• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rankine screwed !! :D More trouble for CMCs - debt buyers threatened with prosecution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rankine screwed !! :D More trouble for CMCs - debt buyers threatened with prosecution

Alert on misleading debt adverts

"Selling" a debt may not remove liability for repaying it

Borrowers have been warned to ignore misleading adverts which suggest people can get rid of their debts or loans simply by selling them.
    The Office of Fair Trading (OFT) says there has been a surge in these adverts from debt and claims management companies.
    But it says debts cannot legally be sold without a lender's permission.
    Some companies offering this "service" are now going to be prosecuted or closed down.
    "You cannot simply sell on your debt and its liabilities, and businesses that make misleading claims to the contrary are just trying to take advantage of consumers' distress," said Ray Watson, the OFT's director of credit.
    "The OFT will not hesitate to take swift action against businesses which deliberately mislead consumers," he added.
    'Brokers'
    The OFT said the sort of firms it was concerned about typically charged their victims a £350 "administration fee" and a further 10% to 20% of the debt as a "transfer fee".
    It said so-called "brokers", who matched clients to debt or claims management companies, with a view to selling or buying their loans, were also misleading their customers.
    It pointed out that even if a "sale" takes place, the original borrower will still be legally responsible for repaying the loan, as well as losing any money they may have paid as part of the deal.
    Borrowers can also still be chased by debt collection agencies and bailiffs, and have their credit scores damaged, the OFT warned.
    This is just the latest spate of misleading adverts being made by debt and claims management companies trying to cash in on peoples' worries about their debts.
    In the past few months the OFT, Ministry of Justice and Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) have all warned firms not to make misleading claims suggesting that credit card and bank debts, agreed before April 2007, may be challenged because of a supposed loop-hole in the law.
    Last week a claims management website called Loan-Free was told by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) not to repeat such adverts.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Re: Rankine screwed !! More trouble for CMCs - debt buyers threatened with prosecu

CMR: Claims Management Regulation

Business Details

Business Name:Momentum Network Ltd

Address:2nd Floor, Baskerville HoueCentenary Square, Birmingham
    Town/City:
    County: West Midlands
    Postcode:B1 2ND
    Trading Names:The Cardfather, The Rankines, Credit Card Killer
    Sector:Financial products/services,
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Re: Rankine screwed !! More trouble for CMCs - debt buyers threatened with prosecu

Such sad sad news.......wonder when they will reappear

Comment

They say good things happen in threes, lets hope Cartel and Cento are next.
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

ROFLMAO.

Now isn't that a shame

Comment

so what happens to the people who have ''sold'' their debts to him ?
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

He is cooking dinner for her tonight, I have been lead to believe.

Comment

Back to square one, with a whole bunch of action for repayment of unlawful fees

Maybe we should knock up a POC for them...

Comment

TV couple's Credit Card Killer debt-buying offer - Rankine | This is Money

Credit Card Killer has 'thousands' of clients, according to Basil. However, he admitted up to half of these are still being pursued by their lenders: 'Yes, they have frozen accounts, debt collectors phoning, banks who have taken money out of other accounts. About half of the lenders are still pursing customers for their debts; about half are still getting letters about their debt.'
                  People who 'sell' their debt will still 'be liable for their original repayment obligations', suffer a black mark on their credit file for unpaid debts and will continue to be pursued by debt collectors, according to the OFT.
                  It is impossible to tell how much the company has made from its 'thousands' of customers, as the due date for the latest accounts of Momentum Ltd, Credit Card Killer's parent company, has yet to arrive.
                  Last edited by Amethyst; 9th July 2009, 20:22:PM.
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

hmm, there will be more to come on this , i can assure as i have some involvement in the issues surrounding this issue as CB knows and can probably vouch

cant say much more as i understand that criminal proceedings are being undertaken by the regulatory bodies
                    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

In the words of Jonathon Crow QC ''I am lost in admiration''.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
                        hmm, there will be more to come on this , i can assure as i have some involvement in the issues surrounding this issue as CB knows and can probably vouch

cant say much more as i understand that criminal proceedings are being undertaken by the regulatory bodies
                        Indeed, we were led to believe there were other irons in the fire by the regulators some time ago, just waiting for it all to be released officially so as not to prejudice the ongoing proceedings.
                        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

The OFT will not hesitate to take swift action against businesses which deliberately mislead consumers," he added.

Absolute trash! A budgie has more teeth than these excuses for a regulator.

One CMC in Blackpool has been reported over 50 times for misleading adverts. OK the MOJ has asked them to take them down or change them, but there are still around 30 out there from agents of this company that still do not comply.

Why has the MOJ not shut them down? 50 TIMES???

Is it becasue they still want their fees ? Is this protecting the consumer??

Comment

Which CMC is that Yoda? (pm me if you like)

Also possibly look at reporting to the ASA

Advertising Standards Authority
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

For information - http://www.tribunals.gov.uk/finance/...ntumOliver.pdf

Appeal of cancellation of authorisation by CMR MOJ.
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X