• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Preloved.co.uk camera scam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preloved.co.uk camera scam

I recently was scammed for £2500 from an advert on preloved.co.uk claiming to sell 'Cannon EOS 5D MARK 3 AND 4 LENSES' from a Jeffrey (Jeff) and Anthea Douglas. The wrong spelling should have warned me.

They said their location was Kirkwall, Orkney and used an email address 'jadeorganictrees@hotmail.co.uk'.

I feel so stupid as I initially paid with PayPal and this was then refunded after they couldn't get the money for 28 days, so I foolishly paid with a bank transfer!

Upon investigation the email address is shown as from a location near Ullapool, address: The Byre, Rhireavach, Scoraig, Dundonell, Garve, Ross-shire, IV23 2RE. Whether the email address was used fraudulently or not I don't know.

I paid into a Halifax bank account:
    sort code 11-18-11
    account 30557003.
    Action Fraud are aware but they basically said I'll never get the money back and that was before they investigated. Any advice or help much appreciated. I am devastated with what happened.

PM for more details.

Re: Preloved.co.uk camera scam

If it's of any help, Jeff and Anthea Douglas do seem to exist, from electorial rolls in 2004.

http://www.192.com/atoz/people/dougl...23/1079763452/

You will have to pay to get the full address, which may be the same address as you have currently.

As you say though, if the email address has been used fraudulently then Jeff and Anthea may be innocent parties.

Comment

OK. Thank you. I have lost enough now so it is up to the authorities to check the details and find the perpetrators whether the names/email have been used fraudulently or not. I just want others to be aware to avoid suffering the same loss as I have.

Comment

This is just easy money for the fraudsters, the authorities just don't seem to be taking it seriously enough, fraud hasn't really gone down its just gone online!

Comment

Thankyou so much for posting this. They currently have 2x listings on ebay which I was interested in, but did my own investigation after bidding and found your post. I felt compelled to register to the site just to provide this update in the hopes that these people wont catch others out.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/1490jeffrey/m.html?item=221855373209&cp=1&sojTags=exe%3Dexe%2C ext%3Dext&ext=32470&exe=12742&euid=11acf4bf676b4de 7bc4c9b8825c4ed2b&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

I would imagine that they have stolen the credentials\accounts details of Jeff, and are continuing to use the accounts sporadically. I confronted him directly via ebay messages, he denied it of course, but hasn't responded since my last message. I've also reported the listing as fraudulent to ebay.

Key Words for searches: Scam, scammed, 1490jeffrey, Cannon Lens

I too have the address that's listed for the business as well as a phone number that was supplied from ebay. Please feel free to contact me if you require them.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I gave all the details over to Action Fraud who came back after 4 months and said they would not pursue it any further. So sadly someone else will be caught out yet again.

I am not sure if this was the same person but if the name, company name are the same then it is likely to be the same person(s). They are not very bright so not a surprise that they are up to the same again - its amazing what you can find out through Facebook!

My only hope is that 'karma' will eventually play its part and justice will prevail.

D

Comment

For further info. I was told that Jeffery Douglas is the real name of the individual involved and although he states to live in Ullapool, Scotland, he actually lives near Oldham and has worked at an e-cig emporium in Staybridge. But I was also told that he has strong connections with that part of Scotland. I'd be cautious of dealing with anyone using similar names from that part of the world.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X