or the rules of the road. If you were planning t take the 5th exit you should have been in the right hand lane and not the left

A final point, and i am sure it is possible- are you absolutely sure it is the same driver , I only ask because if the driver turned left and a few minutes later approached you from the right , at some point the bus would have had to cross your path again earlier and then turn back on itself.

I hope this doesn't make you leave this country and to be quite frank, from what I have seen of driving in other countries, you will be no safer there unless you are in cities that have limited traffic and many bicycles such as Amsterdam.

You haven't said where in the UK you are, which city or town

Comment

Hi Warwick, thanks for the answer.

I don't know what the witnesses stated, I didn't join the conversation as you are right, it was terrifying and I was shocked. Still am. I got hit in my back wheel, If I had cycled just a bit slower it would not have been my bicycle but me getting rammed and it sickens to me to think of what may have happened then.

This all happened near Glasgow. After the bus went left, it must have later taken a right turn somewhere, I went straight, then left, then right. This is how we ended up on the same road. The bus didn't approach me from the right, but came up fast from behind as I was in the left hand lane approaching the roundabout. The bus was in the right hand one.

I always stay in the left lane on roundabouts, if I go into the inner one I feel I'd slow traffic down and impatient drivers would undoubtedly start overtaking me on the outside leaving me stuck in the inner lane going in circles. This is in agreement with the highway code. Cyclists are allowed to do this, but they have to indicate right for every exit they don't intend to take. This I didn't do as I was simply too scared to take my hands off the handlebars. If this means I deserve some punishment I'll accept that. Although I'm glad I didn't take my hand off the bars or otherwise I would surely have crashed when the bus hit me.

I am totally sure it's the same driver. It's a face I'll not soon forget! I understand if your training makes you wary of apologising, but are you not even allowed to ask if someone is OK or express any concern? The drivers behaviour on the whole was a campaign of terror against the most vulnerable party in traffic. Using your 10ton (?) bus to terrorise a cyclist is bullying and will end up costing lives. Some of my friends cycle, as does my girlfriend. If this maniac kills one of them I don't know how I'd live with the guilt if I'd let this slide.

I appreciate your sympathies, and yes the Netherlands is the country I'm considering moving to... I've been reading cycling forums a bit and being bullied/harassed by motorists seems to be the norm in GB. Not a country I'd want to raise kids in. But again, I think I'm still shocked and don't want to rush that decision. Thanks again for the quick reply!

Comment

Have you considered sending a SAR for a copy of the CCTV footage?
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Check to see if the Police have the CCTV footage? that's a start before any further action

Comment

Most buses are fitted with CCTV these days, providing you have the Reg No or Fleet No the bus company should b4e able to look this up.

Comment

Thanks, I got a call from the police today and I will be requesting a copy of the CCTV from the bus company or if that doesn't work from the police.

Apparently I was quite far too the right when I noticed the bus so close behind me. I believe I was still well in the outer lane, but the police reviewed the footage and say I was in the inner lane. They then say that my swerving was going back into the outer lane and that means I should take the exit, and have warned me for dangerous cycling!! This makes no sense to me as the swerving occurred around the second exit not the third where I was hit. Anyway, I'll update once I get the footage, thanks again!

Comment

Hi

I hope you get it sorted

Please don't cut off you nose to spite your face as the saying goes and move to continental europe just because of one bad bus driver - the UK ain't that bad and who knows, may get a whole lot better on Thursday

Comment

Hi All,

By now I've filed a SAR to the bus company, but they refuse to give me the footage. What should I do now?
                    Request it from the police? What is the procedure for this? Many thanks in advance!

Comment

Also I just got an e-mail from the insurance company that states that the bus company blames me for causing the collision, and the insurance company has asked for my version of events. Should I answer this?

Comment

Originally posted by JustAnotherCyclist View Post
                        Hi All,

By now I've filed a SAR to the bus company, but they refuse to give me the footage. What should I do now?
                        Request it from the police? What is the procedure for this? Many thanks in advance!
                        What have the bus company said exactly ?
                        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I wrote:
                          I contacted you the .... and requested all CCTV footage you have of me being terrorised by one of your drivers.
                          In case it was not clear this was a subject access request. Under section 7 of the data protection act 1998 you are obliged to provide me with this. Doing so does not prejudice crime and taxation purposes and therefore should not be withheld. Please send me the footage within 40 days. If you intend not to, please motivate and reply within 21 days.

They replied:
                          Many thanks for your response,

As explained in my previous email the Duty Manager at ..... has fully investigated this incident and the CCTV is now with the police so we are unable to comment any further. All the relevant information has now been passed over to our insurance company. If you wish to take this matter further then I would advise to contact your third party so they can deal with this on your behalf.

If you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me direct.

Comment

Does anyone know how I can get a hold of the footage now?

Comment

Sounds like the Police have it.

https://www.gov.uk/request-cctv-footage-of-yourself

They can refuse your request if sharing the footage will put a criminal investigation at risk.
                              CCTV footage of a crime

If the CCTV footage relates to a crime and the police have the footage, they will tell you if you can see it.
                              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X