• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Best Course of Action - Lorry Crashed into my Car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Course of Action - Lorry Crashed into my Car

Hi All, I am new and seeking advice

In October I was involved in a 'no fault' crash with a commercial vehicle (lorry). I reported it to my insurers, as per their terms, but the lorry company, who admit full liability,are dealing with the matter privately to settle the compensation claim to put right the damage to my car pre-accident condition. It was their choice to do it that way and I also felt that it would be better for me too because my own insurance would remain unaffected if I did not use them to mediate compensation even if I was not making a claim.

I am leasing my vehicle on PCP and the terms stipulate clearly that I should ideally get the car repaired at the Dealership's own garage, to ensure warranty approved parts. So I decided to hire Masters to do the work and they assessed the vehicle damage and charged me a £30 Assessment Schedule listing out what needed to be worked on and replaced to make good the vehicle. The lorry's own company also decided to hire a claims assessor to carry out its own inspection of my vehicle too, even though they were not using their own insurance company. I felt affronted by this. It seemed to me that they did not trust my garage to assess the car fairly, even though the garage told me that they had a legal obligation to ensure they did not list anything non-accident related to arrive at an Estimated Cost of Repair.

The claims handlers for the lorry company got back to me and accused me of negotiating with my garage to include in the Estimated Cost non-accident work I wanted done and they would seek to reduce the Estimate. I did not read the estimate nor did I have it in front of me, but I knew this was wrong. I objected strongly to this accusation and when I confronted the garage about it too they told me that the claims handler had negotiated with them behind my back to actually reduce the schedule costings to take off a few items. They ran off a different Estimate of what was now included, and I compared the two of them - they are exactly the same, just some minor adjustments in parts costs and labour costs to save the lorry company £600 pound. Something the garage was not keen on at all. Therefore, both my garage and the lorry co claims handler colluding together seemed willing to assume that I had a hand in asking for non-essential works - becuase one party wanted to reduce costs, the other was affronted that costs were reduced and so were profits. I decided to complain about the protocols carried out because I felt that the claims handler for the lorry company were taking over my garage and making them their client for the repairs not me. The garage seem to agree with that assessment too because I am not paying them directly for the repairs, the lorry company claims handlers are.

I have since complained to the lorry company's own solicitors (acting for the claims handlers too) about these behind the scenes negotiations I was not party to and said it was poor protocol. I was the garage's client, whether I was paying them or not directly. And now that I mistrusted both parties - my garage and the claims handlers - I also told them that I would not accept a repair job in full and final settlement of the claim after the car was returned to me in case problems arose in future - currently unforeseen. So I also mentioned to them that I wanted an independent assessment of the car to be carried out after the car was returned back to me in case the garage tried to cut corners and costs to recoup some of the behind the scenes re-negotiated savings the claims handler had insisted upon to pay the garage - something the garage was obviously not happy with. As an non-expert, I have no way of knowing if the car was repaired properly and come the end of my agreement at PX time, decision to buy, or hand back the car they may value the car lower if the Works Schedule was not adhered to, or the work carried out to a shoddy standard unbenkown to me at the time I got back the car after repairs.

I have told the claims handler / solicitors of the lorry company that I expect the independent assessor to form part of the compensation package, along with the garage repairs to my car and possibly a claim to my own insurance premium rising too, to match any hike over the next 5 years if exclusively to do with reporting this accident. All insurance companies ask if you've had an accident in the past 5 years. The solicitors have flatly refused the premium hike and the post-repairs independent assessment and will only pay for the car repairs.

I don't know what to do now. I have no power on how the work is going to be carried out. My choice of garage has been hijacked by the claims handler for the lorry driver (because they are paying them directly) and I feel at the mercy of all these parties and any attempts I make to cover my own back, and the finance company's too for my PCP deal to maximise the value of my vehicle when my Payment Agreement ends, is being thwarted and undermined.

Where do I stand please? Can I insist that an independent assessment is carried out - at their expense as part of compensation - just after I get back my repaired car to ensure the Works Schedule was adhered to and the work carried out to the right standard to bring the car back to pre-accident condition otherwise I won't sign off any 'full and final settlement' letter. I don't want to cut off any chances of getting more compensation, should I need it if the car was repaired inadequately. Nor do I want to toss away any own insurance premium hike for 5 years (their solicitors have just said that my premium won't rise, but I had read stories of no fault accident hikes quite often).

I feel as though I am being messed around, patronised as a woman, and being potentially treated as a non-entity in these negotiations from all parties, including the garage of my choice. I could go through my own insurers instead, to handle this with their insurers, but a no fault claim through my insurance will more than likely hike my premiums, whereas a straightforward report only might not, and won't necessarily give me any greater power of how things are done and settled.

Is there any advice you can give me on what I can insist upon or not with the lorry driver's company claims handlers/solicitors? I feel these parties are purely acting in their own interests and I have to put up with whatever they decide whether I use my garage or not - now re-cast as the claims handlers / paymasters garage, as far as I am concerned.

Thanks
    Last edited by BG0612; 9th January 2017, 18:52:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Best Course of Action - Lorry Crashed into my Car

A sorry tale, but you now know why I always advise people involved in an accident (even no fault) to claim on their own insurance.
    Settlement of claims is far from simple.

I would now suggest a letter to the third party that you are going to have the vehicle repaired at a main dealers, and you will be sending them the account, and a claim for any other losses incurred.
    Failure to meet the cost and you will initiate a county court claim.
    It is your car, you can have it repaired where you want but I would recommend a main or franchised dealer to ensure(?) a proper job!

A single no fault claim will very rarely increase your premiums, but if it does and you are unhappy with your renewal premium you seek alternative cover.
    There are too many different influences on premiums for you to claim against the third party for increases in years to come.

Comment

Under pretty much any car policies, you are contractually obliged to inform your insurer of any accident, fault or non-fault, and even if you don't intend to register a claim.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcadian View Post
        Under pretty much any car policies, you are contractually obliged to inform your insurer of any accident, fault or non-fault, and even if you don't intend to register a claim.
        irrelevant

Comment

Originally posted by BG0612 View Post
          irrelevant
          It certainly is irrelevant when I now see that you'd stated that in the original post, but I read it twice and didn't see it. I do have a low grade fever so I'll have to partially blame it on that and offer you my apologies.
          :duh:

Best of luck, as already stated by others you've gone the wrong way about this. When similar happened to me back in November and I have no regrets about going through my own insurer, it's worked out well enough for me so far, and I've had some control over the process, something which you will not have unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcadian View Post
            , and I've had some control over the process, something which you will not have unfortunately.
            When a third party is at fault (and in this case liability has been admitted)the injured party has complete control unless they surrender it to the third party.
            They do have to deal with it in a reasonable manner, and minimise their loss, but this does not mean they have to opt for the cheapest quote or follow the instructions of the third party.
            e.g. If the vehicle has a 30 year non perforation warranty, this could be compromised by not having the repair work carried out by the manufacturers dealer

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
              When a third party is at fault (and in this case liability has been admitted)the injured party has complete control unless they surrender it to the third party.
              They do have to deal with it in a reasonable manner, and minimise their loss, but this does not mean they have to opt for the cheapest quote or follow the instructions of the third party.
              e.g. If the vehicle has a 30 year non perforation warranty, this could be compromised by not having the repair work carried out by the manufacturers dealer
              They don't seem to have much control, from the description they've written of the third party and their own chosen garage royally messing them about. I didn't have any real issues other than the usual claims manager incompetence.

Comment

That's just it. I have lost control because the lorry company's claims handler has 'hijacked' my garage, negotiated a lower quote behind my back with them without even discussing it with me first, and made themselves their customer instead of now that the garage won't agree anything with me directly because they are billing the lorry company's claims handlers directly, not me). I am so annoyed with them. I did manage to get the lorry company;'s claims handler to accept that I would not be signing in 'full and final settlement' after picking up the car though - in case the garage do a crap job - but they won't agree to paying me for an independent assessment on the car once the work is done, to ensure that the work was carried out according to the Estimated works they listed for me, claiming that it would be an additional expense for their lorry company client because I had not agreed to go through a garage of their own choice (when in fact they have made my garage a garage of their choice - in all but name only).

The reason I went direct thru my PCP finance terms garage in the first place is because I did not want my own insurance premiums hiked as a result of making a no'fault' claim and if they dealt with the lorry company's insurers. This can happen, so I've read, and the lorry driver company's claims management company had not agreed any premium hikes at all and have simply told me that it is unlikely that I will experience any hikes (as if that makes it all OK). If I just reported the matter, as I needed to do according to my insurance terms rather than put in a no fault claim, it is far less likely that the accident will affect future claims owing to me being more of a risk (well, that's my theory anyway), plus they are not costing out for administrative inputs doing the negotiating etc.

I also don't understand why I would have more control if I used my insurer instead, as someone suggested. They would still carry out a claims handler assessment and use a garage of their choice, not mine (Coachworks). I fail to see the difference, except that they are meant to work on my behalf and in my best interests as my insurer. But in practice, insurers work on their own behalf and any administrative input from them will be costed into any premium hike for me in future. That's why I wanted to go direct. I felt it would give me more control. In practice the lorry company's claims handler has basically screwed up any good relationship I would have had with my garage had they not stuck their nose in and interfered.

Comment

Originally posted by BG0612 View Post
                  That's just it. I have lost control because the lorry company's claims handler has 'hijacked' my garage, negotiated a lower quote behind my back with them without even discussing it with me first, and made themselves their customer instead of now that the garage won't agree anything with me directly because they are billing the lorry company's claims handlers directly, not me)
                  You should have removed vehicle from that garage. They had no authority from you to negotiate with the third party. If they have not started work I would still contemplate removing it fom them as you have lost trust.I am so annoyed with them. I did manage to get the lorry company;'s claims handler to accept that I would not be signing in 'full and final settlement' after picking up the car though - in case the garage do a crap job - but they won't agree to paying me for an independent assessment on the car once the work is done, to ensure that the work was carried out according to the Estimated works they listed for me, claiming that it would be an additional expense for their lorry company client because I had not agreed to go through a garage of their own choiceThere is no way you have to use the third party choice of repairer (when in fact they have made my garage a garage of their choice - in all but name only).

The reason I went direct thru my PCP finance terms garage in the first place is because I did not want my own insurance premiums hiked as a result of making a no'fault' claim and if they dealt with the lorry company's insurers. This can happen, so I've read(don't believe everything you read), and the lorry driver company's claims management company had not agreed any premium hikes at all and have simply told me that it is unlikely that I will experience any hikes (correct)(as if that makes it all OK). If I just reported the matter, as I needed to do according to my insurance terms rather than put in a no fault claim, it is far less likely that the accident will affect future claims owing to me being more of a risk (well, that's my theory anyway), plus they are not costing out for administrative inputs doing the negotiating etc.(any costs they incurred would have been met by the third party insurers)

I also don't understand why I would have more control if I used my insurer instead, as someone suggested. They would still carry out a claims handler assessment and use a garage of their choice, not mine (Coachworks). I fail to see the difference, except that they are meant to work on my behalf and in my best interests as my insurer(not exactly Your insurers indemnify you for incurred losses covered by your contract of insurance) But in practice, insurers work on their own behalf and any administrative input from them will be costed into any premium hike for me in future(as said above extraordinary costs woul be met by third party insurers. Normal business costs are already built into premiums). That's why I wanted to go direct. I felt it would give me more control. In practice the lorry company's claims handler has basically screwed up any good relationship I would have had with my garage had they not stuck their nose in and interfered.

Comments in red!

Comment

Comments in red!

On reflection I think you are absolutely right about your comments in red. Are you a solicitor yourself?

I have lost trust in my local, chosen garage, who have stabbed me in the back, and now I am thinking about doing this through a company called : http://www.nonfaultcaraccidents.co.uk who handled things directly with the third-party's insurers who will be Aviva, even though they too still use the same firm of solicitors acting for the same buffoon claims management company working directly to the lorry driver company I am currently dealing with. I still don't want to use my insurers though. I still feel that logging a 'no fault claim' is much more likely to up my premium than a 'report only' incident will and these people might be just what I am looking for. I also feel that if the Estimated works are already agreed and priced up, there is no reason to re-do that part of the process. I can just choose another garage, get them to agree the quote and get booked in and let the third part insurers do the rest.

I will give them a call tomorrow and see what they have to say and what they can offer me. I am willing to hold tight with my own car repairs until I am satisfied that I can trust leaving the repairs with a garage who doesn't treat me like a total idiot / child rolled into one and acts as though I am not the customer here, not the third party claims management company, whether I pay them directly or not, and will do the best job they can. I can still drive the car anyway as it is still roadworthy - with all lights working and electrics in good working order. It is the bodywork that is all mushed in on one side. I am borrowing cars from other clients when I can too, so I won't be too inconvenienced. Frankly, the longer I wait, the more value my car will be if new parts are fitted nearer to the date my finance agreement is up, which will improve my roll over equity position if I want to PX - provided the work is done to the correct standard using the manufacturer's only parts where needed and as listed.

Comment

No, I'm not a solicitor, but I was in the Insurance industry for many years and qualified ACII many years ago..

I trust the settlement will progress more satisfactorily now.

May I ask why you chose nonfaultaccidents? Were they recommended to you?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X