• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hi Legalbeagles. Help needed. Breach of contract Mcol procedure.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Legalbeagles. Help needed. Breach of contract Mcol procedure.

I'm about to write a POC on the Mcol site regarding breach of contract on house purchase. Seller still had two garages and garden full of their belongings at 5.30pm. We completed sale at 11.30am. We ended up ( family of 4) staying in hotel overnight and having to pay for our possessions to be put in storage over night, waiting time and redelivery the following morning. They took items listed on itemized contents list and we discovered when we moved in that the electric gate that they told not only us but also our solicitor,theirs and the estate agent that they had been repaired. When in fact the gate sensors had been bypassed to make it work. We've had an expert examine them and he said, whoever has make the so called repair has broken regulations knowingly deactivating the safety feature to get them to work.
    How should I set out the POC, keeping in mind I have alot to say and not alot of space to put it in.
    Tia.
    Tags: None

Hi and welcome
    you can provide a very brief summary and state that the particulars are to follow.
    You then serve the particulars as a separate document within the time limits set out in the rule.(/www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part16/pd_part16 )
    If you do decide to use a separate document remember that you also need to file a certificate of service and you can do this by email.

Comment

Do you have to send documents or if the defendants is just trying their luck, which they are, can all the documents be sent if it has to go to court. I have followed procedure, sent them a letter outlining my grievance and how I would like it rectifying. I received a 'without prejudice' reply offering to pay for items taken but no mention of anything towards the more expensive extra removal costs and hotel bill. Obviously she took advise and was told not to incriminate herself. I was hoping I would have to send reams and reams of paper out as the defendants are a divorcing couple who live at separate addresses, so I believe I'm right in saying I'd need to send out four copies of all the information I have.
      Thanks for advise, I can assure you this isn't something I want to be doing but I can't afford to just write off over £2000. Some people are just unbelievable!

Comment

You don't have to send the documents yet, this will be at a later date if it actually gets to court. Who are you claiming against, one or the other? Can they provide an address for documents? As noted above send a fuller PoC after you have submitted the claim on line.

Comment

Hello

Writing in one big paragraph makes it difficult to read your problems so I would suggest you split your posts into several paragraphs to make it easy to read.
          Can I ask why you needed to stay in a hotel once the transaction was completed? The property becomes yours, albeit the goods not belonging to you do not, but nonetheless there is nothing to suggest the property was uninhabitable.

You said you have had to put your possessions into storage, did you put all of your possessions in there or just some of them? If you put all of them into storage could you have not stored some of those possessions at your new property and thus mitigated any losses to yourself?

Having an expert examine the gate I presume he/she also supplied you with a report on the extent of the issue? If not, I would suggest you get one because you will need to rely on that as your evidence if it did go to court.

Just so you are aware, MCOL is only suitable to claim against a single party, so if you are claiming against two parties then you cannot use MCOL and will need to use the N1 Claim Form instead.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Why werw your possessions not put in the house if it was garden and garages full with their stuff what stopped you?

Comment

I can fully understand why the OP ended up in an hotel and goods in storage o'night, having been there myself.
              I guess OP has only recited part of the problem
              I'm assuming the sellers hadn't moved their belongings out of the house 'till late afternoon, and OP's removal men can't then unload .
              This means van into secure parking overnight and hotel for family.
              You then return in the morning and find the place strewn with rubbish.
              Been there, done that and got the tee shirt!

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                Why werw your possessions not put in the house if it was garden and garages full with their stuff what stopped you?
                The seller had their vehicle parked on the drive, so we couldn't get our vehicles near, both garages and garden full of their belongings. We had 3 vehicles to unload and over 50% of that was to go into the garage, as we were downsizing! Our things had been packed to fit into the removal wagons and not in a fashion for it to be unloaded house first, so we had no idea where beds etc were to be able to sleep in the house. Part of the garage attached to the house was used as a utility so we had washer, drier, freezer, etc to go in there. All our belongings just wouldn't have fitted in the house!

Comment

Des8 got it spot on. Total nightmare. They hired a small van and one man and two women proceeded to laugh and joke as they removed items from the house that had neither been packed or secured in transit.
                  It is a couple I am claiming against, they were both named on the contract even though he had left as they are divorcing.
                  Should the poc be fill out as bullet points and amount I am seeking for each part of the claim.
                  Any ideas where I can find a draft poc to look over?
                  Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
                    Just so you are aware, MCOL is only suitable to claim against a single party, so if you are claiming against two parties then you cannot use MCOL and will need to use the N1 Claim Form instead.
                    You can now add multiple defendants to MCOL, so you can issue via them.

Originally posted by Savj View Post
                    Should the poc be fill out as bullet points and amount I am seeking for each part of the claim.
                    Many thanks.
                    The PoC on the MCOL site will have to be a very brief synopsis of the issue and the box to send further detailed PoC ticked.

The further PoC will need to set out the parties, the back ground and then what exactly is being claimed. The document will be headed the same way as a Witness Statements and each paragraph (short and concise) numbered.

Someone may have a template to upload for you, unfortunately I don't at this time.
                    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

jaguarsuk are you sure MCOL allows multiple defendants? I used the MCOL site a couple of months ago and there was no option to add multiple defendants. The MCOL guide on page 9 also confirms this:

Claims issued via MCOL can only have one claimant – if you need to issue a claim with multiple Claimants (for example, on behalf of a couple), please contact the County Court Money Claim Centre (CCMCC).
                      I suspect you are talking about the new online money claims service which is currently in trial mode at the moment. I believe this is going to supersede MCOL and become what will be the online court service for issuing not just money claims but also other types of claims or applications. As I understand it is currently restricted to money claims. So you are right in that sense, I've heard it is possible to issue against multiple defendants but not actually tried the new service yet. If going down this route, I also believe that there is a less restrictive word count than the current MCOL system which makes it very difficult to write POC unless the claim is very straightforward

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
                        jaguarsuk are you sure MCOL allows multiple defendants? I used the MCOL site a couple of months ago and there was no option to add multiple defendants. The MCOL guide on page 9 also confirms this:

I suspect you are talking about the new online money claims service which is currently in trial mode at the moment. I believe this is going to supersede MCOL and become what will be the online court service for issuing not just money claims but also other types of claims or applications. As I understand it is currently restricted to money claims. So you are right in that sense, I've heard it is possible to issue against multiple defendants but not actually tried the new service yet. If going down this route, I also believe that there is a less restrictive word count than the current MCOL system which makes it very difficult to write POC unless the claim is very straightforward
                        No the older system, see below:

mcol.png

You can't go beyond 2, but that's all the OP needs.
                        COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

I stand corrected!
                          LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Originally posted by Savj View Post
                            Many thanks.
                            If this is your first court action, you might find it useful to read a little!
                            try this for starters https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/...+web+FINAL.pdf

on page 11 is an example of PoC, but i doubt you'll find a template as each case is different.
                            when you have drafted your PoC, post it up so it can be checked and tweaked if required

Comment

Hi All,
                              I know this has been a long time coming but I've had alsorts going off. Finally got round to starting my MCOL claim.
                              Can you please advise as to whether I'm going down the right track with my Pol. I'm really struggling to get across what I need to in such a limited space.
                              Many thanks for your help.
                              Attached Files

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X