• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Flight delay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight delay

My RyanIr flight was delayed from Faro to London Stansted by 7 hours due to Crewe on strike. I wrote to Ryanair for compensation but they replied to say it was "out of their control"! The strike took place over three days & my flight was on day 2 so they could of brought in alternative staff to cover the shifts but they didn't. What can I do next to get my compensation?
    Tags: None

Can I claim flight delay compensation?

Unlike delays for other reasons, airlines are usually not obligated to offer compensation following a strike because strikes are usually considered to be 'extraordinary circumstances' - situations beyond the control of the airline that can include adverse weather conditions as well as certain strike action.

But, ?sudden strikes aren't classed as extraordinary circumstances when the industrial action has been called by an airline's staff ?rather than a third party, such as an air traffic control or a baggage handling strike.

This principle was confirmed by European judges in the German case of Helga Krüsemann and Others v TUIfly GmbH and will be legally binding throughout Europe and in the UK.

It remains the airline’s responsibility to ensure it has contingencies in place to guarantee you still arrive on time
    My plane has been delayed or cancelled due to airline staff strikes

The European Court has ruled that when airline staff go on strike this is not an extraordinary circumstance because it is both an event which is inherent in the running of an airline and also within its control.

This means that you can claim compensation for delays or cancellations caused by the airline staff going on strike.

If it’s another organisation going on strike, such as baggage handlers or air traffic control then the law is less clear and it is likely that court proceedings would be required in order to decide on the specific circumstances of your case.

Occasionally the staff that work for an airline can go on strike to demand better pay or working conditions. BA staff have threatened strike action several times over the last few years and there have also been airline or pilot strikes in France.

Comment

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8456721.html

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X