• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Email scam/malware distribution worded as spoof solicitors letter before action :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email scam/malware distribution worded as spoof solicitors letter before action :(

I thought I'd post up this one as a new topic rather than under the long phishing emails thread because there are lots of people here dealing with debts and receiving letters from solicitors, however, a letter before action or letter of claim should be sent by post not just typed up as the body of an email.

Received the email below earlier today and it seemed genuine at first, especially in view of the fact that I've had dealings with RBS. However, it was sent to an email address I set up years ago for a specific purpose and not my personal email address, although it was redirected to my inbox. It says to make out cheques to RBS so it's not likely to be a money scam as such - they wouldn't be able to cash a cheque made out to the bank. It looks like the purpose of the email is to get you to open the attachment which purports to be a Word document. I clicked on it because I'm on my iPad and MS Office malware doesn't run on iOS devices, however, I wouldn't touch it on a PC. Nothing is displayed when I try to view the file on the iPad, which means it probably contains malware intended to run on a Windows PC rather than a document. :tinysmile_cry_t:

Aspiring Solicitors

Ref : 246842182
    Date : 02.10.2014
    Dear Sir, Madam
    Re: Our Client Royal Bank of Scotland PLC
    Account Number:02086172
    Balance: 2,345.00
    We are instructed by Royal Bank of Scotland PLC in relation to the above matter.

You are required to pay the balance of GBP 2,345.00 in full within 7(seven) days from the date of this email to avoid Country Court proceedings being issued against you. Once proceedings have been issued, you will be liable for court fees and solicitors costs detailed below.

Court Fees GBP 245.00

Solicitors Costs GBP 750.00

Cheques or Postal Orders should be made payable to Royal Bank of Scotland PLC and sent to the address in attachment below quoting the above account number.
    We are instructed by our Client that they can accept payment by either Debit or Credit Card.If you wish to make a payment in this wa, then please contact us with your Card details. We will then pass these details on to our Client in order that they may process your agreed payment. Kindly note that any payment made will be shown on your Bank and/or Credit Card Statement as being made to Royal Bank of Scotland PLC
    If you have any queries regarding this matter or have a genuine reason for non payment, you should contact us within 7 days from the date of this email to avoid legal proceedings being issued against you, by filling the contact us form in attachment below.

Yours faithfully,
    Carly Beck
    Aspiring Solicitors

Department CCD, Box 449
    Upper Ground Floor
    1-5 Queens Road Quadrant
    Brighton
    BN1 3XJ
    United Kingdom

Re: Email scam/malware distribution worded as spoof solicitors letter before action :

Looks like Aspiring Solicitors are already aware of the scam emails: http://www.aspiringsolicitors.co.uk/...licitors-name/

Comment

Re: Email scam/malware distribution worded as spoof solicitors letter before action :

Seems a lot of people have had this today, see here http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...429#post530429
      Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Snap. I had 2 today.

Comment

A zip hidden as a word doc file common enough for PC's whereas the hierarchical structure of the Mac precludes this being run a DMG's :-) Never liked PC's and I can trace my computer roots back to ZX80's and PET's :tongue2:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X