• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle Scam. Barclays provide Fraudsters Accounts

byrd@optician.com just sent me another email with some useful header info that I'll provide to Action Fraud if they get back to me, I guess he hasn't tried logging into eBay today

I can't edit the original table, but here are the three extra lines, with some familiar bank branches:

Ian Pascu 20-92-63 63100316 Barclays Wembley & Park Royal 2
    Carla Chiosila 20-95-61 73420760 Barclays Whetstone
    Cristian Brian 20-95-61 73816850 Barclays Whetstone

For those interested, the text at http://pastebin.com/Gddq2f4g can be saved as a .KML file and opened in Google Earth. This shows the locations of the branches in the list. There may be errors due to Barclays having multiple branches in certain areas but you'll get an idea of their distribution.
    Last edited by Rod Jones; 28th April 2013, 11:37:AM.

Comment

Well I have had my letter from Barclay's.

Well well well, seems they operate a stringent customer identification verification process .............Really I think NOT.

Part of letter as follows.

When we are approached by a customer to open an account, current Money Laundering legislation requires us to operate A STRINGENT CUSTOMER IDENTIFICATION AND VERIFICATION PROCESS. If we do not comply with these regulations the sanctions we face are severe; ultimately, this could lead to the withdrawal of our Banking Licence. Once we receive information that suggests an account may have been opened using fraudulent documentation we will investigate and act as appropriate. Due to data protection reasons, we are unable to provide you with any information regarding our investigations into this account, or the actions we have taken. REALLY !! they refused to take the info I had on a fraudulent account.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any frustration caused by this issue and the level of service you received from our Fraud Team. As you have willingly made this payment to the account in question, this would be considered a buyer/seller dispute. I understand you have now pursued your claim for the return of the funds through the Police and we will co-operate fully with their investigations. FOR CLARITY, it is not for Barclays to determine the legitimacy of a payment beneficiary and we cannot subsequently make a judgement on one party's entitlement, or otherwise, to funds that have been WILLINGLY paid. You may wish to seek independent legal advice over how to proceed with the account holder involved. In view of the above I am unable to offer a refund or UPHOLD your complaint.

Please accept this as my final findings based on all the information I have relating to your complaint.

Once again, we are sorry for the problems you have experienced, thank you for letting us know. We take all complaints very seriously and value your feedback to help us identify where we can improve in the future.

Comment

"current Money Laundering legislation requires us to operate A STRINGENT CUSTOMER IDENTIFICATION AND VERIFICATION PROCESS"

and yet

"it is not for Barclays to determine the legitimacy of a payment beneficiary"

That's disgraceful. Have you considered going to the press? I doubt the upmarket papers such as The Guardian or far-right trash such as the Daily Mail would be interested, but it could be one for the tabloids nevertheless.

It may be right up the street of Penman and Sommerlad:-
        http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/investigations/

Sun Justice appears to be more about child protection, but I could be wrong:-
        http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/justice/
        Last edited by Rod Jones; 28th April 2013, 11:50:AM.

Comment

The letter received from Barclay's is the same as the one received. Their last paragraph advised that our complaint had not been upheld and referred us to the Ombudsman.

Someone has already reported this to the Independent News paper on Friday 19th April >>>>

Barclays accused in eBay car sale scam

Hoping to snap up a bargain online, John Knight has instead become the latest victim of a sophisticated fraud.

SIMON READ

FRIDAY 19 APRIL 2013

Comment

Here's the link to that Independent article: http://www.independent.co.uk/money/s...m-8580967.html

Be warned: there are some blame-the-victim idiots in the comments.

Comment

Stupid question time, but how come all the scammers accounts seem to be with Barclays ? Am I missing something here or is it Barclays are not doing their job properly and checking the people out when opening the accounts.

Comment

Barclay's appear to be making it up as they go along. They say that as soon as they are made aware of inappropriate conduct they took steps to close the account immediately. In our case i can prove that this is not correct. From the date we advised them to the date the account was closed was exactly 3 weeks. My argument is that had they closed or froze the account the majority of our money would still have been there. I hardly think that the account holder would have gone in to make a complaint, do you ?

Comment

Absolutely no they would not, I'm just shocked that there's so much of this going on.

Comment

The whole thing makes no sense to me Sapph.

Comment

Originally posted by alibee57 View Post
                      ... I understand you have now pursued your claim for the return of the funds through the Police and we will co-operate fully with their investigations.
                      Do they suppose that they really have a choice?

Please accept this as my final findings based on all the information I have relating to your complaint.
                      So now you can refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service, who may have something to say about what appears to have been negligence by Barclays.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Jones View Post
                        Sun Justice appears to be more about child protection
                        Probably from guilt at having printed photos of a topless child (Sam Fox) on page 3. :tinysmile_aha_t:

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Jones View Post
                          "current Money Laundering legislation requires us to operate A STRINGENT CUSTOMER IDENTIFICATION AND VERIFICATION PROCESS"

and yet

"it is not for Barclays to determine the legitimacy of a payment beneficiary"
                          Originally posted by Sapphire View Post
                          Stupid question time, but how come all the scammers accounts seem to be with Barclays ? Am I missing something here or is it Barclays are not doing their job properly and checking the people out when opening the accounts.
                          Originally posted by Inca View Post
                          The whole thing makes no sense to me Sapph.
                          It could make sense, if the person opening the account(s) had presented the appropriate documentation, opened a personal account in their own name and then opened a business account in a "trading name". All we can see are the trading names belonging to the business accounts...

Comment

Two possible scenarios:
                            1) The other banks have additional vetting procedures in place which Barclays don't bother with
                            2) Inside job, all accounts set up by one member (or a handful of members) of staff

Comment

What vetting procedures are used when someone applies to open an account for the first time?

They will require photographic proof of identity (passport or driver's licence) and proof of their address - Council Tax bill, utility bill, etc. And that's about it. The bank will doubtless search various databases for anything known about the person and some banks might reject an application because there is no trace of the person anywhere.

Forging a CT or utility bill is hardly difficult but forging a passport or driver's licence is - or should be - much less easy; it is, however, not impossible and it is much easier if the forger uses a blank passport that has been stolen on its way from the printers to the passport office. Yes, this does happen; no, the blank passports are not carried in armoured lorries.

Comment

In our case we have managed to establish that the account was opened using a Romanian id card and a HSBC bank statement. Don't know about anyone else but to me that does not seem sufficient identification.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X