• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hi I recently signed up.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi I recently signed up.

I declared bankrupt in 2012 . I was a single parent struggling to make ends meet and accommodation was expensive in the South East. I tried different self employment but nothing amounted to anything substantial. My ex-husband kept the family house and rented rooms in our 5 bedroom house and refused to let me and the children live there or sell the house. I found it stressful to deal with and found him intimidating and had no money to pay for a lawyer to fight this. At the time of the bankruptcy the house had no equity but a few years later the equity increases and the Trustee forced the sale of the house.My share of the profit was £32 000 which went to the trustee in bankruptcy. During the marriage my ex husband repeatedly ran up debts and we remortgaged the house each time to pay off credit card debts and was the reason sited in the divorce. I thought the whole situation was ended and I didn't think I had any capital gains tax because the house was my family home even if I wasn't living there. I then get a letter from the tax office saying that they had received a form from the trustee appointing an accountancy firm to deal with the capital gains tax issue re the sale of the house. I went to see another accountant who said I would potentially have a CGT of £22 000 because we bought the house and sold at £540 000 . Last year my income was £14, 000 and the years before that less as I was working only part time between school runs. The trustee said his company would be willing to pay for the accountancy firm but is there a conflict of interest? The other question is that the money I received money from the sale of the house all went to the Tustee so am I expected to pay tax on this ? I realise this is a complex issue but any advice would be appreciated as I don't know who I should trust.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X