• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Heroes of comedy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heroes of comedy

gotta be in this list

Comment

someone asked for Rowan Atkinson

for Sapphy

Comment

For Peter

Comment

for Sappy

my choice

Comment

Hi Thanks for that P

Don Estelle (the litle guy), i always thought had a lovely tone to his voice. Unfortunately he was in the era of the handsome tenor, so he never managed to really get the recognition many thought his voice deserved.

Today i think he would have done better ala Susan Boil perhaps.

He was buried in his home town of Rochdale togeher with his trademark pith helmet

Peter

Comment

I'm going to be really controversial here and say that I've been watching "Strike it Rich" on Challenge late at night and, in his day and before he lost the plot for whatever demons and reasons, Michael Barrymore was funny. I almost feel like a criminal saying that and I don't condone for one minute the train crash he made of his and others lives but when I looked on youtube and saw two particular intros to the show - 'Strike it Rich and the phone joke' and 'Strike it Rich and Eric' - I still can't grasp how he lost that ability to interact and be funny.

Its always going to be controversial now talking about him so for reasons of taste, I will not post the links on here but for those who did find him funny back then, check the above two out and for others, I hope I have not caused offence.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowcat View Post
                I'm going to be really controversial here and say that I've been watching "Strike it Rich" on Challenge late at night and, in his day and before he lost the plot for whatever demons and reasons, Michael Barrymore was funny. I almost feel like a criminal saying that and I don't condone for one minute the train crash he made of his and others lives but when I looked on youtube and saw two particular intros to the show - 'Strike it Rich and the phone joke' and 'Strike it Rich and Eric' - I still can't grasp how he lost that ability to interact and be funny.

Its always going to be controversial now talking about him so for reasons of taste, I will not post the links on here but for those who did find him funny back then, check the above two out and for others, I hope I have not caused offence.

As far as i am concerned if sometging is funny then it's funny, and i agree he was.

Peter

Comment

Okies I'm going to be controversial too, in my previous relationship I was lucky to meet a hell of a lot of 'stars' including comedians, each one had their quirky ways but I never met a horrible one, or at least they were never horrible to me.

Jim Davidson - hilarious and a lovely guy
                  Bernard Manning - a true gent
                  Mike Read - my friends dad, a great loss
                  Jimmy Jones - could tell the most outrageous jokes in private
                  Freddie Star - don't ever let him buy you a drink, I did and I finally left the bar the next morning and so, so naughty
                  Tommy Cooper - I spent an hour trying to get him out of a bar and onto stage, the man was crazy, but lovely

Comment

TBH, my belief is that any comedian who is worth his salt has to push the boundaries - we don't laugh at the same joke twice. So, they have to break new ground all the time, and we often find this uncomfortable. Comedy, IMHO, is all about being offensive - but within agreed boundaries. Those boundaries have to be pushed continually, though. We NEED the nutters in our society, as much as we need the 'Norms' (in the John Wyndham 'Chrysalids' aspect). They make us look at ourselves - and we either laugh, because we see the folly of our own ways - or we take offence, because we refuse to.

If I want to be told what a truly lovely person I am, I will NOT consult a comedian, any more than I would consult a saint (whatever that is). If I want some truth - then I would happily consult a comedian OR a saint. They BOTH 'tell it like it is.' To me - the bottom line is that we are all suffering from the same disease - the 'Human Condition' - and we all need sympathy from our fellow beings. Comedians do just that - as do 'saints.'

Mr. Barrymore was no more a saint than I am, and he never pretended to be. So many others never pretended to be saints. They were the good ones, IMHO.

Comment

My adopted granddad "pops" always said:

The difference between a democracy and a dictatorship is peoples rights to an opinion, and the rightsan be of others to disagree!" he also said that laughter was eternal.

Personally, if thousands of people laughed at said comedians, not all of them wrong, I will trawl youtube and find some vids for you guys.. PC or not, they were comedy greats and deserve to be in this list, especially the true gentleman that was Mike Reid.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X