• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Claimants' succeeding in round one of Bank Charges battle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claimants' succeeding in round one of Bank Charges battle

A number of claimants who have been facing having their previously stayed claims for a refund of unfair bank charges struck out by the court have succeeded in being allowed to amend their claims to include additional arguments which will put the onus of proof on the banks.

Claimants against Lloyds, HBOS, Nationwide, BOS and Yorkshire banks have been granted permission to enter their revised claims over the next few weeks. Some have already entered revised claims and recieved defences from the banks and are waiting for full hearings.

The Banks have been writing to the courts asking them to strike out any claims involving bank charges on the basis that their is no longer a claim following the Supreme Court's judgment in November 2009 that the OFT is unable to assess charges on the level of the charge under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (UTCCR)

However the Supreme Court judges strongly indicated that the door was still open to consumers to bring claims before the courts under a different regulation of the UTCCR. Consumer groups also feel there are arguments available under section 140 of the Consumer Credit Act, although these are more limited in scope.

Banks have acted quickly in asking courts to strike out claims and have been successful in hundreds of cases. However these cases are where the claimants have decided not to continue, or have no turned up to court hearings where the Judge was making a decision on the future of the case. Other claimants have succeeded in being allowed to continue - most of these have entered full witness statements explaining why the judgment doesn't rule out their claims and have attended hearings in the small claims court, often up against top solicitors and barristers.

Consumers who have claims in the courts should check the terms of the stay the court imposed on bank charges claims following the implementation of the FSA's waiver on complaints handling for bank charges complaint.

If they receive a letter from the court or the bank threatening to strike out the claim then, if they wish to continue, they should contact the court in writing with their reasons the banks applications should be denied and ask for permission to enter new particulars of claim to cover the new arguments. It is not an easy process, nor one that should be embarked upon lightly due to the risk of costs involved and the level of complexity involved in the new arguments. Claimants should ask for legal advice, or if they are happy to continue on their own, should ask for help from any of the consumer forums.

Cases we know of where the banks have been denied a strike out of bank charges claims:

Megansden v Lloyds - LegalBeagles
    ClaireH v Yorkshire Bank - PenaltyCharges
    a.n.other v Yorkshire Bank - MSE/PCF
    Sharp v Bank of Scotland - Govan Law Centre
    angrybankcustomer v HBOS - LegalBeagles
    Gaz v Yorkshire Bank - LB/CAG/PCF
    JPH v Nationwide - LegalBeagles

Will add to this list as more successes come through.

I must stress this is ONLY the FIRST step in continuing claims for bank charges. The greatest hurdle, having the arguments succeed in court, is still a long way off.

Our forum helping people who have claims in the courts system can be found Bank Charge Claims in Courts System - next steps - Legal Beagles - Please read as much information as you can and ensure you understand the issues, and the work involved in continuing, as well as the risks, before posting.
    Last edited by Amethyst; 20th February 2010, 16:54:PM.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Re: Claimants' succeeding in round one of Bank Charges battle

Still good to here people are still progressing, thanks Ame for posting these up.
    Luminol x

Comment

Thanks Ame for posting up and being frank about the process of continuing and judging by the offhandedness of Abbey's legal department yesterday when I phoned and just asked for the copy of the letter which they had told had been sent to the court and by the answers she gave I agree that they will fight now to the bitter end.

It seems to me that the OFT's interferance in the bringing of test case has helped the banks more tham the consumers imho.

Comment

This is a very helpful overview.

Just to clarify, ClaireH's hearing was a bulk one for 5/6 Yorkshire Bank claims. Only her and another chap attended and the permission to revise POC was granted to both, so effectively this is a double case at present.

Comment

Did we ever find out his username on MSE ? I wanted to put him on the list.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
            Did we ever find out his username on MSE ? I wanted to put him on the list.
            I'm not sure he did actually come through MSE as he also used Stephen's defence against strikeout.
            He is Raker99 at PCF and though he doesn't have an active thread I am in direct contact with him.

Comment

Hello all

I have received the standard letter from Barclays today telling me they will not be upholding my complaint and not refunding etc. I need advice on whether to continue, my instinct tells me continue, I had already been to court and my claim is stayed, no doubt I will receive a letter from the court also. I have lost momentum somewhat, and would have to go through my bundle to refresh my memory, my claim is for just over £1,000, so I have to consider with the possiblity of incurring more costs is is worth it ?

Comment

Does anyone know what Abbey is doing in respect of claims?

Comment

So far Abbey seem to be writing to customers telling them they have written to the court asking to dismiss claims but havent actually done it. lol.

Best to check weekly with the court if you receive one of those letters, otherwise just make sure you are aware of your stay notice end dates and,if carrying on, have prepared your personal (ie specific instances of unfairness) arguments.
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

Update

Alliance & Leicester - ChubbasDad - Legalbeagles - permission to amend POC's
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

Thats is very interesting indeed they are sending out letters to claimants to say they have requested a strike out of the claim as they won the test case etc etc but they have not actually done so.

Now I understand why when I phoned Abbey she was so reluctant to send me a copy of the actual letter sent to the court as there was probably not one sent and she had to make it up.

Can we read anything into any of this?

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                      So far Abbey seem to be writing to customers telling them they have written to the court asking to dismiss claims but havent actually done it. lol.

Best to check weekly with the court if you receive one of those letters, otherwise just make sure you are aware of your stay notice end dates and,if carrying on, have prepared your personal (ie specific instances of unfairness) arguments.

Comment

Abbey do seem to have actually written to courts now, but on a bulk, strike out ALL bank claims, basis. Bit dodgy on the CPR front that me thinks.

People just have to contact courts if they are concerned. Courts should contact people if their claim is struck out then people will be able to apply to amend and continue if they so desire.
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X