• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

E-On - Gas bill query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-On - Gas bill query

I live in a rented house. There is no Gas. There is a Prepayment Gas Meter installed but the Gas is cut off directly on entry to the house. (theres a pipe pokes through the wall and it is capped).

The meter readings confirm this - 21st December confirmed reading 1940, 13th Feb confirmed reading 1940, 12th June confirmed reading 1940.

Get the idea ? lol.

Anyway - I have a bill today for £24.42.

This is made up of standing charges of 14.61p per day.

Questions.

1) are they entitled to do that as no gas is used whatsoever.

2) if they are am I liable, or is the landlord liable.

(tbh i wish i did have gas cause heating would be a lot cheaper)

Re: E-On - Gas bill query

I am not an expert on utilities by any means but was the gas cut off before you moved into the property? If so and you moved into a house on the understanding that it was electric only, then I would say you need to contact your landlord or estate agent and get him/them to check out this bill. If the gas had previously been cut off due to the landlord or previous tennant not paying the bill then that the landlords problem and not yours I would say. The standing charge is prob for the meter.

Whats the name on the bill?

Comment

I have recently taken over a council property which had a prepayment meter, it is also with E-On. I have not moved in yet so have used no electric there is still a standing charge of 30 odd pence per day, this they charge for rental of the meter.
      If there is a gas supply to your property I would enquire why you can not have gas appliances It may just be the previous tenant was cut off.
      If you can not have gas at all I would write to E-On and ask them to remove the meter that is of no use to you, then you can't be charged rent for it. Enaid x

Comment

Thank you - I'll have a word with landlord re getting it cut off to meter and see if he will pay this standing charge bill.

Comment

I had a similar problem when i moved into new accomodation with overlapping bills. I'm not sure if this will directly apply but i forwarded them the bill and the copy of my contract to confirm a start date. that way they could and forward the bill to the landlord.

Comment

Ok...

Firstly, E-ON pay the standing charge to national grid transco. Standing charge covers any maintenance for the meter etc. I can't understand how the meter can be capped off yet still there... Normally when a supply is capped, they remove the meter... While ever there is a meter there you will be charged standing charge, however, I know there is a tariff available that can be used in circumstances like these.

Secondly - E.ON wont removed the meter without written consent from your landlord, as this is a chargable job to reinstall if you decide to start using gas again...

You need to call E.ON and explain the situation to them, due to DPA they wont be able to tell you if the meter was capped because of non payment by the previous customer... Might be worthwhile as others have said contacting your landlord and asking for it to be removed... if he is ok, he will probably agree.

Loulou
            Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
            For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
            And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

Comment

According to the landlord the meter was capped by Eon rather than removal by their choice and a standing charge has never been paid previously.

I have passed the matter onto the landlord to deal with anyway
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Eon ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHGHHHHHHHHHHHH

I probably have a thread will find and merge in a bit

Just opened my post from yesterday (I know I know)

I have a GAS BILL

A PREPAYMENT METER GAS BILL

Meter read by me - 1940 - 12 June

Yep thats right - thats when I complained to you for billing me because I DON'T HAVE GAS - I have a meter yes but the GAS is cut off at the point of entry.

NO ONE HAS BEEN TO MY HOUSE - they would have to come in so I think I would notice.

READ BY US 7th August - 1998 (units not the year lol)

Well I have just looked at it and yep its still at 1940 as it has been since oooo 2006 or so.

You owe us £88.70

Well for starters - errr no I don't have any gas....for seconds if it was prepayment it wouldnt work if there was no payment in it so how possibly could I have built up a £88 bill.

Me thinks some lazy arse meter reader has knocked and I've not been in and he's made up the figures rather than writing a 'called will come back later' card.

Which is stupid anyway considering I dont have gas.

Will call them monday and have the SAME argument I have had a million times.

Feel better now
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

This one will be intersting me thinks

Comment

lol not really just off phone and yep they agree its wrong and sending me a new bill out with a zero balance. Landlord still has to pay standing charge but he can deal with that bit.
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

Too easy pmsl

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X