• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Agricultural Law - Farmers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agricultural Law - Farmers

Hi All

Last month my 1 year old dogs decided that they would run off

Although I did not see them, I did get a call from the farmers wife who called me to say that the sheep had been chased off the hillside to their death and one mauled lamb

The farmers wife had held the dogs and when I went to pic them up, there was no blood on their being

The farmer told me that this was the third time he had sheep killed and last time he went to court he received no money

My main concern is that the farmers perimeter fence was not secured and left the sheep exposed to not just my dogs frightening them, but to other types of animals attacking them

Does anyone know of what the liabilities are on both sides?

Best regards

Derek

Tags: None

Compensation for injuries suffered to livestock is mainly governed by the Animals Act 1971. Where a dog causes damage by killing or injuring livestock, any person who is a keeper of the dog is strictly liable for the damage. This means that the liability will fall on the dog owner without the need to make a finding of fault. As such, the law is slanted in the farmer’s favour.

The farmer however needs to exercise his duty of care to keep his live stock under control not just for their safety in relation to other animals, but also road users and other agricultural vehicles. It's probably the reason he lost his previous claim.

You're actually lucky he didn't shoot the dogs as the Act provides a statutory defence to farmers who injure a dog in order to protect their livestock. But, to be able to rely on the defence, farmers will need to demonstrate that:

(a) there are no reasonable means of preventing the worrying (or the dog has been worrying livestock);

(b) the dog has not left the vicinity;

(c) the dog is not under an individual’s control; and

(d) There are no practicable means of ascertaining its owner. What constitutes the necessary practical steps will depend on the circumstances, but it could extend to trying to ascertain whether anybody in the immediate vicinity is the owner, and who would have the ability to bring the dog back under control.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

If you have home insurance that includes public liability it is possible that damage caused by your pets to third parties is covered.

Whether or not the farmer has warned you that he will be seeking compensation from you, you should advise your insurers of a possible claim.
      Whether or not it s covered (if you have PL insurance) will depend on the wording of the policy

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X