• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.

Executor and Beneficiary

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Executor and Beneficiary

    I am an executor and beneficiary of my late mother's will together with my brother and sister. My brother will not let me have my share because I'm a recovering alcoholic and he doesn't trust me. Is this legal and should I consult a solicitor?
    Tags: None

  • #2
    Re: Executor and Beneficiary

    Hi Candi123,

    Sorry things are apparently not getting sorted for you. If your mother left you a share then you are entitled to it, unless it has been left in a trust under the Will, for example. If the legacy was a straight split of her estate between you all then he has no right to withhold the legacy.

    It is irrelevant what your history is in those circumstances and up to you what you do with your legacy.

    Have you written to him, pointing out that he is breaching his executor duties to distribute the estate? That may be the first step?
    I am a qualified solicitor employed by the LegalBeagles forum to provide guidance on a wide range of legal queries. I am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

    Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

    If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.



    See more
    See less

    upgrade to vip

    Want exclusive access to forums, more privacy and a live chat box? Upgrade to become a bigger part of our community.

    only £15/yr

    Offers available. No subscription traps.

    sign up now

    Resolver is a free automated complaints system that can help with all kinds of consumer complaints - including missold PPI and Package Bank Accounts.

    make a complaint

    Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

    Find a Law Firm