• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tonight: The One Show

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonight: The One Show

The BBC's The One Show are tonight running an item on hardship claimants and may be featuring a Legal Beagles member.

The One Show should be publishing details of tonight's show on their website shortly - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00nw1px

The programme starts at 7pm on BBC1.

Re: Tonight: The One Show

BBC - The One Show: Hard up? How to claim back bank charges

Hard up? How to claim back bank charges

Post categories: Consumer and lifestyle, Dom Littlewood, Download, Money
    The One Show Team | 15:42 UK time, Wednesday, 11 November 2009

As banks wait for the outcome of a legal test case to determine the fairness of overdraft
    charges, reclaiming bank charges is currently on hold for most people. However, if you can prove that you are in financial hardship, your bank should consider your claim now.
    Hardship is defined as being unable to meet priority financial commitments; these are things like utility bills, rent, council tax, and food. When contacting your bank, you should also highlight any change in lifestyle such as relationship breakdown, death of a partner or starting a lower paid job.
    How to claim back bank charges if you are in financial hardship

Write to the bank asking them for a list of charges, then write to them asking them to refund your charges now, rather than waiting until the end of the test case. Download our template letter.
    Each bank has different rules on how they look at hardship claims. Some may consider ALL bank charges (going back up to six years, the maximum time period allowed), but others will only look at charges within a specified period of 'hardship'.
    If you are in hardship and reclaiming your charges now, banks MUST NOT offer you a 'full and final settlement', as you may be entitled to claim more once the test case has been decided.
    Your bank has eight weeks to resolve your complaint. If you're unhappy with their response, contact the Financial Ombudsman Service who will look at your claim and decide whether the bank should award you some or all of your charges.

Useful links
    The Financial Ombudsman Service
    The Financial Services Authority
    Consumer campaign group Legal Beagles has more advice on this issue
    www.legalbeagles.info
    Have you attempted to claim back back charges because you're in financial difficulty? Share your hints, tips and stories here.
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

That was quite good. And actually worth missing 5 minutes of Women's Topless Darts on Dave Sports Extra +1 for.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
        That was quite good. And actually worth missing 5 minutes of Women's Topless Darts on Dave Sports Extra +1 for.
        Have taped it for you so will send you it round. Not sure what the score was though but she definitely won with double top

Comment

Very good and letter and LB link on The One Show site is excellent.

Well done everyone involved.

Comment

Quite a few posts on the BBC site today.

Tools maybe we need to answer some of these directly on the BBC site or pop up another LB link. What do you think?

Comment

Answer away, you will not be allowed to post external links, but you would be able to refer them to the link to us that the BBC posted in their " useful links".

Post 3? Last night pointed people to a CMC so I asked for it to be removed.

I am just about to take a look now.
              Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Budgie View Post
                Well done everyone involved.
                Yes and well done to the claimant featured in the piece who I thought came over very well.

Comment

I have posted over on the blog.

Hopefully we can all help some more people in genuine need.

• 16. At 6:03pm on 12 Nov 2009, legalbeaglesdotinfo wrote: All of the above stories are typical examples of what we see every day on LegalBeagles. Register on our free site and you will receive some excellent help and advice. Please refer to the LegalBeagles link on The One Show's story page. The use of the site and all help is completely free, I would not recommend anyone uses a fee paying claims management company as you will not get very far. As Dom has explained there is a set process that must be followed, more can be read in our Guide to Reclaiming Charges whilst in Hardship. We also offer help and advice with all other aspects to deal with debt, credit card charges, Debt Collectors bailiffs etc. Look forward to seeing some of you posting, give a brief outline of your circumstances in the Welcome Forum

Comment

I also emailed one of the researchers for the program to say thanks to them for airing the program. Having now watched it there were some things I would have liked doing better but I thought the program was better than I thought. Slap that man on the use of the words "penalty charges"

Comment

>EXC - post #3

You shouldn't watch such things; you'll go blind!

(tip................:tinysmile_twink_t2:,,,,,,,,,, risk one eye!!)

cnjw
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                      gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

legalbeaglesdotinfo This link leads to a blank page?

I will also start to work in next week or so on the producers of Live on Five to do a piece on Claims Management Companies as Ian Wright who is one of the presenters is a client at work. As we all know it is not down to the actual presenters and if it were I could speak to him directly so I will talk to my boss nicely to give me the name of the person who we should contact.
                        Last edited by TUTTSI; 13th November 2009, 08:32:AM.

Comment

shoul it be legalbeagles.info not legalbeaglesdotinfo ?
                          Is no longer here

Comment

Originally posted by TUTTSI View Post
                            legalbeaglesdotinfo This link leads to a blank page?
                            That isnt meant to link to Beagles, that is just the username I registered with as they do not allow links in usernames.

Comment

Many thanks also to charity for the recommendation.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X