• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Originally posted by Tools View Post
    JUst about to go out for a few hours but I will look it over in more detail when I get back.

Thanks so much for your help Tools. I have added the bit and posted the letter to the address given.

Thanks once again.

Comment

This scam is still going on today 2015. Me and my partner har been scammed by the same con. 28/7/2015 was looking for a car on gumtree had been looking for days came across a vauxhall corsa 2010. My partner started communicating with the person via email. They stated they was inheriting a car from their son as he was immigrating. My partner just really wanted the car. They even sent more pics of the car with more details.The scammer even put a picture up on google of a family to make the story sound plausible. Anyway we handed over £2,200 I went in to my bank which is natwest and made a payment to a BARCLAYS account to the name of e.ismail sort code 202360 53218414. They used a fake ebay email with a fake live chat button. We have reported it to the banks action fraud the police. There is most probebly no chance we will get our money back but we are not going to stop trying. I feel so embarrassed and stupid right now I'm usually so careful with things.. I suppose we were just so desperate for a car and the deal just seemed to good.. Yea too good to be true. I wish I had looked up things but hey u live and you learn. The money was sent on the 29th July 2015 at 12.50 via a single branch payment. Let the bank know the next day when realised we were being scammed when the scammer asked for another 2,200 for insurance purposes to prevent money laundering.. Has any one got there money back of barclays as I feel they are at faught for negligence. Let me know pls

Comment

hi, I have just come across your forum. I too have been scammed by an advert on the 17th july for a vw t4 on gumtree. I have lost £3495. I enquired about the van and on reading a lot of the posts on here it seems I was fed a very similar story. I was contacted by a lucy and given a email account to contact lucy6@btservice.co.uk or lucy@btservice.co.uk. also I have a couple of phone numbers which might be useful to you. 07459 559939 and 07459 457330. I have copies of the ebay and fake paypal letters they sent me to convince me the money was going into a holding account and would not be released to them until I was happy with the vehicle.
        I transferred the money into a Barclays account. number 93731030, sortcode 206328, name Pawel Pradzinski. the money was transferred at 16.09 on the 17th july. I saw the same vehicle back on gumtree later that evening but listed by a different person, so this made me think it was a scam. I had checked the vehicle was insured taxed and moted which all came back ok. I later found the same pictures on a ebay listing from a couple of weeks before of the genuine van being sold. I phoned my bank that evening and reported this crime. I also went on the action fraud website and reported it and got a crime reference number. I had to ring back my bank NatWest the next morning after a sleepless night as the fraud department was not open until 8am. they said Barclays were difficult to deal with and would not deal with them and gave me an email address, reportascam@barclays.com. I sent them a message straight away with my details, the fraudsters details and all the evidence I had. They said it would take up to 30 days to investigate and they would respond in writing. I had a letter on Saturday saying they had managed to recover £38 which is a joke and that I could have this money if I signed a letter saying that I would agree that it is a final settlement and that I agree that they take no responsibility in this matter and that I will not ever talk about it with anyone other than law enforcement. £38 to buy my silence. I would gladly loose all the money if it meant Barclays sorted out their affairs and stopped being an accomplice in these crimes. thanks. I have more details if you wish to email me

the letter I received from barclays came from the following address.

Clive Watkins I Investigations BSD | Global Fraud Operations
        Swift House, Ground Floor, East Wing
        Longwood Close, Westwood Business Park
        Coventry, CV4 8JN - Mail Area 5[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by scooby99 View Post
          hi, I have just come across your forum. I too have been scammed by an advert on the 17th july for a vw t4 on gumtree. I have lost £3495. I enquired about the van and on reading a lot of the posts on here it seems I was fed a very similar story. I was contacted by a lucy and given a email account to contact lucy6@btservice.co.uk or lucy@btservice.co.uk. also I have a couple of phone numbers which might be useful to you. 07459 559939 and 07459 457330. I have copies of the ebay and fake paypal letters they sent me to convince me the money was going into a holding account and would not be released to them until I was happy with the vehicle.
          I transferred the money into a Barclays account. number 93731030, sortcode 206328, name Pawel Pradzinski. the money was transferred at 16.09 on the 17th july. I saw the same vehicle back on gumtree later that evening but listed by a different person, so this made me think it was a scam. I had checked the vehicle was insured taxed and moted which all came back ok. I later found the same pictures on a ebay listing from a couple of weeks before of the genuine van being sold. I phoned my bank that evening and reported this crime. I also went on the action fraud website and reported it and got a crime reference number. I had to ring back my bank NatWest the next morning after a sleepless night as the fraud department was not open until 8am. they said Barclays were difficult to deal with and would not deal with them and gave me an email address, reportascam@barclays.com. I sent them a message straight away with my details, the fraudsters details and all the evidence I had. They said it would take up to 30 days to investigate and they would respond in writing. I had a letter on Saturday saying they had managed to recover £38 which is a joke and that I could have this money if I signed a letter saying that I would agree that it is a final settlement and that I agree that they take no responsibility in this matter and that I will not ever talk about it with anyone other than law enforcement. £38 to buy my silence. I would gladly loose all the money if it meant Barclays sorted out their affairs and stopped being an accomplice in these crimes. thanks. I have more details if you wish to email me

the letter I received from barclays came from the following address.

Clive Watkins I Investigations BSD | Global Fraud Operations
          Swift House, Ground Floor, East Wing
          Longwood Close, Westwood Business Park
          Coventry, CV4 8JN - Mail Area 5
          [/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for your contribution and helpful information. I have been given the same details by Tools Admin and sent off a letter and received the same reply that there is nothing Barclays are going to do about it and my £5000 is gone into the air through their Bank. It has been a terrible time for me and my wife during these past weeks and I still don't know how we can cope as its been a long sleepless nights and nightmare. I have been asked to consult the Financial Ombudsman and I don't know if you have any information regarding that. I am not going to allow this to go away and I am seriously looking into other possible ways to get this taken on. Please if you have any information let us make available on this forum to help others.
          Thanks to you and Tools Admin for all your help.

Comment

Waste of time complaining to the ombudsman as they "DONT COVER ACCOUNT OPENING PROCEDURES"?? . I suggest every victim contacts the fca (especially if stolen funds went to a barclays account) ,they told me that they don't look at individual cases but if lots of complaints are logged somethink MIGHT BE DONE OR INVESTIGATED. As for barclays i would urge all victims to WRITE to mr john macfarlane,c.e.o, @ barclays canary wharf london

Comment

Originally posted by dixie2013 View Post
              Waste of time complaining to the ombudsman as they "DONT COVER ACCOUNT OPENING PROCEDURES"?? . I suggest every victim contacts the fca (especially if stolen funds went to a barclays account) ,they told me that they don't look at individual cases but if lots of complaints are logged somethink MIGHT BE DONE OR INVESTIGATED. As for barclays i would urge all victims to WRITE to mr john macfarlane,c.e.o, @ barclays canary wharf london
              I got scammed aswell i lost 11,500 just 2 weeks ago...these scum bags are still working hard to scam people and actionfraud police are doing nothing about it...i got the same letter from Clive from barclays

Comment

Originally posted by law356 View Post
                Thanks for the post, I've just been 'stinged' and scammed by this same Lucy@btdrive.co.uk, first coming on as range55@btdrive.co.uk to the tune of £5000. 00 even though I think I'm immune to this guys because I work in IT. I'm so ashamed of myself and still having a sleepless nights.
                Knowing what it is to loose hard earned cash, I hope there should be a stop to this to save others going through this same trauma and find out why is it only Barclays Bank that is being used for this atrocity. I switched my account from Barclays to Satander and I was almost asked to bring my great- great- grandmother as an identification to verify who I am after all other documents. Why is it easy for someone to open Barclays account with false identities and still get away with it- maybe 'inside job'. Before the money was transferred, I visit a Barclays Bank and I was told the account is valid and there is no problem paying into it but after I paid and went back to the same branch I was told its a fraudulent account.

The details sent from 'PayPal' is produced below for others to be aware:

How to proceed from this moment?
                The conventional method of transferring funds to a PayPal member cannot be used due to the large amount that must be paid.
                Payment must be submitted via bank transfer to the PayPal representative bank account assigned for this transaction. PayPal will secure the payment until the Buyer receives, inspects and accepts the vehicle. Or, if it is the case, PayPal will refund the payment to the Buyer.
                Protecting tahe security of your payment is our primary concern.

PayPal representative Bank account* : Payment details:
                Bank Name: Barclays
                Account number: 03355985
                Sort code: 20-76-90
                Beneficiary Name: Claudiu Mitrasca

*Bacs, CHAPS and Faster Payments are accepted.

Invoice#: 17873129

Subtotal: £5,000.00

Shipping(Free): £0.00

Deposit: £0.00

Total: £5,000.00

Please let me know if there is any way of following this up and the help to get the money refunded.

Thanks for everyone that has posted and help on this forum.
                Ive been a victim of this scam aswell, and lost 11,500. We need to join forces and get our money back from Barclays, ive also been dealing with Clive.

- - - Updated - - -

Ive been a victim of the same scam and lost £11,500... no one want to hear my story and no one is willing to help, Barclays and action fraud are doing nothing about it

Comment

Nearly got done by lucy@bt zone this morning, me being naive, and still wanting mycamper van, was emailed by sandrajon00@gmail.com giving me all the old flannel of which I've been reading about. I nearly fell for it. But for my wife sending up a red flag,so found this site and read everyone's comments realising I've been very lucky, thanks to every one . beware of Sandra Jones.

Comment

Hi, just thought Id best contribute to this to let you know that my husband and I have just almost been scammed by this. My hubby was on gumtree as we are currently looking for a van. A fantastic offer came up for a Vauxhall Vivaro. 2014. Low Milage and too good to be true price. But we thought email and see what happens. So we expressed our interest and got an email back from a Marzia Robson (marzirob@aol.co.uk) saying she was selling the van as she was getting divorced from her cheating husband and was looking for a quick sale. We emailed back to say great, can we come to Aberdeen to have a look. She said that she was in Germany doing a medical course and ebay would be sorting the sale and delivery for her and if we were still interested they would send us a confirmation email and invoice. we received the invoice and this was when alarm bells really started ringing as the account wasn't an ebay account like we expected or even in the sellers name, the details are as follows;

Details for transaction #GUM08273988
                    Item title: Your invoice for eBay Motors purchase - 2014 VAUXHALL VIVARO 2.0CDTi Sportive 2900, Reg NO: DS14 OKB
                    Sale price: £ 4,550.00
                    Quantity: 1
                    Subtotal: £ 4,550.00
                    Shipping & Handling: £ 0.00
                    Date of sale: 09/06/2015
                    Total price:
                    £

And the Account the money was to be transferred into (within 1 working day)

To submit the payment, provide your bank with the information of the eBay Motors below:
                    eBay Motors representative's bank account * :

Account Name: MARIUS IRIMIA
                    Bank Name: BARCLAYS BANK
                    Sort Code: 2 0 - 3 6 - 1 6
                    Account Number: 1 3 0 3 1 6 8 3
                    Amount Transferred: £ 4,550.00
                    We emailed Marzia to say we weren't happy with the payment method and she has been very vague in her responses but has tried to assure us that it is an ebay account and everything is above board. So all afternoon we have been looking at sites and scams etc.. then we came across this one and thank goodness we never fell for it but they are very clever and it seems very genuine with ebay logos etc... and sent from what seems like an ebay email address which is payment@e-b-a-y-motors.co.uk. We were almost £4550 lighter and I hope this post prevents it from happening to anyone else.

Comment

Gumtree scam currently for a BMW 1 series. The message is as follows
                      Hello,

My name is Lauren, happy to see you are interested in my BMW. Let me give you a few details about it. 46,023 miles, no damage, 1 owner. Full clear HPI report, 2 keys, V5, logbook, service book and all handbooks. The vehicle comes with Full Service History, 12 months MOT. The price was reduced at £3.200. I'm in a hurry to find a buyer before October 8. I work for an American company and I will leave the country for a year or more. Hate to sell it but its not worth keeping insurance and paying storage fees for a year.
                      If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.
                      Best Regards

Hi again Chris,

We are training, getting ready for leaving the country. The car is already at the shipping company sealed in their warehouse in Barry, The Vale Of Glamorgan, (ready for delivery). The deal is handled by eBay so I don't have much to do about it. Using eBay Buyer Protection Program, you get free shipping, at your place in 2 or 3 days. In addition, you get 5 days to try it out before buying it, and if you don't like it, you can send it back at my expense. For more info on how it works, I can ask eBay to send you an email with more details on how to buy it. They will contact you shortly, as soon as I have some personal details. If you would like to receive the email from eBay with all the transaction information, please reply with your whole name, address and phone # and they will contact you right away.

Best Regards
                      Lauren

On 9/29/2015 7:28 PM, Chris Bentley wrote:
                      I could come and view the car this week depending on where you are?

Thanks

On 29 Sep 2015, at 18:57, Lauren Kerr <kerrmlauren@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

My name is Lauren, happy to see you are interested in my BMW. Let me give you a few details about it. 46,023 miles, no damage, 1 owner. Full clear HPI report, 2 keys, V5, logbook, service book and all handbooks. The vehicle comes with Full Service History, 12 months MOT. The price was reduced at £3.200. I'm in a hurry to find a buyer before October 8. I work for an American company and I will leave the country for a year or more. Hate to sell it but its not worth keeping insurance and paying storage fees for a year.
                      If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.
                      Best

Hi,

I am interested in the BMW you have for sale on Gumtree. Would you be willing to accept any offers for it?

Thanks

Chris

Comment

• Re: Ebay, Gumtree &amp; Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ion-month.html

Crime toll to rise by THREE MILLION as figures finally cover fraud: Top officer reveals cyber scams will push the total to 10 million next month

• Adrian Leppard, commissioner of City of London Police, warned fellow bosses about the extra three million offences
                        • The rise will take the total number of crimes to more than ten million a year
                        • Undermines the Government's insistence that society is becoming safer and raises fresh concerns about billions being cut from police budgets

Comment

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/late...d-UK-eBay-scam

EXCLUSIVE: AutoTrader fraudsters targeting millions of Brits in eBay car-buying scam

MILLIONS of Brits are being targeted by fraudsters on car-selling site AutoTrader in an elaborate eBay scam, we can reveal.

Comment

Lucy is now busy with her scam using a camper van WA03 JYG. The motorhome appeared on eBay and I messaged the vendor to enquire about it's MOT. I received texts to both my numbers leaving acontact email address - office1@btplus.co.uk

Replies then came from lucy@btplus.co.uk

After a few emails I got the impression that there was definitely something suspect - the same story about being in Scotland (Dundee) for work, free delivery and safety of PayPal protection, etc..

I emailed to ask for the VIN number and made it quite clear that without the VIN and viewing the vehicle at the vendor's address then I wasn't going to proceed.

No more emails from Lucy... Googled eBay scams and, hey presto, up popped this site and Lucy's victims.

It sounds as if I've been very lucky. Can supply pictures, eBay item number and emails if you want them?

Comment

Hi,

I believe the following may be a scam:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/business-s...mpaign=adreply
                              Last edited by Bgill123; 27th October 2015, 17:48:PM.

Comment

Quite possibly, it was reported previously here http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...aud-AU08-AHC-0

If so this is a new approach for them, offering hire rather than sale.

What is giving you reason to suspect it is, have you been speaking with them via email, if so forward them on to julian.siddle@legalbeagles.info and I will take a look, I can usually spot a scammer a mile off
                                Last edited by Tools; 26th October 2015, 23:38:PM.
                                Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X