• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hello,

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello,

Hello,

I am new on the forum. I have been defending a claim from a car parking company who issued a fine. I am the stage of filling in my N180 and would like a little advice.
    The claimant is suggesting that we don't actually go to court but have the case dealt with via papers. This would suit me as I don't relish going to court but is this sensible?

Thanks
    K
    Tags: None

Originally posted by 1412kc View Post
    Hello,

I am new on the forum. I have been defending a claim from a car parking company who issued a fine. I am the stage of filling in my N180 and would like a little advice.
    The claimant is suggesting that we don't actually go to court but have the case dealt with via papers. This would suit me as I don't relish going to court but is this sensible?

Thanks
    K
    It is your and their right if they wish to have this heard on paper. However, the judge will read only what is written and if they're unsure about something can't ask questions. It's always better to attend a hearing and maybe a telephone hearing could prove a good middle ground if available.

While you say you don't relish it I would say it's not like you see on TV or in films. Small claims are much more informal and if you're in a large court (such as in a city) are unlikely to even go into an actual court room, you'll go into what is effectively an office and sit opposite a judge, but next to them and discuss the claim. If you are in a smaller place and have to go into the court room it's still less formal and you'll jut sit to discuss the claim.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Thank you, that is very helpful.
      I was being guided by BMPA but they appear to have disappeared. It was suggested that the driver rely on the fact that no contract was offered, so they couldn't accept or decline. And that the driver only stopped for approximately 10 minutes and this fine was out of proportion.
      The company haven't identified whether I was the driver, just the registered keeper. Do you have any further advice?

Thanks

Comment

I'm don't know much about parking, but you have entered a defence and therefore it would be a good idea to post a copy of their Particulars of Claim and your defence with personal information obscured to allow someone who might be able to advise to see exactly what has been said and by whom.

ostell perhaps could help
        COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X