• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

*** WON *** 123456 UK Passport Offices *** DISCONTINUED ****

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *** WON *** 123456 UK Passport Offices *** DISCONTINUED ****

Thread for 123456. Sorting docs.

Complaint made to ICO.

Agreement - end of July 2014.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Amethyst; 17th February 2015, 10:00:AM.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps
    Tags: None

Re: *** 123456 v BritishPassportServices ( bundles 2nd march - hearing 19 May )

So, if I understand correctly, in this case UKS&S have until the 12th May to pull out at no extra cost to themselves other than the initial £25 fee?

Comment

Charges

Attached Files
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by didactosaurus View Post
        So, if I understand correctly, in this case UKS&S have until the 12th May to pull out at no extra cost to themselves other than the initial £25 fee?
        Sadly, yes that's how it works, although you can ask for costs if they withdraw after defence/bundles etc entered - we used to call it wasted costs, but in small claims, low value, litigant in person, it's not going to be massive. I think we're looking into unreasonable behaviour costs against them so that could all help.
        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Unreasonable behaviour sounds very feasible, Amethyst. If this was a one-off case, it wouldn't look dodgy for him to pull out - however, seeing as there's a number of us in the heap and it's a commercial matter, lots of evidence to support such a contention.

Any thoughts on these statements of truth? I know 123456 is interested in these - I suppose we all would be. Would a standard statement then a list of names and court case numbers (which can easily be proven to be genuine) suffice, or would each individual have to submit a signed statement?

Comment

We'll have to do a signed witness statement, and it would have to be signed with a statement of truth. I'm going to ask Tom later about it. Bare in mind that a group of people who have court claims against them all saying a site mislead then into paying isn't as persuasive as the ASA stating it IS misleading so though it seems like a good idea it wouldn't be a killer blow.
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Would the ASA be prepared to include/add the BPS site to their ruling on the UKPO site? Or at least provide a letter to that effect?

Comment

Currently they are re-investigating UKS&S websites following the appeal made by UKS&S so all new information/complaints will I'm sure help them, although they won't say that. They won't provide a letter without complaints and an investigation taking place, and then they'd only publish their decision and consumers would use that as persuasive to court.
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

Allocation & Hearing
                  Attached Files
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                    Currently they are re-investigating UKS&S websites following the appeal made by UKS&S so all new information/complaints will I'm sure help them, although they won't say that. They won't provide a letter without complaints and an investigation taking place, and then they'd only publish their decision and consumers would use that as persuasive to court.
                    Could the original ASA ruling be used as evidence in court, or is it useless as a new investigation is ongoing?

Comment

Allocation & Hearing
                      The copies of documents that must be sent to all other parties and the court.. When do you have to do that? Do you bring them to the hearing or do you have to send them prior to the hearing?

Comment

It is standard 14 days before the hearing unless directions say otherwise, in this case it's before 2nd March. YOu always send stuff to the court before the hearing so the judge can read through it first and make directions if necessary.
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by TheCarGuy View Post
                          Could the original ASA ruling be used as evidence in court, or is it useless as a new investigation is ongoing?
                          The ASA ruling is still in force and can be used as persuasive on the misleading side of things.
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

The ASA ruling is still in force and can be used as persuasive on the misleading side of things.
                            That's exactly what we're planning to do. In the lovely 4-page letter I sent them before the claim landed, one point was to the effect that the ASA found the UK Passport Offices site (UKPO) misleading, and as it is owned and run by UK S & S, that evidences that their sites have been found to be misleading - and thus, the BPS site is equally misleading. It's a moot point but a strong one as the sites are materially similar.

I was also planning to enter in defence the letter from TLT solicitors to the ASA arguing their interpretation of the 'average consumer' - in one section their own solicitor states that the BPS site is 'content-heavy' and focussed on 'selling' their 'services', as opposed to the Government official site. I think that's a cock-up of galactic proportions, and I would dearly love to use that against them. What do you think, Amethyst?

EDIT: Although I wonder if it's wise to bring the fact BPS are appealing the ASA ruling to the court's attention? Might shoot ourselves in the foot there...

Comment

Ahh I should check threads before I email people xx As I said it will be easy to claim misleading on the UKPO site before the ASA Adjudication so all good The TLT letter includes a number of screenshots and does kind of show how 'tricky' the wording used is. PErsonally I don't think Mr Howard has an issue with Grammar and spelling at all, I think he has cleverly manipulated the wording so it doesn't quite make sense on a quick glance and if you were translating if English wasn't your first language it would just lose the negatives completely.
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X