• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Consultation on COURT FEES - N244 up to £255 in APRIL - HAVE YOUR SAY

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Consultation on COURT FEES - N244 up to £255 in APRIL - HAVE YOUR SAY

Sent: 30 July 2015 15:16:02 BST
    To:
    Subject: Re: "Not increase the fee for a general application in civil proceedings to £255" (Case Ref: ZA7942)

Dear Mrs

Thank you for contacting me about the recent increases in court fees.

First of all, I am proud of our justice system and I believe the courts play a critical role in our society, but we must ensure that they are properly funded. This is why the Government introduced a fee to commence proceedings for the recovery of money of 5% of the value of the claim on claims for more than £10,000, subject to a maximum fee capped at £10,000. Setting the value of claims subject to fees at this level meant that 90% of cases would not be affected by the introduction of this fee, therefore, this increase would have only a negligible impact on the overall cost of litigation. It is my understanding that these measures could deliver an estimated £120 million in additional income, which the courts could use to invest in delivering a better service.

You may be interested to know that we decided not to proceed at this stage with the proposal to charge higher fees for commercial proceedings. Furthermore, having listened to the concerns raised during the consultation, we decided not to raise the fee for divorce for the time being. I agree that it is necessary to increase income to the Courts from fees.

Increasing court fees will never be welcome. I believe, however, it is right that those who use the services should make a greater contribution towards their running costs, where they can afford to do so. I am also sure that those who choose to litigate in our courts will continue to recognise the outstanding qualities our legal services offer, and the excellent value for money they provide.

Thank you again for contacting me on this issue.

Yours sincerely
    Jonathan Djanogly
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

signed

Comment

Originally posted by Turboman View Post
        signed
        Better late than never!

:bolt: :behindsofa:

Comment

This came in yesterday.

https://hansard.digiminster.com/Lord...nt%29Order2016 - 'debate' (at 8..00pm on 15th March) to approve the SI
          Lord Beecham

My Lords, I will not take up the time of the House. I do not, of course, agree with the Minister’s defence of the Government’s attitude, which seeks effectively to make a profit for the purposes of government—in whichever ministry—out of proceedings. In particular, the order imposes increases with no justification of their size, no common principle applied to the percentage increase, and in a way which, despite what the Minister says, will undoubtedly lead to people having great difficulties. The earnings level that I referred to is low. Beyond £245 a week, people will be expected to pay—and pay, potentially, several hundred pounds. That cannot be in the interests of justice. It is a continuing part of the Government’s assault on access to justice. But, having regard to the usual practice, I beg leave to withdraw the amendment while continuing to express regret at what many in the profession, and many who support people endeavouring to seek justice, maintain is a thoroughly bad decision by the Government and a thoroughly bad order.

SI - The Civil Proceedings, Family Proceedings and Upper Tribunal Fees (Amendment) Order 2016 (the Fees Order)

I didn't notice because all of the news concentrated solely on the divorce fee rise bit of it.

We did manage 745 signatures... it's just not an issue people care about until it slaps them in the face.

Gov site guide to court fees has been updated - https://www.gov.uk/government/public...d-family-court
          Last edited by Amethyst; 22nd March 2016, 07:34:AM.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

SI made on Thursday, in force on Monday. Not sneaking that in or anything, honest.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X