• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

£3000 + Electricity Debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• £3000 + Electricity Debt

Hi.
    Have just received a letter today from an electricity company.
    It says 'we are about to register a payment default against you')
    I have lived in my flat for the last 3 years as a single parent with my little 3 year old girl.
    I have always thought i had a standing order with them and not having an online account ongoing always assumed this was the case. Especially as this is the very furst letter i have ever received from them.
    No previous correspondence over the last 3 years or anything.
    I am distraught with worry about this sudden letter as i am on housing benefit, income support, child henefit and tax credits.
    I have little means to pay anywhere near a fraction of this amount and have no savings.
    What legally can they expect from me?
    Would they right anything off?
    What is the best way to play this situation?
    Somebody mentioned Stepchange?
    Thanks and regards.
    Tags: None

slainte caragh Any thoughts?
    Sorry i'm just thinking out loud, it might be irrelevant, I am not employed in anyway in the legal profession, please ensure you research any advice I give before using it I have been known to be wrong on multiple occasions.

Comment

Short reply as driving back home in a few minutes.
      1 how long have you been without a bill?
      2 have you ever received a bill?
      3. Have you spoken to the company about them not taking payments?

i apologise for the shortness I am dealing with a family bereavement and am in the phone (bit carp with this thing)
      should be home tomorrow and capable of thought by then.

Callie
      PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I have never received a bill I assumed there was no problem the only contact I've had is a generic email which I imagine is sent out to all customers.

I assumed the standing order was taking care of this as first arranged, especially as there's never been a problem or any mention. I haven't contacted them as my father said I should seek advice before doing so (I only received the letter this week)

Any advice is welcome, thanks again.

Comment

Ks26 To enable forum members to be able to give you the best advice, please provide the full history should you have had previous correspondence. Don't be embarrassed that you failed to act before but it is important to provide the full details to get the best and correct advice.

Comment

As requested Only letter ever received.
            Attached Files

Comment

Have you spoke to your bank to see if there is a DD setup & have they (SP) ever requested any payments
              Sorry i'm just thinking out loud, it might be irrelevant, I am not employed in anyway in the legal profession, please ensure you research any advice I give before using it I have been known to be wrong on multiple occasions.

Comment

I had originally set up a standing order when I moved into the property. They have never requested or attempted to take any payment. I haven't received any correspondence as in mail or phone calls until this letter.

Comment

In post 1 you state "I have always thought i had a standing order with them"
                  In post 8 you state: "I had originally set up a standing order"

These are different ways of paying.
                  Which did you set up, if any? Your bank should be able to tel you.

Comment

I had when I first moved into the property as I did with all my bills

Comment

Originally posted by Ks26 View Post
                      I have always thought i had a standing order with them and not having an online account ongoing always assumed this was the case. Especially as this is the very furst letter i have ever received from them.
                      No previous correspondence over the last 3 years or anything.

. . .
                      Would they right anything off?

If you've not been sent a bill or had a meter reading for three years then it's possible that the Back-Billing Code will apply where you can't be charged for more than the last 12 months' usage.

You can read about this here > https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/h...ng-your-rights

You say you thought you had set up a Standing Order which suggests you are not disputing Scottish Power as your supplier, but you may want to dispute the amount apparently owing on the account.

Or if you don't believe you had a contract with them (never signed anything) then read this about 'deemed contract' where no signed contract is needed, and you'll be placed on a Tariff of their choice which may not be the best/most economical one for your needs > https://www.scottishpower.co.uk/pdf/...lectricity.pdf

Was there a meter reading taken by the supplier when you moved into the property which they are using to base their calculations on? Or did a previous occupier give them the first 'customer' reading which may be open to challenge?

I think your starting point should be a formal complaint to Scottish Power if they have not managed the account appropriately. Refer them to the Back-Billing Code by Ofgem.

If you don't get a satisfactory resolution then you can escalate your complaint to the Energy Ombudsman. Here's how you can do that > https://www.ombudsman-services.org/s...y/complain-now

What you want to avoid is them replacing your meter with a Pre-Payment meter where the costs are higher.

Di

Comment

Hi I am now home.

Have you made any payments at all (v important)
                        Have you ever requested a bill? (again, very important)

Backbilling is an option, but only if there have been certain criteria have been met.

1: You must have requested or enquired about a bill.
                        2: You must have enquired about why payments were not being made.
                        3: You must have provided or attempted to provide meter readings.

PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

Originally posted by slainte caragh View Post
                          Have you made any payments at all (v important)
                          Have you ever requested a bill? (again, very important)

Backbilling is an option, but only if there have been certain criteria have been met.

1: You must have requested or enquired about a bill.
                          2: You must have enquired about why payments were not being made.
                          3: You must have provided or attempted to provide meter readings.

My understanding is that from next week (when Ofgem moves from a voluntary code to banning under the strict new rules) the only obstacle to Back-Billing would be if the customer had prevented the meter from being read >

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...ond-12-months-

Di

Comment

Did you create Direct Debits or a Standing Order? With DDs the company are responsible for collecting the money, with standing orders you are in control and responsible

Comment

Originally posted by Ks26 View Post
                              I have lived in my flat

Is the meter inside the flat requiring you to provide access to a meter reader or is it outside the property?

Di

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X