• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Inheritance tax on money/properties overseas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inheritance tax on money/properties overseas

hello all. Haven't got all details yet but just trying to prepare ourselves. I live in the UK.
    our father passed away this week and my brother and I flew out to the West Indies to sort out his affairs and arrange the funeral etc.
    He has a will which leaves his property land and cash to us equally.

We we do not have any values as yet but wondered what charges here in the UK we will be facing.
    Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

The West Indies comprises of a number of countries.
    Could you be more specific?
    Where was your father domiciled, in the country he left his property or elsewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      The West Indies comprises of a number of countries.
      Could you be more specific?
      Where was your father domiciled, in the country he left his property or elsewhere?
      Of course. He was living in the island of Dominica which is where the property is.

Comment

my understanding is:
        a)There are no inheritance, estate, or gift taxes in Dominica.

b)The i UK tax implications depend on what form the inheritance takes. If you receive a specific legacy, such as a lump sum of cash or other assets, then as a UK resident you have no obligation to report the inheritance to HM Revenue & Customs as there is no additional UK tax due. If, however, you are sharing in the residue — or leftover assets — of the estate if some of that might be in income you might need to file a tax return and there may be a tax liability to meet.

PS I'm not a tax expert!

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
          my understanding is:
          a)There are no inheritance, estate, or gift taxes in Dominica.

b)The i UK tax implications depend on what form the inheritance takes. If you receive a specific legacy, such as a lump sum of cash or other assets, then as a UK resident you have no obligation to report the inheritance to HM Revenue & Customs as there is no additional UK tax due. If, however, you are sharing in the residue — or leftover assets — of the estate if some of that might be in income you might need to file a tax return and there may be a tax liability to meet.s

PS I'm not a tax expert!
          Thanks Des8 for your quick reply. I believe that it's mainly rental income, sale of land and savings and bank accounts. He was also getting income from private pensions as well as a uk pension. I'll have to inform gov.uk of his death once I get the death certificate.
          Once I have more concrete information I'll come back and ask advice but do you think I'll need to seek the services of a uk tax expert?

Comment

It might be well worthwhile

Presumably you are domiciled in UK , and so depending on the size of the inheritance you should begin to consider the implications of Inheritance Tax on your own estate.
            There is also Capital gains tax and possible tax on future income from investments.
            The tax consequences depend on your personal circumstances,the size of the legacy and what you do with the funds.
            Fora such as this, whilst they may give pointers, are not a substitute for professional face to face advice

Comment

We are domicile dim the UK. Many thanks for this

Comment

My son (18 years old) was caught changing a price label on an item in TKMAXX, we are not talking a huge amount, he only had £10 on him and the item he wanted was £10.50 so he swapped it from a similar item which was £9.99. He got caught, they got the item back it did not cost them a penny. I understand they have security to pay for but this is to stop people walking out the door with expensive items. Since we have been bombarded with letters from RLP which we have ignored having seen reports on your site. We have now received a letter from Capital Resolve requesting £112.50 it was previously £150.00, should we continue to ignore the letters. This is all new to us, our instincts are to pay as we are concerned it will have an effect on his credit rating, but this feels like extortion for the sake of 51p. Your feedback would be very much appreciated.

Comment

Pomsky24 Why did you decide to drop this in another thread? Please start your own and don't disturb some on elses thread. Have you read any other threads about RLP and their ilk?

Comment

Agree with ostell but wondering if you confused yourself with your other posting.
                    However just keep ignoring, they cannot impinge any credit rating, and they're so confident of winning they will offer a discount!!
                    More desperation of "please pay us something" type or we will .... what??

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X