• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Care home payment and legal status of assets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Care home payment and legal status of assets

Hi

I am looking for some advice for my mother, relating to payment for my grandmother being in a care home and how the council view my grandmothers assets. The difficulty being that my grandmother doesn't have any property in her name. It is probably easiest if I give a timeline of events first:

1998 Grandfather died, and left 50% of his home to my mother, whilst the other 50% remained with my grandmother (who continued living at the property). Both names were on the title deeds. The property was owned outright, no mortgage.

2008 My grandmother signed over her share of the property to my mother, so my mother became the sole name on the property title (I presume this was classed as a gift??). My mother then paid a deposit on a flat (warden assisted) for my grandmother, and my mother has paid the mortgage on this flat ever since. The flat was (and still is) in my mothers name, so no property at all was in my grandmothers name - this was in no way to avoid tax or potential care home costs (the possibility of a care home didn't even cross anyone's minds), it was just a sensible solution to my mother needing somewhere to live (following a divorce), and my gran needing some assistance and a smaller place.

2017 My grandmother (who has now had dementia for several years) has had to be moved into a care home. The flat is currently up for sale (still with a mortgage being paid by my mother). My mother continues to live in my grandparents old property with no mortgage. My mother is the only name on both property deeds, so the legal owner of both properties. To make matters more difficult my mother never sorted power of attorney out for my grandmother, although she has very recently been given deputyship.

The local council have come to the decision that my grandmother has assets, therefore they are charging my grandmother (via my mother) the full cost of the care home. I have no idea what assumption they are making on the value of her 'assets'. She has less than £23,250 in physical savings.

What I am wondering is what is the legal basis that the council are stating my grandmother has assets? Are they allowed to treat the flat or the original property as her asset even though it is not in her name? There are a few scenarios I can think of:

1. All property is in my mothers name and have been for 10 years, therefore my grandmother legally has no assets. Given she has less than £23k savings then the council should be paying for her care home fees.
    2. The flat is considered my grandmothers asset (regardless of it not being in her name), therefore whatever comes from the sale of the property (once the mortgage is paid off) would have to pay the full care costs, until her savings drop to the £23k threshold
    3. 50% of the original property is still considered my grandmothers asset (regardless of not having lived there for 10 years and signing it over to my mother), in which case 50% of the value (at todays prices?) is considered her asset and should be used to pay for care.

Obviously the 3rd option is quite worrying, as this would potentially mean my mother having to see the house and find somewhere cheaper to live so that she can access 50% of the value to pay for care.

Any advice/thoughts welcome

Tags: None

Hi and welcome
    Firstly, where are you England/Scotland/Wales?N.Ireland ?
    The rules vary according to where you live.
    There is entitlement to Local Authority funding towards care fees if the client has capital of less than £23,250, with full funding at the Local Authority rate being available if the capital is £14,250 or less.
    Deprivation of assets is deemed to have taken place when an asset such as a house is disposed of with the intention of avoiding care fees
    The council has to demonstrate the intention, whereas you would need to show there was no such intention.
    A difficult hurdle to overcome, but showing there was no immediate need for care, or likelihood for care in the future, that the donor was fit and healthy at the time of disposing of the house will assist. It is a subjective test which is to be applied ( Beeson v Dorset County Council [2002] HRHR 15).
    Also the value of the asset is what it would fetch on the open market. This asset is a 50% share of a property. What would that 50% obtain if put up for sale with the current owner having not only the other 50% ownership, but also a beneficial interest in the other 50%

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply.

This is in England, specifically Dorset.

I did have a read up on deprivation of assets. It is a shame it is not a bit more black and white rather than subjective, simply because the fact is it was absolutely not done as a way to deprive assets. What I think would count against as in the assessment is that after signing over the property, she moved into a warden assisted flat (due to having had a few falls and not very good mobility) and the local authority could use that as a reason. However, in our favour she was not diagnosed with dementia (the reason she is in the home) until afterwards.

A couple of other questions: can the decision the LA make be challenged in a court?

Assuming 50% of the original property is deemed to be her asset, where does that leave my mother who is living there? Would she have to sell up in order to release the equity? I'm sure I read somewhere that if the person living there is disabled or over 60 then they can't be forced to move?

Comment

If the LA decide deprivation of assets has occurred they will seek reimbursement of care fees from the beneficiary of that gift.

If they pursue a claim you would have to challenge the decision and would have the burden of proving their reasoning or decision was so unreasonable or irrational that no reasonable person acting reasonably could have made it (known as Wednesbury unreasonable Associated Provincial Picture Houses Ltd v Wednesbury Corporation [1948] 1 KB233). This process can be lengthy and involve going through the Local Authority's complaints procedure, Ombudsman procedures and ultimately court proceedings.
        It could be very stressful and very expensive.

When they value an asset, they must value it at the price it would reach on the open market.
        now her disposed of asset was 50% of a house.
        You need to ask how much would a 50% share of a house be if the owner of the other 50% lived in the house and could not be evicted?
        That is what the LA would need to base their calculations on

If they came to pursuing your mother the most likely outcome in the event your mother was forced to pay the fees would IMO be a charge on the property.
        That is only my opinion!

If necessary could your mother not sell the sheltered accommodation flat?

Comment

The LA are already billing my mother/grandmother for full payment, she has attempted to put a second charge on the flat but for some reason the mortgage provider (Santander) have refused.

My mother is in the process of selling the flat, however once the outstanding mortgage has been settled the money she is left with would not come anywhere near the 50% value of the original property.

Comment

Do research the complaints procedure for the council

Have the council given a written notice of their financial assessment, including how that decision was reached?

If so has there been a request that it be reviewed?

If so you can then ask for an independent review

You can then submit to the Local Government Ombudsman (https://www.lgo.org.uk/make-a-complaint)

If still unhappy, refuse to pay and defend the action when they take it to court

The LA could put a charge on your mother's house if they consider that part of the assets of your grandmother

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X