• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bar put in place after claim paid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bar put in place after claim paid

Hello,

I filed a claim on MCOL against someone last month, and sent him the particulars, documents and claim number via email, which he confirmed he received.
    When he didn't respond to the claim, I asked for judgement in default.
    I then notified him that he needs to pay, but he claimed he never received the claim forms. He decided to pay a day later as the judgement against him prevented him from receiving credit. Once he did that, I notified the court of his payment. It shows on MCOL that the court accepted my notification of payment, the claim is in paid status, and a bar was put in place for the defendant.

Is the bar to prevent enforcement given that he paid the claim in full, or is he trying to take measures to set it aside?

Thanks!
    Tags: None

I think it's most likely just to prevent enforcement action as the claim has been dealt with and paid.

If he paid within 28 days of that default judgment being awarded ( which it sounds like it was) it should just come off the register so shouldn't affect him at all.. If it was outside the 28 days then it could be he's applied to set-aside but I think it's most likely so you don't inadvertently apply for a warrant of control or anything.

For future ref though, post the claim unless you have a specific agreement with the other side to accept service through email, and even then mail a hardcopy anyway. ( MCOL normally send the claim on to the issue address in any case ).
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X