• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

EDF ignoring requests for information

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EDF ignoring requests for information

Hi,
    With have lived in our current home for nearly four years our gas and electric unit usage has always been constantly the same over the last four years.Then last year EDF told us we were in arrears by over £900 this was for usage from March 2013 to August 2013 and that was after paying £456 to them which is over what our usage is for the summer months. In the summer our electric unit consumption is roughly the same as the winter months.Our gas is far lower at approx £12pcm we pay £36pcm for gas so we build up credit in the summer months.

When I checked the meters the electric one was completely blank no error codes just blank. I called EDF and explained the electric meter was faulty and we could not possible have used the amount of units they said we had.They replaced the meter and asked for readings from the new meter for a month which eventually was two months of readings.We were in arrears to the sum of £399 from a previous address but that amount had never changed over the last four years so we had only been paying for the units we were using.

EDF sent a new bill of £350 I called them and asked if this was the total amount we owed they said yes so I arranged to pay £9.00pcm off the arrears (I recorded the call). I then found out the £350 did not include that months usage so we owed £426 then I realised we would have built up approx £100 credit through the summer months. So the total would have been £526 I called EDF and said I dispute the amount owed I was told I had agreed to pay the arrears. I asked if they could send information on how they calculated the amount they say we owe I never received it. I have asked for this information three times by phone and once by email all of which have been ignored. So I called again and asked for the information and was promised I would receive it within two weeks surprise surprise no information forth coming.EDF have admitted they don't know when the meter went wrong or if it had even been working properly before it went blank.

I have now changed to standing orders to pay them as they constantly demand ridiculous monthly payments.Last month they tried to increase payments by 150% this was to clear the arrears quicker.
    I have explained to them I am ill and disabled and have to exist on benefits and one of my illnesses is triggered by stress and I am getting very stressed over this but they don't take any notice.
    What can I do to get the information from them that I require that they cannot ignore? I don't believe their calculations. Luckily I have just secured £135 warm home discount so that will help.
    Tags: None

Re: EDF ignoring requests for information

Make sure your enquiry is in writing and ask them for everything you need to resolve/clear up the dispute.

If you are still not happy with the outcome then read here http://www.ombudsman-services.org/energy.html
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Thanks for the reply.I shall contact them and send a letter by recorded delivery requesting information and asking for an explanation why they have ignored previous requests..

Comment

EDF again.

As Tools suggests, only communicate with these people in writing. Start to lay a paper trail that shows their incompetence and unreasonable behaviour.

Comment

Since I stopped EDF direct debits and now pay the same amount by standing order EDF are again demanding ridiculous amounts over £240 on top of what we have paid for less than three months.I have explained numerous times I am claiming benefits due to ill health and disability and have a very limited budget.We build up credit in the summer by paying for a lot more than we use and they have always accepted this when I have had to call them because they are demanding stupid amounts after taking meter readings.
          I am very suspicious of their bills which seem to be constructed in a way to create as much confusion as possible.Over 18 months ago we sold the tumble dryer,turned off the hot water and have to use kettles for washing up and the central heating is set to 15c.

Comment

maybe you should try to switch either tariffs or supplier as soon as possible I believe Ovo only have one tariff to make life easier.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X