• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

New user- Hi & right to buy considerations after owners death

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New user- Hi & right to buy considerations after owners death

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for my question, I have searched but not found a definitive like for like so please forgive me if I have missed one.

My mother bought her council house on the right to buy scheme in July 2013, she sadly passed away last year. I live overseas and now have the grant of administration to action everything and tie up all of the accounts etc so am just getting to work on everything

My question is regarding the ownership of the property and what to do? I understand that if the house would have been sold by mum before 5 years had elapsed then she woud have had to pay back a percentage of the discount she received and within the 10 years you first offer it to the landlord (in this case the Council) to buy it back which is all fine.

We have not yet decided what to do with the property and I am reluctant to do anything that will force us to sell the house before we are ready to let it go (sentimental but true).

Does anyone know if we will be obliged to sell the house once I register the deeds in my name or can we keep the house/ rent it out etc? Is there anything else that I should be aware of before I trigger this transfer?

Thank you all in advance
    Last edited by cheltkat1980; 20th March 2018, 14:13:PM. Reason: Edited to add tags

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X