• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

£3000 + Electricity Debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The meter is outside the flat front door on a landing and has been accessed by utility companies but nobody at the company has ever been in touch at all regarding any late payment or sent any letters until now over the past 3 years.

Comment

Weren't you contacted last year about this? They thought you were deceased or something?

Comment

No that was about a month before the utility letter

Comment

Originally posted by Ks26 View Post
          that was about a month before the utility letter

What was the reason they contacted you about a month before the utility letter, and what was your response to that?

Di

Comment

I have heard from my contacts in the Energy sector this is a possibility, but there is nothing at present saying that this would be applied retrospectively.

Until this is cleared up, the best option imho is to deal with the worst case scenario which is, if you have been making payments and requested bills then you have a defense under the Back Billing law, if not you can be told you owe this money.

HOWEVER, they cannot force you to make payments you cannot afford, you can insist on an affordable payment plan and an income and expenditure assesment.

IF it comes back that OFGEM will apply their ruling retrospectively, we hit them with everything we have

PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

It was such a shock to receive a letter from a solicitors firm on behalf of the energy company regarding my passing, I didn't respond to it.
              It was asking for the executors help with payment.
              The next month I receive the utility letter.

Comment

Hi
                I am a tad confused

In another thread you said the payments were being made by direct debit and then in this thread you said the payments were being made by standing order.

These are two completely different methods of payment - do you know which one it is?

If payments have been going out of your bank, I think they would expect you to know about it - i remember when I was in receipt of benefits, every penny really did count and it would have been noticeable if it had not been taken.

Is the flat only served by electricity? I know mine is and if that is the case £20 a week would not be unreasonable I do not think ( thats roughly 3 years for £3000)

I am a little surprised you have not heard anything at all from the company in 3 years.

The other potential issue I see is they may say you did not act promptly in trying to deal with this- understandably when they say you are dead and then land you with a bill for £3K

You received the letter to the executors in December 2017 and say you received the bill about a month later but left it until late April 2018 to ask for help on here. As I said , I can understand that as it must have been a shock

Comment

The question remains, and I must stress this, did you actually call/write to them and ask why you have not been receiving bills and has any money actually left your account?
                  PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

Hi
                    Just to clarify. I originally back in the day had spoken to them because I had a previous problem with a bill and, had (so I thought) had set upa standing order with them to pay and carry on paying the monthy amount, this was 3 years ago now.
                    I have never looked at any online account or had in the past received any reminders for non payment or anything like that. My dad pays some utility payments for me online and I give him the money monthly.
                    So basically I have not realised no payments have been made and I have not contacted them because I was unaware.of the situation. Then I receive that weird letter then the latest bill they would like me to pay.

Just asking how I should word this in a letter to them whilst trying to limit any damage.??

Comment

Ok, so you have made no payment or request for an updated bill for 3 years.

As it stands at the moment, backbilling would not apply. For back billing to apply you must have asked for a bill or questioned why payments were not being taken. IF the OFGEM regulations are applied retrospectively, we can fight with that but at present I don't have a concrete date for the application or if this will just cover debt moving forward.

Here are my suggestions:

1: you will obviously owe an amount for energy, if no payments have been made they will expect paying.
                      Pick an affordable amount that includes a £5 extra payment for arrears ( for example if £45 is affordable, say I will pay £40 a month towards my usage and £5 off the arrears)

2 write to them, or if you prefer use part (or all) of the following letter, explaining the situation and what you expect to be done. Tell them you are ready to take them to the Ombudsman if need be.

3: Let your friendly tame former customer service agent (aka moi), contact her sources at OFGEM and see what I can route out. I cannot promise anything, there is only so much being owed shedloads of coffee can do for you, but I will pull every favour I have ever been owed. Hang in there kiddo!!

Dear Sir/Madam

Re account

I have recently received your letter dated which states I have an outstanding balance of . I am shocked and alarmed at this, I had been under the impression you were receiving an amount of per month to prevent such arrears.

I am also confused and concerned at the fact it has taken you years to send me a bill, despite my requests for one. I have taken time to collect my thoughts and information, and I suggest to you that under OFGEM's backbilling regulation, I am not liable for such a bill.

I would appreciate your investigation in to this, and your response with full reasoning behind your decisions.

In the meantime, to prove my intent to make payments on the account, I suggest a remedial payment plan of £ per month, which is the maximum I can comfortably afford and includes a goodwill payment of £5 per month towards any arrears accrued in the last 12 months.

I fully dispute any arrears greater than 12 months old, and am considering taking this complaint not only to The Ombudsman, but to OFGEM themselves.

I look forward to your reply and full explanation of charges and decisions.

Yours

---------------------------------------------

What I suspect will happen:
                      Provider will tell you OFGEM do not deal with individiual complaints.
                      Provider will decline to admit backbilling exists.
                      You will no way on God's green earth get a full explanation. Not a chance! If they do I will personally eat a bacon sandwich and I hate the taste of pork completely!

The purpose of this letter is not for them to wipe the debt, it is to start off the complaints proceedure and highlight you did not know about the debt, to prove in black and white you are disputing it. It will also put your account on hold whilst I can ferret out the information we need to fight this.

What to do next:
                      Escalate, escalate, escalate. Be insistent and don't back down. You are not being awkward, you are fighting them.

Keep your head held high and if anyone barring your provider call you, tell them it is in dispute and you refuse to speak to anyone barring your provider.

Callie.

Comment

That is excellent Callie
                        thankyou so much for your time and trouble and lengthy well advised explanation.
                        I will confer with my dad and send them a letter on Monday and let you know the outcome.
                        Thanks again and regards.

Comment

I just would like to give you some laymans advice here form giving advice on Energy debt issues on another platform is that if the debt is proven and you do in fact have to make payment, do not worry whatsoever, as there is support out there for you as I would strongly recommend you go to an Energy Trust Fund to assist you in paying off this debt in full (if proven) the only other advice is I would not go near stepchange in my honest opinion at the moment because that should be your last port of call after your exhausted all potential lawful remedy to solve this yourself. Anyways good luck.

Comment

Thankyou, will bear that in mind.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X