• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Civil Recovery Firm lashes out at Consumer Forums after Court defeat

Collapse
Important !
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Civil Recovery Firm lashes out at Consumer Forums after Court defeat

Thanks EXC - that little 'précis' worked for me. Watching this whole scenario unfold in the public domain has been a privilege. I do indeed reckon that Cel's courageous step has shown that the meek have hidden strengths - and that is what these forums have been proving over the years, isn't it ? Only when you corner an animal that has nothing to lose, do you find out just what it is capable of in a fight for survival. I only wish I could have helped - as I'm sure so many other Beagles do - but it's a privilege to be allowed to run with the pack, even though I am on me last legs !!!

I would dearly love to see some recognition from certain quarters for Cel's - and you guys' - brave stance on this. It doesn't have to be gushing admiration - just a show of decency and (albeit grudging, maybe) mutual respect.

Comment

Lokks like the letter from the solicitors trying to stifle free speech as the opposite effect to what they wanted its reported all over the place and i expect millions more will have read about this company next i expect will be a tv programme like despatches which will expose the dealings of civil recovery firms then the change in the law and an end to this type of operation as i always say crime shpuld always be dealt with by the criminal system no one on here im sure will condone crime but most deplore the tactics bullying and threats from civil enforcement firms hope the libel campaign gets results again a cause well supported next mor campaigns to get a society for the 21st century the days of debtors prisons transportation and workhouses are long gone

Comment

As with all these Companies they are merely Profit Driven & the end of the day, regardless of other peoples consequencies - money mad.

Comment

ty exc! I understand it now...

and TY cel for going, even though you sat next to Dr Dreamy Brian Cox... still jealous!

From someone who has done back up vocals in a pub, its nerve wracking enough opening your mouth in front of bunch of drunken yocals, let alone in front of one of the best brains in the world! Hopefully people like me, who think I cant fight them, im not clever enough.. will now think, I have people who want to help me, who can give me advise.. i CAN do this im not alone!

Comment

Good piece on 'Watchdog'

Comment

Originally posted by puffrose View Post
              ty exc! I understand it now...

and TY cel for going, even though you sat next to Dr Dreamy Brian Cox... still jealous!

From someone who has done back up vocals in a pub, its nerve wracking enough opening your mouth in front of bunch of drunken yocals, let alone in front of one of the best brains in the world! Hopefully people like me, who think I cant fight them, im not clever enough.. will now think, I have people who want to help me, who can give me advise.. i CAN do this im not alone!
              You forgot to mention : - You also have the guts to have a go. <quote>

Comment

yeh forgot that bit.. im a muppet today i really am!

I guess what im trying to say Cel is, and you need to forgive me here, i didnt study and im border line dyslexic so putting my thoughts in to words is hard,

It takes sheer guts to go to somewhere like the houses of parliment and say We want change,
                Because people like Dara and Prof Brian stood up and said We agree, we want change, mr and mrs normal are going to think well maybe I CAN write that complaint letter about the dodgy building job i had done.. and maybe that lady who was on the TV can help me!

WELL DONE to all who had the sheer nerve to go to the debate, and understand it. Thank you Dara, Prof. Brian, Stephen and co.. you are amazing!

Comment

So what is rhe state of play with the bill at the moment?

Comment

This is where it is currently

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/...efamation.html

Comment

This is pertinent from the second reading

Turning to what is the most innovative and difficult part of the Bill, I am also very concerned that our current libel regime is not well suited to dealing with the internet and modern technology. Legitimate criticism sometimes goes unheard because the liability of website operators, as providers of the platform on which vast amounts of information is published by users, puts them in the impossible position of having to decide when to defend or censor information. Meanwhile, individuals can be the subject of scurrilous rumour and allegation on the web with little meaningful remedy against the person responsible. We need to refocus and modernise the system so that it offers effective protection, whether offline or online, both for freedom of speech and the reputation of those who have been defamed

D

Comment

I think the main way us beagles can help is to spread awareness, if you have FB add the link to the letter.. or to the parliment screens, if you have twitter, retweet if you think its an important tweet.

obviously leave out anything thats gonna (to quote JarJar Binks) drop us in de deep doo doo!

If cel can sit in a room full of MPs going Well said dear boy for hours on end, then we can do her this favour and take a little of the weight off her shoulders!

Comment

http://www.publications.parliament.u.../120626s01.htm

4.45pm on discusses the case reported on this thread.

Originally posted by MacShane 4.45
                          I am concerned that as the Bill progresses, we have an extraordinarily egregious example of exactly the points that the shadow Minister, my hon. Friend the Member for Stoke-on-Trent South, covers in his new clause, and that is the news that the law firm Schillings is showering defamation writs on the citizens advice bureau—one of the most prestigious and respected of all the voluntary organisations that we all have relationships with—as well as the law firm Bates Wells and Braithwaite, the Justice Gap website and the consumer websites Legal Beagles and Consumer Action Group.
                          Last edited by Amethyst; 28th June 2012, 10:48:AM.
                          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

There are already provisions in existence to deal with those who post up defamatory and malicious comments on the internet in the form of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 and Communications Act 2003. It doesn't need libel laws to further complicate the matter. The commercial sector has abused and misused the English Legal System far too often and something does need to be done to curb and abate this. Restricting their use of libel laws is a start.
                            Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

I think defamation regulation is needed, although not in its current form. The position that exists over the pond would be a huge step to far in my opinion.

I read somewhere that the offense in connection with entries on web sites like this is usually regarded akin to slander rather than liable, due to the transitory nature of the information exchange (like a conversation) I think they avoided the term in their letter unless i missed it.
                              Slander is seldom prosecuted, not to say that it can't be.

D

Comment

out of interest visited the website lossprevention dot co uk

time being of the essence lets quote what we see at our first point of contact on the said website as @12.40 on Thursday June 2012 :

"Welcome to Retail Loss Prevention Ltd, the pioneer of extensive Civil Recovery services to businesses in the United Kingdom. We aim to equip our clients with an effective deterrent to theft and the ability to drive down the cost of crime.
                                Companies are at ever growing risk of losses due to change within the economic and social environment within the UK. High unemployment and decreased desire to work increases risk. Growing debt levels, gambling, and those aspiring to higher lifestyles beyond their means are increasing dramatically the number of employees stealing from their employers."

..... so there we have it mi-lord

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X