• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DVLA summons for car nor owned at time of offence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVLA summons for car nor owned at time of offence

Hi I’m hoping someone on here can give me some advice.
    I had a vehicle which I returned to the finance company on 18th December. I sent off the V5 the next day and did not receive the DVLA reciept until early Feb. I didn’t think much of it but then got a charge by post in June that I had this vehicle without insurance on 27th December... so a week after I parted with it.
    the finance company have sent confirmation that they took the vehicle on that date so that should be the end of it right?
    Dvla have now summoned me for no insurance even though they accept that I was not the keeper of the vehicle at that time.
    on speaking to them, they now say they didn’t receive to V5 until the end of Januarynand therefore I’m still liable!

Dvla sway between being helpful to downright useless.
    i have complied with my part of the bargin but can’t prove when I sent the V5 as it wasn’t recorded.
    they have told me if I pay £100 they will drop it. Can they prosecute me for a late V5 if that is proven in court even though the summons is for no insurance? Both in any case have not happened!
    Thabks in advance.
    Tags: None

Hello

There have been a few cases where the DVLA have tried to summon people on here and eventually backed out. The arguments in your defence is largely based on the Interpretation Act and other things such as evidence that the vehicle was not in your possession.

I would suggest you have a read of the following links which are probably going to be your defence.

http://legalbeagles.info/forums/foru...highlight=dvla

http://legalbeagles.info/forums/foru...highlight=dvla

Tagging des8 too
    Last edited by R0b; 24th July 2018, 08:05:AM.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Ownership of a vehicle is not proven by the V5, it is proven by receipt. Therefore if you can prove (have paperwork) that the vehicle was returned to the finance company on the 18th December that will invalidate any action being brought against you. You don't have the vehicle anymore and you had no access to it.

You may just have to go through the process of going to court etc and then just proving your case there. I would advise going to see a solicitor and they will be able to go through the right procedure etc.
      Last edited by james_law; 24th July 2018, 09:37:AM. Reason: adding additional info
      The information I supply is provided for informational purposes only and, should not be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Just because DVLA say they didn't receive the V5 doesn't invalidate your claim to have posted the document by !st class post.
        Write back and remind them of the Interpretation Act (sec 7) as R0b, and invite them to drop their request for payment.
        Inform them that if they continue to court you will plead not guilty, lodge a sworn affidavit regarding the posting of the V5 and claim your costs from them.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X