• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HELP!!!! Excel Parking - Parking Charge - At Mediation Stage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!!! Excel Parking - Parking Charge - At Mediation Stage

Dear Sir/Madam,

Last year in June, the driver in question visited the Cavendish Retail Park in Keighley to go to Sports Direct and purchased some shoes. Unbeknown to the driver, the car park was a camera operated car park and was a pay car park. The driver found this out when they received a notice in July from Excel Parking Services. It is worth noting at this point that:
    - The driver was unaware that this was a pay car park; it was not clear to the driver. The driver is an observant driver with no accident history
    - It is a retail car park. Usually retail car parks (especially Sports Direct) are not pay
    - The driver actually purchased something at Sports Direct
    - The driver had used this car park prior to this event and didn't receive any notice
    - If it was made clear to the driver that they would receive a £100 fine for not paying then they 100% would've paid. There's no reason they would've chanced it for the sake of 50p.
    - The driver earlier this year discovered that 2 of their friends received the same notice from the same car park under the same circumstances. Unfortunately both of them felt rather uneasy by the threatening letters stating that they would receive a CCJ, so they paid.

After ignoring the first 2 notices (as the driver initially thought it was some sort of a scam), BW Legal then got involved. The driver continued to ignore the letters until they received the attached CCBC letter in late Jan 2018. Here they contacted BWL to ask what all of these additional costs were and that they didn't agree with the parking notice; the representative explained they were in the terms and conditions within the car park (again debatable). The driver was initially going to pay to make it go away, but thought no, this is not right!

The driver has been back to the site since the CCBC letter to gather photographic evidence (they parked across the road this time!!). They have since seen a sign at the front which isn't directly in front of the driver and not that clear. Again the Ts&Cs were not clear either. They can in addition provide the images they gathered and a map of the site and where they parked.

The driver then sent a defence statement in (attached) after viewing some of the cases on here. BWL have since indicated that they wish to pursue the claim. The latest correspondence is a mediation form (attached)

Please find attached all correspondence from the first notice from Excel Parking - SANITISED

I think due to the reasons detailed above after the first paragraph, the driver cannot be held liable due to the fact they didn't formally enter into a contract.

I understand also that Excel Parking Services don't own the land and simply "administer" the parking. After some further research I understand this can also provide issues when it comes to enforcing the contract.

As per the latest attached correspondence, the driver has until the 26th March 2018 to respond to the small claims track/mediation letter from the CCBC

Please Help!!!

Kind regards

J
    Last edited by Jamo11; 15th March 2018, 20:51:PM.
    Tags: None

I'm sorry I do't open zip files. Post the pictures on an external site and provide a link to them.

Have you identified the driver at the tiome to Excel
    Have you contacted Sports Direct and complained to them?

Comment

Hi,

Will separate pdfs do? Should be able to post in a couple of hours if so.

I have done neither of those. In hindsight contacting Sports Direct straight away could've been a good option although I would then have been acknowledging correspondence

Kind regards

J

Comment

PDF or JPGs would be fine. ZIP files I'm always nervous of.

This location pops up regularly on PePiPoo here's a link. Edit that first post so that the driver is not identified. Still worth contacting Sports Direct. They can still order Excel to stop.

Comment

Attached 1 of 3

I'll let you know how I get on with Sports Direct.

Do you think I should try to mediate?

Kind regards

J
          Attached Files

Comment

Attached 3 of 3
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Ostell,

Getting nothing out of Sports Direct. I've actually since found out that due to what I suspect is public pressure, Excel have pulled out of this particular car park. Unsure what ramifications this will have on the case but it probably explains why Sports Direct aren't bothered!

Should we pursue the mediation track for now?

I've since received BW's copy of there small claims track form

Kind regards

J

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X