• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.

Credit Card Debt after Death

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit Card Debt after Death

My mother has just passed away in traumatic circumstances. I am her executor etc. There is a credit card debt - Post Office. I have notified them of the situation and just received a letter advising that correspondence has been passed to probate services - what is the procedure in such a situation? Does the debt get frozen or is it still attracting interest and could I offer to settle say 75% of it with a one off final payment ?
    Tags: None

Re: Credit Card Debt after Death

Sorry to hear of your loss. It's horrible having to focus on money at a time like this.

Is she leaving any assets? Is there enough money for the funeral?

Comment

Re: Credit Card Debt after Death

Hi 100mel,
      Sorry to hear of your loss. Have the funeral arrangements been dealt with yet? If not, I would take a breath and deal with that first.
      In the meantime to confirm, it is usual for the credit card co. to stop any accruing interest. In short the estate is responsible for settling any outstanding debts. Provided there is sufficient money to do so. If there is not then there is a strict order of priority for dealing with debts of an estate. We won't go into this currently unless this is the situation for you.
      Pop back if you have any further queries.
      I am a qualified solicitor employed by the LegalBeagles forum to provide guidance on a wide range of legal queries. I am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      See more
      See less

upgrade to vip

Want exclusive access to forums, more privacy and a live chat box? Upgrade to become a bigger part of our community.

only £15/yr

Offers available. No subscription traps.

Resolver is a free automated complaints system that can help with all kinds of consumer complaints - including missold PPI and Package Bank Accounts.

make a complaint

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X