• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Your views needed! BIS taking unfairness assessibility of ancillary charges to EU.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your views needed! BIS taking unfairness assessibility of ancillary charges to EU.

Consumer Rights Directive consultation - unfair charges - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

Please read and give us your views. Time is quite short as the response needs to be in by 24th August. Massive thanks to Wendy on MSE for giving us the info.

This is a major step forwards showing the government are taking their pre election promises to sort out unfair charges seriously - lets get behind them

Thanks all

Ame
    xx
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Re: Your views needed! BIS taking unfairness assessibility of ancillary charges to EU

Very interesting stuff this. From memory both J Smith and the Court of Appeal both upheld previous case law that UO charges were indeed ancillary and the Supreme Court ruled that the charges were only ''part of the price'' paid for the core service. And this is where the package of services argument leaves the banks exposed.

This is what we've been waiting for isn't it? A charge in EU legislation which could force a change to national law as even if the the UK Government takes a less than positive view in it's consultation stance, what Europe decides, goes.

I've sent a copy to TB and in my opinion we should seriously consider commissioning him to draft our response - if he's not already doing one himself - for which I'd be happy to take care of.

Comment

Re: Your views needed! BIS taking unfairness assessibility of ancillary charges to EU

Funnily enough I just discussed the same with Tools, although I came to the conclusion he probably had more than enough on with the work he's doing at the moment.

It does sound very exciting although lots of barriers to hurdle over, and just what we've been wanting. The changes proposed to 6(2) are very similar to what WHICH? were suggesting in the financial services bill aren't they ? of course encompassing all ancillary charges not JUST bank charges which would have been far too difficult to get through as seen by the discussions in the lords. Might be a useful reference though.

If TB is up for it then of course I'd be more than honoured for him to assist, otherwise, and as well as, I think we have a very busy week.

Also is the team Vince mentioned to Budgie involved in this ?
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Yes it is similar to the Which? proposal but that only extends to a proposed change in national law. What I'm excited about is the the fact that the consultation is an EU initiative and not one that's come from a consumer group.

I'll get on the case with TB but in the meantime it would be good to have some members views. Don't know if Team Cable have anything to do with it - Bud?

Comment

I'll do some ADVERTISING, as people seem to ignore my little announcements...
          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
            I'll do some ADVERTISING, as people seem to ignore my little announcements...
            Beat you to it.

Comment

lol, you wait !

Once thats done I'll put my views down.
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Blimey I thought this whole process would take years but....

''The new Directive (when agreed) is likely to be adopted in 2011. A formal UK consultation exercise will take place on the proposed new Regulations when transposing the new Directive into UK legislation.''

Comment

And it isnt even September yet !
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

Hiya. I havnt been on the site for just over a year! Ive got a lot of reading to do to catch up on stuff so I will send my views in the next day or two. I just wanted to ask one question tho, I put a claim in about 3 years or so ago to reclaim my bank charges. Where will that claim stand now and do I need to do anything? The answers are probably already here but to save time and a lot of reading could you give me a quick update.
                    Thanks

Comment

Hi LavenderRose, nice to see you again. Was your claim in the courts, FOS or with the bank?
                      Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

It was with the bank.

Comment

Originally posted by LavenderRose View Post
                          Where will that claim stand now and do I need to do anything?
                          Unless it's a hardship claim the banks are routinely rejecting all bank charge claim since the Supreme court judgment in November last year and the same applies to the Financial Ombudsman.

We don't advise issuing a court claim as the costs risk outweighs the prospects.

Comment

ok thanks for the advice EXC and Tools

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X