• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Comparison Site Difficulties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparison Site Difficulties

Hello,

I've been having some problems with a insurance site who I took a policy out with during my time at university. They have been bombarding my mobile 7 or 8 times a day with calls about extending my policy and special offers. I have asked several times for my details to be removed but they say its for legal purposes that they keep them.

Firstly, is it the case that they have to keep my details?

Also is there a independent organisation I can contact to help with this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
    OH and also they are ringing at unsociable hours i.e after 2100
    Last edited by chris2289; 9th July 2008, 08:19:AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Re: Comparison Site Difficulties

Hi Chris and welcome to the site.

We have template letters here for most things, if not just ask as you have.

You can send them this letter for starters
    Legal Beagles

You could also register your number with the TPS Registration , I have used this for my landline and am quite sure the same will apply for mobiles.

Any other help needed, just shout.
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

It's fair enough for any company you have done business with to retain your details, for policy administration.

But it's not acceptable to use them for marketing purposes, if you have told them not to do so.

It would be worth checking whether the company involved is a member of the Direct Marketing Association and complaining to them if appropriate. They have a code of practice and a complaints mechanism. www.dma.org.uk.

Comment

In writing, recorded delivery:

Your Address

Date

Policy No

Dear Sir or Madam

FORMAL LEGAL NOTICE UNDER THE DATA PROTECTION ACT 1998
        FORMAL LEGAL NOTICE UNDER THE PROTECTION FROM HARASSMENT ACT 1997.
        WARNING: IGNORING THIS LETTER MAY RESULT IN A COMPLAINT TO THE POLICE

In accordance with my rights under the Data protection Act 1998 s11 I request that you cease and desist processing my data for purposes of direct marketing with effect from 7 days after you recieve this notice.

I note that you are calling me on a regular basis for the purpose of direct marketing, as often as 7 times a day, and at unsociable hours. I believe this amounts to harassment, and will, if it continues complain to the police under the protection from harassment act 1997.

I also wish to raise this issue as a formal complaint under your complaints procedure, and request you send me details of how you will deal with this complaint and guidance as to how to complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Yours Sincerly,

XXX.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X