• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Supanet 'debt'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supanet 'debt'

I used to use Supanet for internet only up until the end of 2014. I terminated their service (out of contract) and moved to another supplier for broadband and phone.

About 3 months ago a company, QuickCollect, started contacting me trying to recover the value of the unpaid service since my cancellation, claiming I had never cancelled their service. Their return address is the same as Supanet and they have full access to all my information from that time, having contacted me on my mobile and landline and by post, have forwarded my expired contract and know when I stopped paying.

My position is that I cancelled their services by phone, agreeing to make an additional payment to cover their 30 days notice condition. (I in fact paid them twice after commencing with my new provider) I also posted back their router to avoid having to purchase it.

QuickCollect (Dox2you on the letter footer though Quickdox also pops up online and all companies have directorial cross pollination) claim I didn't cancel so am liable to pay a significant sum unless I can prove otherwise.

Am I realistically meant to be able to prove otherwise? This was over 3 years ago and while I remember some details I don't have 'proof' that I can send them.

Additionally, given Supanet's history with contractual silliness, not so much with me but well covered online, should I consider this a try-on and discontinue dealing with them. The threats and offers to negotiate a reduced payment were heavy from the beginning. Letters have no return address and are rudimentary and the whole thing smells like a fraudulent scam except that it seems to be coming from Supanet themselves so I have to give it some gravity.

Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.
    Tags: None

Send a subject access request to supanet, for all documents they have regarding your former contract and payment history. There is a template on this site.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

Comment

I agree with Setmefree.

cast your mind back, did you obtain a MAC code? This an be confirmed or denied by your new provider (although don't expect them to know what it was please, they will just know if they got one).

If you had a MAC code, you gave notice to Supanet. Only an active internet provider can provide a MAC code and several won't give you it until you agree to their notice period! Once the MAC is active, the new provider can take over the supply until you request a new one!

Also, having obtained a MAC code,Supanet would be approached by your new provider to release all control of your line.

Also.. if you ask your bank REALLY nicely, they can provide proof that this bill was paid. SAR them for the date of the supposed bill and ask for written proof of payment from your bank.

That and a nice reminder to Supanet that OFCOM look very harshly on providers that double charge and that under OFCOM guidelines they must be transparent and clear in identifying themselves and all charges and correspondence may encourage a little.. courtesty from Supanet.

Whatever you do DON'T mention that you happen to know that OFCOM can also remove a provider's licence for repeated bad service and repeated breaches of OFCOM's operational agreement and guidelines (think when nPower got threatened by OFGEM- same thing). They REALLY won't like the fact that you know that... and we wouldn't want to upset them... would we?!?!?!?

Callie
      PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

Thank you both, I appreciate this advice.

A few quick answers and more detail:

I thought I obtained a MAC code but Supanet refute that as they claim to have to paper trail for it, I will have to ask BT as you suggest.

They also claim not to have received a phone call from either of my phone numbers at the time I cancelled which I don't see is adequate evidence that I didn't cancel their service: I know very well that I spoke to them on the phone at least once if not twice, I remember their operator not wanting to accept cancellation and trying to sell the service to me again.

You mention asking my bank for proof of payment; I have historic statements that show all my payments to Supanet by d/d, ending at least 2 months after I moved provider and gave them notice. As far as I am concerned I don't owe them more, they are asking for backdated payments from earlier this year to the beginning of 2015.

During the time from January 2015 until now I received absolutely no contact from Supanet, including by email to the address they provided for me, either requesting that I pay them or telling me that I had lost my service due to non payment (their own contract states that they will take non payment as a notice of cancellation.) QuickCollect's original contact with me said that due to an oversight Supanet had not noticed that I had not paid them for over 3 years and they wanted to settle the account.

I will send Supanet, not QuickCollect a subject access request as suggested, also asking for records of contact with me as they allege to be able to interrogate their phone records.

Comment

questions to be asking
          If no MAC was provided, how did your new provider take over the supply?
          If you didn't cancel the line, how is that now with a new provider?
          Why were no bills provided? I can understand a month or two but three years?? The simple answer my love it... IT WASN'T OWED!
          Reminding them that keeping accurate and up to date records (especially of financial records) is a core principle of GDPR, and that a company that breach it can face an unlimited fine and closure whilst individuals face an unlimited fine and up to 12 years in prison, can help speed things up too!
          PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X