• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hello new member - VT car - pay for low loader?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello new member - VT car - pay for low loader?

Hi I'm a new member who has issues with VW Finance regarding a Voluntary Termination process. I advised them on 19th Feb of my wish to terminate the contract at which time the vehicle was taxed and tested. However due to delays and errors made by BCA, by the time they collect the vehicle it will no longer be taxed or tested as it ran out at the end of February. They are now asking me to pay the charges for a low loader to collect the vehicle as it can't be driven away. Please advise as I do not feel that I am in any way to blame for this problem and do not therefore feel it is my responsibility to pay for the low loader. That said If I have to, I shall have the car MOT'd and be done with it. Thanks Jo
    Tags: None

R0b I believe it is their problem not yours, but R0b will confirm
    Sorry i'm just thinking out loud, it might be irrelevant, I am not employed in anyway in the legal profession, please ensure you research any advice I give before using it I have been known to be wrong on multiple occasions.

Comment

Hello

As above, if you notified them to collect the car but it has taken over a month for them to do so because of delays and errors on BCA's part then you shouldn't be held liable for that. Just out of curiosity, did you tell VW when the tax and MOT would run out?

Strictly speaking, when you terminate the agreement and provided you have paid 50% of the total amount payable, any other liabilities which causes you to incur further expense is void and unenforceable. Your only responsibility is to look after the car and make it available for them to collect at a convenient time for both sides.

I generally say that any tax and insurance on the car is kept for at least 14 days after termination to allow them to collect it though if the MOT is going to run out then that is probably something you ought to make them aware of at the earliest opportunity. If you did that then I would say you have good reason to refuse any liability for the low loader. If you wilfully let the MOT expire and failed to inform VW then there might be an argument based on reasonableness that you should pay for the low loader (or as you said get an MOT).

From a legal perspective, you only have to return the car in a reasonable condition and although a valid MOT shows a car might be roadworthy, it's not definitive as an MOT only guarantees that a car is roadworthy on the day it is tested, and it could be, for example, unroadworthy two weeks later despite passing an MOT test.

You are in possession of all the facts and information so the decision really is whether you wish to challenge it or simply pay for an MOT and not potentially drag this out.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
        From a legal perspective, you only have to return the car in a reasonable condition and although a valid MOT shows a car might be roadworthy, it's not definitive as an MOT only guarantees that a car is roadworthy on the day it is tested, and it could be, for example, unroadworthy two weeks later despite passing an MOT test.
        Also logically if the car were under 3 years old it may not of required an MOT anyway.
        Sorry i'm just thinking out loud, it might be irrelevant, I am not employed in anyway in the legal profession, please ensure you research any advice I give before using it I have been known to be wrong on multiple occasions.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X