• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Spark energy ccj

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark energy ccj

Hello. I am wondering if anybody has any advice on the following.
    I lived in a shared house whilst at university back in 2012. A couple of months after moving out I emailed spark to let them know that we had moved out and provided them with a final meter reading on us leaving the property. It was not until about 14-15 months after this that I received notification that outstanding bills were now due for payment.
    Today I received an email from bw legal stating that they were potentially going to issue a ccj if full payment was not received within 14 days. They also requested my personal details such as address dob etc. I believe that because spark did not issue a final bill within 12 months that I am not liable to pay? Because I provided final meter readings. The final bill was over £900 which seems incredibly high seen as a dd was being used and the house was only occupied for 7 months.
    Should I reply to spark or bw legal stating this?
    Any advice?
    Thanks in advance
    Tags: None

Re: Spark energy ccj

Hi Welcome to LB,

One point jumps straight out of your post, " A couple of months after moving out I e-mailed etc., and provided final readings" which after 2 months not likely to be accurate unless the supply (s) were cut off when you left the address and have not be restored.
    My guess is new tenants could have moved in and carried on using the supply in your name.

nem

Comment

Re: Spark energy ccj

Assuming you did give the supplier a meter reading and a contact address for them to send a final account, and they did not send you the bill until over 12 months later,
      Then that bill should not have been sent.
      Under the back billing code you should not be billed for energy used over 12 months previously, if the delay in billing was caused by the supplier.
      Here's the code: http://www.energy-uk.org.uk/publicat...wnload&id=4991

If the supplier claims the code doesn't apply to them, use their complaints procedure, reminding them that in 2007 (I think) Ofgem directed all domestic energy suppliers tostop back-billing customers for energy used morethan 12 months ago, if the supplier was at fault fornot having sent a bill to the customer’.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X