• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

S 40 Administration of Justice Act

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S 40 Administration of Justice Act

Did you know that this has been repealled???

Well according to a missive I have from the upstanding Cabot Farcical. They told me that over 60 calls from their threat centre were not harassment and anyway S40 did not apply any more as it had been repealled. So if Cabot say it it must be true!!!!!

Re: S 40 Administration of Justice Act

Can't say I have seen any note of s 40 being repealed

for info

S.40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 provides that a person in England and Wales commits an offence if, with the object of coercing another person to pay money claimed from the other as a debt due under contract, he –

(a) harasses the other with demands for payment which by their frequency, or the manner or occasion of their making, or any accompanying threat or publicity are calculated to subject him or his family or household to alarm, distress, or humiliation;

(b) falsely represents, in relation to the money claimed, that criminal proceedings lie for failure to pay it;

(c) falsely represents himself to be authorised in some official capacity to claim or enforce payment;

(d) utters a document falsely represented by him to have some official character or purporting to have some official character which he knows it has not.

S.40(3) provides that paragraph (a) above does not apply to anything done by a person which is reasonable (and otherwise permissible in law) for the purpose –

(1) of securing the discharge of an obligation due, or believed by him to be due, to himself or to persons for whom he acts, or protecting himself or them from future loss; or

(2) of the enforcement of any liability by legal process.
    It is also provided that a person may be guilty of an offence under paragraph (a) above if he concerts with others in the taking of such action as is described in that paragraph, notwithstanding that his own course of conduct does not by itself amount to harassment.
    S.40(3A) provides that paragraphs (a) to (d) do not apply where what is done is a “commercial practice” .

A “commercial practice” is any act, omission, course of conduct, representation or commercial communication (including advertising and marketing) by a trader, which is directly connected with the promotion, sale or supply of a product to consumers, whether occurring before, during or after a commercial transaction (if any) in relation to a product (Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008, Reg. 2). If however a commercial practice is unfair, it will be prohibited under the 2008 Regulations. As to what amounts to an unfair commercial practice.

The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 No.
    Debt Factsheets - Harassment of people in debt by creditors
    Last edited by Amethyst; 21st July 2008, 10:56:AM. Reason: adding factsheet link
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Lol of course it does, and I bet they failed to mention exactly what has repealed this

Any chance of a scan ??

Comment

Hope this is big enough
        Last edited by ODC; 21st July 2008, 11:12:AM. Reason: oops left ref number in silly me

Comment

I like the "we reserve the right to reinstate telephone communication".
          So that'll be the right that the repeal of s40 brings then will it

I do note that there is no mention of court enforcement, I wonder why.

Another perhaps

Comment

these people sound about as clued up as Robinson Way and Co!

Comment

Lol, nope Cabot are worse than RW&c, if that's at all possible.

Comment

Here we go

Comment

I haven't has the pleasure of crossing swords with these beings yet (although at the rate I am going it's odds on I will do). Do they seriously think that they can simply type up a letter, sling in a few long "legal" sounding words and we just swallow it? Idiots!

Comment

They obviously think everyone is as stupid as they allegedly are, They really bring stupidity and crass incompetence to a new level.

This statement by them must rate on a par with the infamous ''Valid even if not read by you''

Comment

I love it when Robinson Way get to the "Where have we gone wrong" letter stage D'uh!

Comment

Well that's 2 DCA's I have yet to cross swords with.
                        I must admit I can't wait to RoShmBo them personally

Comment

In spite of their threats they have NOT resumed with their telephone threat calls. This is probably due to the fact that I informed them that ALL calls were recorded.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X