• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can the estate agent disclose the photos of your property to the surveyor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can the estate agent disclose the photos of your property to the surveyor?

My neighbour has brought me to the court, claiming that my renovation work has caused the damage on her side of the party wall. The judge has ordered both me and my neighbour to appoint the surveyor to assess the party wall. After assessing the walls, my neighbour has adviced the surveyor about who was my Estate Agent and the surveyor has requested the sale brochure with the photos of my property (before I have purchased it) from the estate agent. And the estate agent, without my consent, has provided the information, including the phtotos to the surveyor who used the photos against me in his report as he pointed out the works that I have done to the property that actually had nothing to do with the party wall itself. Has the estate agent breached the Data Protection which actually caused me harm? Can I use it against them and try to get a compensation for the losses I occured due to the lost court case?
    Tags: None

Re: Can the estate agent disclose the photos of your property to the surveyor?

In my opinion if the photos were in the sale brochure then they would probably be public anyway. Most agents put property on the big online sites like Zoopla etc and it stays on even after the property is sold so maybe the info would have been there anyway .

Comment

You will have absolutely zero chance of bringing any claim for breach of data protection. First of all, you have admitted that the photos disclosed were taken prior to you owning the property which means you have no leg to stand on as there would no doubt be terms and conditions between the estate agent and the seller about taking photographs to market the property - you are not party to the contract so no remedy there. Secondly, the standard position is that ownership of photographs rests with the person who took them, except if your an employee of a business then its the business who owns the copyright. Thirdly, there is an exemption under the Act that allows disclosure of personal data for the purpose of legal proceedings.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

I'd have been more concerned with disproving their allegations that the work you have undertaken since purshasing the property have caused the damage to the party wall. The surveyor has looked at the before and after photo's ( and inspection of both properties) and given his opinion to the court that those works caused the damage, presumably - Did you defend against the case and attend the hearing ?
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

The surveyor " pointed out the works that I have done to the property that actually had nothing to do with the party wall itself."

So how was it that your "
          renovation work has caused the damage on her side of the party wall."

As [MENTION=6]Amethyst[/MENTION] did you defend?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X