• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Scotland. Level 4 warning not to drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotland. Level 4 warning not to drive

Some days ago this weather warning was issued which pretty much said do not drive. Actual text read:

"Police Scotland is advising drivers in much of the southern and central belt areas to avoid travelling on the roads tonight, following a warning by the Met Office of severe weather between 21:00 tonight and 05:00 tomorrow.The areas affected are: Dumfries and Galloway, East Lothian, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scottish Borders, West Lothian, East Ayrshire, East Renfrewshire, North Lanarkshire, South Ayrshire and South Lanarkshire.
    The Stage Four AMBER warning has been issued as a result of severe snow showers forecasted for these areas overnight and Police Scotland advises that if you do travel, you are likely to experience severe delays of several hours or more."

If a person decided not to take the advice and to travel for non important matters and was involved in an accident as in say sliding off the road, how would the insurers consider the matter?

Many thanks for reading

Poly Hive
    Tags: None

Re: Scotland. Level 4 warning not to drive

Originally posted by Poly Hive View Post
    Some days ago this weather warning was issued which pretty much said do not drive. Actual text read:

"Police Scotland is advising drivers in much of the southern and central belt areas to avoid travelling on the roads tonight, following a warning by the Met Office of severe weather between 21:00 tonight and 05:00 tomorrow.The areas affected are: Dumfries and Galloway, East Lothian, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scottish Borders, West Lothian, East Ayrshire, East Renfrewshire, North Lanarkshire, South Ayrshire and South Lanarkshire.
    The Stage Four AMBER warning has been issued as a result of severe snow showers forecasted for these areas overnight and Police Scotland advises that if you do travel, you are likely to experience severe delays of several hours or more."

If a person decided not to take the advice and to travel for non important matters and was involved in an accident as in say sliding off the road, how would the insurers consider the matter?

Many thanks for reading

Poly Hive
    I believe that insurance companies will monitor these weather warnings and would expect their customers to show due diligence in minimising liability, to what extent they would decline a claim or part of a claim may vary company to company.

Personally I would not travel or recommend others to do so in view of such a warning.

nem

Comment

Re: Scotland. Level 4 warning not to drive

If I chose to drive despite severe weather warnings I would anticipate my insurers would meet any valid claim.
      Failure to do so would see them in court for an action for specific performance.

I know of no motor insurance policy which includes a special condition or exclusion for losses due to severe weather warnings .
      In fact a comprehensive policy covers the vehicle against storm damage, and imagine the problems if one was caught out in severe weather and had an accident.
      The insurers cannot withdraw third party liability coverage without prior notice to the insured, so that would cause them problems as well .

In Ireland due to similar fears raised on (un)social media about Storm Ophelia Insurance Ireland (representative body for 130 irish insurers ) said motor insurance cover would operate as normal during the storm impact. UK insurers would be no different.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X