• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Harassment for debt not in my name

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harassment for debt not in my name

First poster here, I’ll try and keep it simple, but I’m sure in doing so will incur further questions, which I’m happy to answer. Just looking for advice on how to proceed with a harassment claim against them.

My father has 2 electricity meters in his property.
    One is his responsibility (pre payment - in his name with a supplier unrelated to the one in question).
    The second is the responsibility of the housing association he rents his property from (it’s located in a cupboard inside his flat, but services the hallway (communal) lighting).

Ever since he moved in, in March 2015, he’s been receiving letters to his address, but in the name of

Staircase Lighting
    Housing H......

Advising of an outstanding balance, which requires attention.
    The bills are paid by his housing association, but they, obviously, need the bills sending to them to pay them. And in not doing so could ‘affect your credit rating’.

Both myself and the housing association have contacted said energy supplier numerous times, (I myself have raised several complaints) stating the bills are being sent to the wrong address, and have provided the correct housing association address. Each time I’m being told it’s ‘sorted’, then a few months later, my father receives another bill/correspondence for the debt.

As a result of the outstanding debt, he’s had numerous visits from the same DCA, and when he hasn’t been in they have left a letter advising of their visit. When they last visited, in November, the agent agreed that they shouldn’t have been sent there.

Since this visit in November, it appears, the address was updated, as he received no further correspondence from them. Until recently.

In May, he received 2 letters. One stating intent to obtain a warrant to gain entry (forced if need be) and a second to confirm warrant had been granted, and a date of execution. Stating entry will be forced, should access not be gained by the addressee.

After this, I raised a complaint into their head office, outlining the above, which they replied stating, firstly, as the bills were not in his name, his credit rating would not be affected. Which is fair. However, when an elderly gentleman receives a letter to his address (some which WERE addressed to him personally - usually after I raised a complaint - he doesn’t recognise this, and believes his address will be blacklisted.

They completely overlooked the harassment claim in their response, placing the blame on the meter being installed in his property and that they acted correctly in sending bills to his address.

”As the meter is located inside your fathers property, the address we have on file is correct”.

”The bills your father received were for a meter located inside his home”

They offered £100 compensation due to agreeing their “customer service team should have explained the options available to your father before now”.

I spoke to my home insurance legal services, who said there is a case for harassment, however, they’re unable to help as the issue was not inside my home.

I’ve spoken to a couple of different solicitors who advise they could proceed, but would be looking at between £300-£1000 to go over the case, then there would be legal costs on top, something my father could not afford.

I did also open a complaint with the ombudsman: energy services, but they would not investigate any harassment claim, and would only offer in the region of £30-£100 compensation.

How could one proceed with a claim against this company for harassment, without the burden of huge legal fees?

Or, should I be simply accepting their offer of £100?

If you’d like clarification on anything above, please do ask.

Thanks for any help received in advance.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X