• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Pension investment and death.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pension investment and death.

Hi To All,

A friend of mine passed away last October,we thought he had very little money he had just over £1000.00 pounds in a bank account he stayed in a flat i owned.I got in touch with his family through the Police and the Police told me that his family had disowned him and wanted nothing to do with him, ( A bit hard i thought ) the money that was in his bank account went towards his funeral and i paid the balance,i arranged to have the flat cleared out and went through his paper work to see if he had left a will or anything ( Nothing ).

Some small debts he had with catalogue companies started to arrive in the post and i sent copies of the death certificate to them and informed them he had no money.

Yesterday a letter arrived for him from a pension company whom it turns out he had invested money with them £16,383.87 value as of 06/02/2014 £20,738.40.

It turns out that this company writes to him once a year to inform him how his fund is doing .

When i went through his paper work i found no evidence of this company or any evidence of a pension investment.

Anybody any idea what to do now should i apply for probate,or just ignore the letter.:beagle:
    Tags: None

Re: Pension investment and death.

You cannot ignore this letter.

Did you apply for Letters of Administration in order that you might wind up his estate? As he died intestate, you must do this prior to applying for probate and distributing the estate.

You must inform his next of kin about the money (I would suggest that you do so only after you have been appointed executor, unless you want a war on your hands). His debts should be settled first, with any residue then going to kin.

You will probably find that they will suddenly be only too keen to get involved.

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
      You cannot ignore this letter.

Did you apply for Letters of Administration in order that you might wind up his estate? As he died intestate, you must do this prior to applying for probate and distributing the estate.

You must inform his next of kin about the money (I would suggest that you do so only after you have been appointed executor, unless you want a war on your hands). His debts should be settled first, with any residue then going to kin.

You will probably find that they will suddenly be only too keen to get involved.
      When i said ignore the letter i think i should have said return to sender with a copy of the death certificate.

I don't want to apply for anything really i have enough problems dealing with an Estate already.

I don't know where his next of kin stay,it was the Police that got in touch with them via the hospital.

Comment

Originally posted by Streetwise View Post
        When i said ignore the letter i think i should have said return to sender with a copy of the death certificate. I don't want to apply for anything really i have enough problems dealing with an Estate already.
        You have already been dealing with the estate - technically, unlawfully.

If you want to back out, do so and quickly. Ask the police to contact the next of kin and advise them that there is a large sum of money. There's a good chance that they will then prove to be only too keen to get involved.

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
          You have already been dealing with the estate - technically, unlawfully.

If you want to back out, do so and quickly. Ask the police to contact the next of kin and advise them that there is a large sum of money. There's a good chance that they will then prove to be only too keen to get involved.
          Sound advice i think i'll take it, TA.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X